Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Idle time/start driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 07:24 AM
stanggt
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idle time/start driving

I have been using my block heater overnight and the motor starts right up in the morning. I wait for the start light to go out to start the truck and then idle for a minute or two. I then start driving. Is this enough time or should I wait a little longer?
I have read the threads about idle time (start and stop) but nothing was ever really discussed about using the block heater. Thanks,
Larry

Old 01-14-2003, 09:12 AM
sud z
Freshman User
Idle time/start driving

Larry,

You may not want to keep the block heater plugged in all night. Draws alot of current, and you will notice it on your electric bill. Some folks have the block-heater plugged into a timer that turns it on maybe 2-hours before your gonna start it up. You know, one of those timers that turns your house lights on when your not home. Just make sure it can handle the current.

As far as idle time. Many opinions, but the consensus, in my opinion is...
1. start, 2. don't do anything until the oil pressure idiot light goes out, 3. drive gingerly (don't exceede 1,800 rpm) until the temp. gauge moves, then drive normally. Because you had it plugged in, the difference will be that your motor will probably warm up a little quicker than one not plugged in.

Idling the motor doesn't really warm it up. It needs a load, so drive it. Just don't drive it hard until its warm.

My 2-bits.
-Sud z

Old 01-14-2003, 09:18 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Idle time/start driving

I use a timer to activate the block heater about 2-3 hours before I'm going to drive. You can pick one up at Home Depot. As sud z said, a diesel will not warm up idling. The idling is not good for the engine anyway, so avoid idling for extended periods of time (except when cooling down). I usually watch the power meter on my dash to see when the glow plugs are off and then drive keeping it at low RPM's until the engine is warmed up.

Old 01-14-2003, 10:21 AM
89greyghost
Freshman User
Idle time/start driving

i plug mine in when it goes under 30. start it wait for oil pressure to come up then kick it in to high idle untill it goes off and drive off just like normal. then to idel down i just let it id about 5 min .

Old 01-14-2003, 12:26 PM
Ghostrider304
Senior User
Idle time/start driving

If idleing the engine is so bad for warm up then why does it speed up to a high idle under conditions under 40*. That and the oil has to have a few minutes to get out in and around all the parts of the engine.

So tell me why would Ford bother to put a system on that idles the engine up if it shouldn't be done at all, hell it take 2mins for it to go to high idle.

Will-

Old 01-14-2003, 12:31 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Idle time/start driving

The time spent going to high idle isn't what most would consider extended idling. Usually when it's really cold the glow plugs stay activated well after the wait to start light goes off. I usually wait until the glow plugs are off to start driving.

Old 01-14-2003, 01:15 PM
equine_21
New User
Post Idle time/start driving

How do you know when the glow plugs are off? Sorry but I have been driving PS for 6 years and don't know that rule of thumb? Is ther something I'm missing or is it just a generalized time?

Old 01-14-2003, 01:25 PM
stanggt
Junior User
Idle time/start driving

From what I understand, watch your volt meter gauge. You will see the volts are real low while the glow plugs are energized. When they turn off your volts will jump up to normal. This is usually when I start driving.
Larry

Old 01-14-2003, 01:44 PM
equine_21
New User
Post Idle time/start driving

Thanks for the prompt reply. It makes since to me since the plugs draw so much from the electrical system.
Rickey

Old 01-14-2003, 06:04 PM
mediumfry
Freshman User
Idle time/start driving

I realize the glow plugs draw hard on the electrical system, but if your alternator(s) is working OK shouldn't the voltage stay up anyhow? My glow plugs work fine and I can't see any difference in voltage when they turn on/off, even with daytime running lights and accessories running.

If y'all are seeing voltage drops due to glow plug operation, I'd consider having the alternator load tested.

Old 01-14-2003, 07:08 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Idle time/start driving

>I realize the glow plugs draw hard on the electrical system,
>but if your alternator(s) is working OK shouldn't the
>voltage stay up anyhow? My glow plugs work fine and I can't
>see any difference in voltage when they turn on/off, even
>with daytime running lights and accessories running.
>
>If y'all are seeing voltage drops due to glow plug
>operation, I'd consider having the alternator load tested.

You should notice a difference in voltage with the glow plugs on. If you don't notice a difference, I'd have your glow plugs tested. It is normal for them to draw this kind of power, assuming they are working. Not an alternator problem at all.

Old 01-15-2003, 01:10 PM
Waxy
Postmaster
Idle time/start driving

Johnsdiesel is righ that your diesel won't warm up at a low idle. That's why Ford puts a high idle system in the truck and why if you don't have one, you should invest in one.

Allowing the truck to warm up at a high idle (any where from 300-500RPM above normal) for between 5 and 10 mins (depending on how cold it is and if the truck was plugged in) is NOT harmful, it will INCREASE engine life. Allow the truck to idle AT LEAST until your temp gauge starts to register. Warm the truck up using high idle rather than driving it cold to warm it up (a bad idea IMHO). It allows the engine to operate without a load, and you won't be tempted to put your foot in it before it's warm. Plugging the truck in will greatly reduce the required warm up time and therefore limit the amount of time it has to idle, also good.

Waxy

Old 01-15-2003, 02:11 PM
stanggt
Junior User
Idle time/start driving

What exactly is a high idle system and where do you get one? my 95 F250 PS only idle's around 600 so I assume I don't have this system installed...
Thanks,
Larry

Old 01-15-2003, 02:40 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Idle time/start driving

>What exactly is a high idle system and where do you get one?
> my 95 F250 PS only idle's around 600 so I assume I don't
>have this system installed...
>Thanks,
>Larry

You can either buy an auxillary idle control system from Ford or check out this link for one.

http://concepttechnology.com/products/disc.htm

I remember seeing a factory Ford unit on Ebay recently, check there.

Old 01-15-2003, 02:46 PM
bricot
Elder User
Idle time/start driving

I just got the manual for mine, time to read it and figure out how to set it

Quick Reply: Idle time/start driving