Headers...the time has come - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Headers...the time has come

Old 03-30-2004, 10:17 AM
true4.2
Postmaster
true4.2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs up Headers...the time has come

I'm not gonna get the gears and LSD yet...too much money for me right now. The reason is because I can't do the install...so oh well.

Headers on the other hand, I feel confident that I could do. Has anyone ever installed a set of headers on your 4.2? Is so, how did the install go, and could you post a how-to? I'm a MAC fan (though I've never tried them) so I'll order them...plus they are pretty cheap. Anyone have any ideas what kind of gains I'd get?

Joe

Old 03-30-2004, 10:59 AM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
horizonhuskies is starting off with a positive reputation.
Joe, Ill lay it down for you. If you cant follow the manufactures install directions, then the product is crap.

Step one, remove tires.
step two, disconnect flange fitting of stock header
step three disconnect o2 sensors, becareful not to touch
step four, remove oil dipstick container thingy
step five, remove stock header
step six, replace with MAC header and work backwards, make sure to retighten in the correct order (top middle, bottom middle, top right, bottom right, top left, bottom left, go over it twice to make sure) and proper trq. specs as per the manufacture.

Good luck bro, took me approx 10 hours to do both sides while doing a 3/4 drop.

Garrett

Old 03-30-2004, 04:09 PM
Busa01
Postmaster
Busa01 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Which MAC's are you getting?? I didn't realize that MAC made headers for our trucks. I thought only JBA did. Are they ceramic coated or anything, or just stainless steel?

Old 03-30-2004, 04:13 PM
Busa01
Postmaster
Ah ok, i just found your original thread Joe.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=217485

Old 03-30-2004, 07:09 PM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
Jimmy Dean has a very good reputation on FTE.Jimmy Dean has a very good reputation on FTE.Jimmy Dean has a very good reputation on FTE.Jimmy Dean has a very good reputation on FTE.
get the headers coated from Jet-Hot. get them coated in Ford Blue at that.

Old 03-30-2004, 10:25 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
Nope, the MAC's are the choice for me. Well, I screwed around today with the truck and I only need 1 thing...and that's a long 3/8s 15mm socket. Probly about 4 or 5 bucks at auto zone. The tools you need (in case you were interested)

-1/4" ratchet/drive w/ 1/2 " socket for the nuts on the stock manifold
-3/8" ratchet/drive w/ long 15 mm socket for the nuts connecting the stock manifold to the cats
...and a bunch of other miscellaneous sockets...and a big wrench for o2 sensors.

Garrett, you took the O2 sensors out by using a wrench right?

Old 03-31-2004, 08:59 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
Also Garrett, what did you mean by not touching the o2 sensors??

Old 03-31-2004, 09:47 AM
true4.2
Postmaster
Yea, I was wondering the same thing...

Old 03-31-2004, 11:22 AM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
Yes, But passengerside was a PITA. We could only get about 1/4 turn each time. I mean do not touch the actual sensor, hold the nut ot housing, but NEVER the sensor. Make sense? Joe, feel free to email me any questions while you are doing the install. I will give you my cell if you need help with something. By the way, you are missing some tools:

Iodine - 1 pt.
bandaids - 4 ea.
ice cream (for bruised ego) - 1 pt.

That should get you through the install

Old 03-31-2004, 11:29 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
Long sleeve shirt and a good pair of Mechanix gloves will save some money on bandaids. Let us know when your going to do it.

Old 03-31-2004, 11:56 AM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
gloves are a pita also....hard to grip stuff while you are contorting...its a fun day though!

Old 03-31-2004, 03:42 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
Well, I plan on ordering them this month, but the wait is 2 months from what I hear. That's because they actually custom make the headers for you when you order them...so in escense they are brand spankin new. I am unsure what hardware they come with as far as gaskets and bolts and all that crap goes.

Garrett, thanks for the help man. I may email you for your cell phone number. I swear we ALL need to get together some time this year. Anyways, one more question:

Garrett, did you just re-use the old gaskets? Or did yous come with new gaskets? Also, did you use some kind of adhesive on the gaskets? If so, where and how much? ...heh, maybe I should just email you! I plan on taking pics of the install and emailing them to Tom also.

Old 03-31-2004, 04:03 PM
Busa01
Postmaster
I think I'd ask MAC if they provide the gasket doughnuts or not. I would replace them anyway, they're not expensive. No need for gasket sealer on them, they're like crush-washers, self sealing. I just changed a set on my friends Z71 along with the motor mounts.

So, the MAC's are made to order huh? There's no "fry-guy" mass producing them and then putting them under a heating lamp with an expiration date on them, so you can just drive on through and get them in 5 minutes or less? hmm wait a minute, i must be hungry cause i'm thinking about McDonalds drive through

Tom

Old 03-31-2004, 10:28 PM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
true4.2:

Garrett, thanks for the help man. I may email you for your cell phone number. I swear we ALL need to get together some time this year. Anyways, one more question:

Garrett, did you just re-use the old gaskets? Or did yous come with new gaskets? Also, did you use some kind of adhesive on the gaskets? If so, where and how much? ...heh, maybe I should just email you! I plan on taking pics of the install and emailing them to Tom also.

Ask and you shall receive!!! You MUST replace the gaskets. The will warp once the pressure is relieved. They are think metal, being crushed between 2 heat sources. Once the pressure is gone (the bolts loosened) they will warp. MAC better send you some , or go to napa , and complain to mac , and say thanks to napa.

Garrett

Old 04-01-2004, 08:49 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
See, I was right. Heeee!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headers...the time has come

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.