1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

P1780 code - trans ctrl switch???

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 01:12 PM
itlkick
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P1780 code - trans ctrl switch???

I have been having an intermittent problem with my Navigator that has acted like a bad plug or coil. Under load conditions the engine starts bucking (like a bad misfire) and the check engine light goes on. The error I get during a KOER test is P1780 - Trans control switch out of range.

I guess it makes sense that if the computer doesn't know what the tranny is doing it may cause bucking. Does anyone have any idea where this sensor is and how to replace it?

Old 03-24-2004, 08:22 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its the switch in the shift stalk:

From my Ford Service DVD on an R4100:

Transmission Control Switch (TCS), Transmission Control Indicator Lamp (TCIL)

The transmission control switch (TCS) is a momentary control switch. When the switch is pressed, a signal is sent to the powertrain control module to allow automatic shifts from first through fourth gears or first through third gears only. The PCM energizes the transmission control indicator lamp (TCIL) when the switch is off. The TCIL indicates overdrive cancel mode activated (lamp on) and electronic pressure control (EPC) circuit shorted (lamp flashing) or monitored sensor failure.

John: if you do not have this DVD, mail me at the address YOU have for me and give me your home address. I'll mail you one after I pick up an extra.

Old 03-25-2004, 03:44 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Not sure how that particular switch failing could cause your problems. Plus, if that switch is bad it'll blink, not the Check Engine light.

Please explain "load conditions"?

Old 03-25-2004, 06:52 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Monsta, he has an L motor in that Navi. He's probably only experiencing wheel hop at 30 MPH.

Old 04-03-2005, 11:25 AM
rapturez
Freshman User
I have a problem with the TCIL....
Mine does blink...
My truck runs good if I turn off the overdrive.(light on), but if I run it with the overdrive at deault, it does not switch gears right. As soon as I take off, 1-2 gear is rough. Like a hard push, then 2-3 same thing. After that it rides ok. The TCIL won't flash until I go over 50-55mph and then slow down to 30-20 or complete stop. After I stop, the light flashes and i get to that hard push. I can turn the truck off and start it, problem goes away, until I get past the 55mph limit. Any suggestion?... where should I check?... what should I check?...

97 Expedition
4x4 Eddie Bauer

Old 08-02-2011, 10:43 AM
chumes
New User
Ihave problem with tcs my van at turn of when its going to top of the hill gaige goes crazy code p1780 please help me. 2003 ford E 350 engine size 5.4

Old 08-02-2011, 03:20 PM
alloro
Received 4,178 Likes on 2,421 Posts
Originally Posted by itlkick
The error I get during a KOER test is P1780 - Trans control switch out of range.
There are only two ways to get this code. This code can only be set during a scan test and can not be set when the engine is running. The first way to set it is if the person running the test fails to press the O/D switch at the appropriate test point. The second way is if the O/D was pressed at the correct test point but the switch is no good, or there's a break in the circuit.

If you're driving and press the O/D switch and the tranny drops out of O/D ;then that means the switch and circuit are good and the technician screwed up the test.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:01 PM
GeeDub
New User
'02 Expedition Same Prob

First post here. My '02 Expo with the 4.6 is doing the hesitation hurky jerky thing as well at load around 1500 to 2500 RPM. A mechanic friend told me to just pop off the OD switch button and get a replacement sensor. He didn't actually do the scan...his wife did at the shop for me.....she said this TCS "out of range" code came up but she also noticed that there was indicating a misfire as well. I have a feeling she did the check with the OD button in "ON" position reason for the code reading (what do you think?) But, this whole thing of misfire that feels EXACTLY like a bad plug...or a bad coil over on a plug or two......or a cruddy injector.....or a bad fuel filter....is what is there. I've had the plugs changed about 5 months ago and I just did the fuel filter the other day. The "check engine" light comes on intermittently as well. Would the light come on and off if the injectors or the coil overs are bad? Thanks for any help.

~Gear

Old 08-15-2011, 07:12 PM
alloro
Received 4,178 Likes on 2,421 Posts
I would solve the misfire before touching anything to do with the tranny. Commonly, the rubber boot on the bottom of each COP tend to dry out and crack over time. This can allow spark to leak through and jump to ground, causing a random misfire.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:27 PM
GeeDub
New User
Originally Posted by alloro
I would solve the misfire before touching anything to do with the tranny. Commonly, the rubber boot on the bottom of each COP tend to dry out and crack over time. This can allow spark to leak through and jump to ground, causing a random misfire.
Man, that's sounds like it. It just "feels" like a spark issue. And it doesn't do it a bad when cold. Gets hot...stuff expands.....right? Can a diagnostic pin point a certain COP? And what is the "fix"? A replacement? And what are they now....like 125 dollars each? Thank you for your fast response. ~Gear

Old 08-15-2011, 08:40 PM
c_hohensee
Elder User
If it misfires bad enough it will set a code telling the cylinder number. Otherwise if the code reader can read pending codes it may show up there before the light comes on. You can get a set off of ebay for about $75 (chasing a misfire issue on mustang possibly caused by set of these) or I just saw motorcraft ones for $41 each plus shipping at rock auto.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:30 AM
kedi
New User
I realize this is an old post/thread. However I have a P1780 code on my 08 F350 6.4L SD. I don't know if this TCS is my problem but while driving it seems to shift from 1st and 2nd ok but I cannot accelerate. Gradually it accelerates but no amount on pressure on the throttle increases the speed of acceleration. It basically does it's own thing and speeds up slowly. It is a puzzle to me. At speed ie: 80km to 100km (50mph to 65/70mph) to holds but seems like no accelerating power. This was somewhat intermitent earlier but now is all the time. Anyone one have an opinion or experience with this. The other code I have is P040D (EGT sensor??) P2610 and P2002. thanks in advance for any help provided.
Ken

Old 09-27-2015, 08:55 AM
johnny28
New User
Hi guys i am having the same promblem in my expedition 2005 5.4L, the computer show me p1780 transmission control switch. the issue is like the presure in the throttle doesn't increase. When i push the acelerator it the rpm go up nut the truck turns slowly.
I would need to know which is this switch in order that i can replace it. thanks everyone

Old 09-27-2015, 10:27 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
It's the switch on the end of the shift handle. Replacing it will NOT fix your problem.

The code set because you didn't press this switch while you were running the Key On Engine Running portion of the test.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:34 AM
johnny28
New User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
It's the switch on the end of the shift handle. Replacing it will NOT fix your problem.

The code set because you didn't press this switch while you were running the Key On Engine Running portion of the test.

But what could be the switch?

Quick Reply: P1780 code - trans ctrl switch???