1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help with a Chevy lover

Old 10-14-1999, 09:03 AM
Ian
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the new Super Duties very much and plan on buying one sometime in the new future. The reason I'm writing is because of one of my roomates I had in school last year. He really likes the new Chevy Silverado's (I can't stand them) and tries to put Ford down every chance he gets. This caused quite a bit of controversy. Recently he sent me a song saying it was the new ford theme song. The song turned out to be Puff the Magic Dragon. I don't really see the connection, but I need anything anyone can come up with to retaliate against him and his Chevy trucks. Whatever you got against Chevy would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 10-14-1999, 09:40 AM
jmerritt
Junior User

You might just remind your friend what truck is #1 in this country, and has been for about the last twenty years. Doesn't look like that's going to change anytime soon. Also, you might ask him when his GMC/Chevy going to stop selling the 350 and 454 under the name Vortec as if that is something special for those engine designs. To my knowledge I don't think the Silverado has a newly designed engine, just the same old ones wrapped up in a new body and maybe a new name. Ask him what diesel Chevy is selling, and is it supercharged and getting reviews like the Navistar and Cummins. Chevy/GMC is becoming synonymous with old technology and deisgn. Have him check Consumer Reports on ratings of trucks and see who is leading in almost every category.

GM missed the boat about 20 years ago when they had the opportunity to retool and redesign during the energy/quality craze and didn't, Ford and Chrysler did and you now see the results.

Old 10-15-1999, 07:16 AM
locoman
New User

Tell your friend that i work for CSX railroad and where we unload the new cars and trucks off the railcars the truck drivers that haul them away say that the frames are bending on the new gm trucks when they chain them down,the new gms have a much smaller frame than the fords. Sounds like a tough truck to me huh, tell him he better buy a FORD

Old 10-19-1999, 07:11 PM
Ranger
New User

When you get your SD ask your friend if he wants to "Hook Up". See if he will put his money where his mouth is and put a strap (no hooks or chains) between the tow hooks of the two trucks. I have a buddy with the same trash talk but he has yet to agree to hook his "bad to the bone chevy" to my SD250 V10 CC. We both know who has the real truck.

Old 10-24-1999, 07:41 PM
chris_2
Junior User

In our contracting company we had a 78 chevy c30 it was a real junk box.We have a 80F150,80F350,85F250,86F250 I6,400,351,351 all have C6 auto,s.There alway,s over loaded there used to plow still run strong.Like my 99F350 cc v10 auto dont think it will last as long.Its still better than any chevy or dodge.Started out a chevy man.There is only one real workhorse FORD.

Old 10-26-1999, 02:02 PM
curly
New User

In the past 2 years I've done contract work for both Ford and chevy. Before that I worked in a GMC dealer. As for the new silverado engines, I wouldnt bring them up. They are a completely new design and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to have to defend yourself against the performance of their new 6.0L V-8. (just a little friendly advice)As for why I wouldn't buy one, the guy a little earlier was right, anyone who tried to load the early build 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks found the bed to be pinned against the cab well under the max load limit due to a mushy frame. A little inside tip, When the "new" silverado truck was coming together GM was shooting for a 20% increase in overall veh. quality. The last I heard, They were disappointed to find, instead, a 19% decrease. Ask your friend to find a chevy 4x4 owner with more than 50 thousand miles (who actually uses the little **** that says "4x4") and find out how many times they have lost a front CV drive shaft on the trail. And there's more, I with Ford.

Old 10-27-1999, 06:53 PM
J.C.
Mountain Pass

Old 11-02-1999, 04:04 PM
sibear
New User

The debate will go on until vehicles stop going on to the road. I will say this though, when you hit the next highway, look for the big loads (5th wheels, goosenecks etc) and look whats pulling them. Fords are the workhorse, no doubt.

Search this Thread