Sponsored by:

Best advice you've ever had?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 10:51 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Best advice you've ever had?

We always get questions about what to bring wheeling, how to wheel, how to beef our trucks, etc. What was the best advice you've ever been given regarding wheeling, and by who?

I'll start. My grandpappy always told me to assume the worst would happen, bring enough tools to fix the worst, and learn how to do the neccesary field repairs. He always carried a variety of tools; come-a-longs, jacks, flares, dynamite, wrenches, and of course, ample cigars and a flask. Taught me to be self reliant and how to repair an axle with duct tape and bailing wire

Allright, let them come. Best advice and who. Could be simple, or even something you learned from someone on this board. Figure as we compile a list of the "best advice" this might become a good thread to help answer some of those "rookie" questions. We were all rookies once...

Old 03-30-2004, 11:05 PM
hoxiii
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here are a couple of bits of wisdo my dad imparted upon me:
"ALWAYS carry a shovel."
Followed by a story about high centering on a boulder in his scout II, had to dig the boulder out from under the truck (confirmed by my uncle)

"If you see someone stuck, stop and help. You know you're going to be the next person that's stuck."

"NEVER start bragging."

"If you're stuck, look for the guy with the most beat to **** truck. He's the one taht'll b best equipped and most eager to help."

"When you're in the sand, the guy in the dune buggy is your best friend."

Justin

Old 03-31-2004, 12:28 AM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
One of my good buddies passed on a catchy little saying some time back: "When in doubt power out." I always remember this when I hit a big mudhole. If I'm slowing down or feel like I'm losing footing I stand on the gas . . . never fails.

One of the best pieces of advice I've had came from the guys on this forum in regards to winches or tow straps. Always lay a blanket or coat over the cable or strap so if that sucker breaks it won't go flying through a windshield and kill someone. My neighbor had a hook come loose and just about put a hole through his tailgate. Safety first!!!

Old 03-31-2004, 12:44 AM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
solid axles.....on both ends...

Old 03-31-2004, 07:02 AM
JeremyH
Posting Guru
"Always carry a first aid kit:"

Family Friend.

Old 03-31-2004, 08:13 AM
Djoffroad
Senior User
NEVER listen to bistandards

NEVER go without another vehicle

NEVER go first (that's what I'm for)

Always be prepared to stay the night

If you have used the tool on your truck, bring it.

Old 03-31-2004, 01:01 PM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
I like to bring at least a sweatshirt and a jug of water. Of course, I have an entire toolbox full of stuff. I have a chain, clevis, jumper cables, MREs, blanket, oil, tire chains, flashlight, etc. I don't push it to the breaking point, but I have been stuck, and there is nothing more frustrating than having someone stop, willing to help, and neither have the chain or jumper cables. Why rely on the good Samaritan? Bring it yourself

Old 03-31-2004, 03:37 PM
RawPower
Postmaster
"Dont look down the muzzle of a gun"

No-just kidding.
Be prepaired-someone mentioned it earlier.

Old 03-31-2004, 04:42 PM
KJKozak2
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The best advice I got for off-roading was "Buy a Ford".

Best mod advice was "get bigger tires". You can jack the frame and body 8 feet off the ground if you want, but if you only have 10" from the dif to the trail, you're gonna get stuck.

For on the trails, let the little guy go first. Most little guys wouldn't be able to pull out the big dogs if they get stuck.

And don't drink while wheelin'. Most poeple will do dumb enough stuff stone cold sober, and don't need any encouragement from Jack. Save that for when you're stuck for the night or back at camp.

K.

Old 03-31-2004, 04:54 PM
824x4ride
Senior User
the first best advice i ever receved was "ditch the chevy and buy a ford"
the second was "know your terrain" .... this came into effect after one day of wheeling in a 79 ramcharger with 38's and not knowing about the massive sink hole infront of us, it had alot of tall grass growing around it as well in it so it looked like a simple dip in the ground and or maybe a small mud hole...and to our suprise it was big enough to drown an elephant in ....no we didnt roll the rancharger but after it we got it planted good in the hole along with the radical endo we did into the hole you could sit on the roof of it like it was a crapper.....so after the very rough ride and taking 4 hours to get it out i now atleast know a little about the terrain iam wheeling on.

Old 03-31-2004, 07:15 PM
highboy1975
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
always treat it like its loaded

Old 03-31-2004, 07:48 PM
tite4x4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clean under shorts for those brown racing strips. For those times when your heart is about to pop out of your throat.

Old 03-31-2004, 08:00 PM
78fordman
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
never bog a chevy and it you are making a mud bogger, suspensoin lift and tires. Warn hubs and remember, where oil can get out, water can get in. And get a locker in both axles, like the difference between 4x4 and 4x2 opens, big difference. Where most trucks get stuck, i can park my 78 green machine.

Old 03-31-2004, 10:10 PM
79driver
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ill definately agree with hoxiii, dune buggys are your best friend in sand. i carry my four wheeler in my truck so i can get back to a road if i get stuck. Also good for scouting ahead if the trail is not to rough. Also, dont litter and dont drink

Old 03-31-2004, 10:13 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by highboy1975
always treat it like its loaded
Most of this is great stuff guys. I'm a bit confused about the gun refrences since in my original post I clarified it was the best advice relating to WHEELING. Keep 'em coming.

Quick Reply: Best advice you've ever had?