Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Dealer Shock!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 01:47 PM
macrac
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Dealer Shock!

I just arrived here in Northern Virginia and stopped by the Ford dealer to get a price for an Oil and fuel filter change, wow what a rip off I was quoted at nearly $175-185 for both.... I guess I'm into the oil change buisness on my own now. Well that brings me to my next flurry of questions...

1) What Oil filter is considered good, easily found at (e.g. Auto Zone , Pep boys, Sams, Walmart etc), and reasonably priced.

2). How many qts to include the filter will a 2001 7.3 take to do the change.

3) I hear people talk about draining the water out of the fuel filter resorvoir is this difficult? If not, how and where do I find it?

4) Heatstroked...I'm definately interested in the fuel filter deal you were talking about. On another note where seems to be the beat place to purchase the fuel filter in the local markets (i.e Ford, Parts store, Internationl etc...)?

lastly i would appreciate any and all advise someone may have on some tech tips or no...nos... for changing the oil and fuel filter. I'm planning to go with Rotella 15w40 , I found it by the case at Sam's club for 35 and some change for a case of 6 1gal jugs; is that a good price for it?

Thanks again to all this has become my favorite website.

Last edited by macrac; 03-23-2004 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:01 PM
rmilchman
Elder User
I do the oil change myself, it's extremely simple it takes approximately 14 qts of oil and I buy K&N filters. They have a 1 inch nut on bottom which comes in handy. If you want Ford filters Wallmart sells them for $10. The entire oil change costs me around $35. I believe my local Ford dealer is charging $85.

Old 03-23-2004, 02:05 PM
rmilchman
Elder User
Clicked submit to quick, sorry.

I buy the oil at Sams also. As far as draining the fuel filter look behind the fuel filter housing you will see a yellow tab. All you need to do is flick it open and catch what comes out. Most people attach a hose to the end of the valve and catch run off that way. I do it a little differently but it works, I change the fuel filter when I change the oild and use a huge turkey baster and siphon out the housing.

Old 03-23-2004, 02:16 PM
Dan Ward
Freshman User
I was shopping with my wife at Sams and ran into a fella with a dozen cases of Rotella T 15-40 on his flat cart. I asked him why he was buying so much? He said he was buying for the local NAPA!

Hard to beat Sams - Dan Ward

Old 03-23-2004, 02:44 PM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I have used Rotella 15-40 since my PSD was new.
I use K & N Gold oil filters plus I have the Oil Guard bypass system.
Oil and filter is availble at Checker.

TIPS:
Oil Filter: Pre lube your new oil filter seal and pre-fill the oil filter prior to installing. Do not overtighten you oil filter.
Fuel filter: Drain using the yellow drian lever as above.
Use a strap wrench or oil filter wrench to remove the filter cap.
Remove the existing filter and cehck the bottom of the bowl for debris, etc.
Install the new filter, be sure the "O" ring is in place and the bottom tapered gasket faces up prior to re-installing the cap. Do not overtighten the fuel filter cap. Cycle the ignition key a few times to pump some fuel into the filter cap and start. May have slight smoke at start up due to air in the line.

I was buying my fuel filters at NAPA for about $38.00, scared to see what Ford has them for.

I searched out my own supplier of fuel filters and got a quantity deal that I'm willing to pass on to others. If interested, contact me through my profile e-mail.

Old 03-23-2004, 03:03 PM
99f250
Senior User
wal-mart will do an oil change for about 35 bucks and then you dont have to worry about disposing 14 qts of oil!

Old 03-23-2004, 03:45 PM
mjwhip2
Elder User
Around here (N Utah) checker and autozone dispose of oil for free.
Plus I had my oil changed at Wal-mart once and they stripped my drain plug, pita to get them to have it fixed. One time I take my truck somewhere to get it done and see what happens. Do everything (pretty much) myself unless it is real cold (truck won't fit in garage).
Mike

Old 03-23-2004, 04:27 PM
macrac
Junior User
Thanks for all the good gouge so far, does anybody have a dislike in oil filters other than FRAM?

Old 03-23-2004, 05:32 PM
78fordman
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
not really, i always use Wix, Motorcraft, or hastings. They are all great filters. No one sells K and N oil filters around here. I use rotella T 15w-40 since new, never had a problem yet, great oil.

Old 03-23-2004, 06:04 PM
jamesbfishin
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Would be in your best interest to drain your fuel filter quite often, I do mine every other fuel stop, prob once every ten days or so. I also like to grease the 4 fittings on my front end at every oil change as well. Good luck with your truck.

Old 03-23-2004, 06:13 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
If you have a 1999 or up 7.3 your engine takes 15 quarts when you change it. My 1997 takes 14 quarts and I think some of the early 1999's may take 14 as well. The earliest versions of the power stroke took as few as 12 quarts of oil. I buy Motorcraft filters and Shell Rotella from Walmart.

Drain the fuel bowl at every oil change and make sure you drain it completely when you change the filter. You may want to attach a 5/16" piece of tubing for draining the fuel bowl to keep from having a mess. I buy fuel filters from Diesel Injection Service ( www.dieselpage.com ). You don't have to do this, but I like to fill the fuel bowl with Standyne lubricity formula when I change the filter. It helps keep the fuel system clean.

You should be able to get rid of used oil at almost any auto parts store.

Old 03-23-2004, 06:15 PM
rmilchman
Elder User
4 fittings on front end? I must have missed a few.