Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Chevy drive event

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 10:10 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Angry Chevy drive event

I went out to a chevy "drive event" where you can test drive all of chevy's cars, trucks, and SUVs. I went out with one purpose in mind; to test drive the duramax. The truck I test rode and drove was a 1-ton dually silverado equipped with the duramax diesel. I got in, sat, and right away I didn't like what I saw or felt. To me the interior was too "dainty" for a truck that was supposed to work as well as play. The seats were almost too comfortable and felt ok but not right even after adjusting them. Since people were test driving these trucks, they keys were left in the ignition. So I turned the key looking for a "wait to start" light and I never did find one. I kept turning the key back and forth looking looking for the light and still didn't find one. In the midst of all this, thats when one of the reps walked up. He started talking about the usual, how the durajunk is better and quiter than the 6.0 and what not. I cranked the ignition after leaving it on for a bit and it was about the same as the 6.0 if not louder. While he was yammering on , I was tempted to stomp on it just for the heck of it. But I didn't, I kind of "tipped" the gas because I felt as if I was going to break something if I did it too hard. So I just turned it off the truck and listened to his "song and dance" . He offered to take me for a ride, so jumped into the passenger seat and witnessed him doing something a diesel owner should never do. He just turned the key and cranked it as if it were a gasser. I asked him why didn't he wait and he said he didn't have to. He said that the engine is "ready to go" as soon as you turn the key. With all door closed and windows up, I noticed how ridiculously quiet the engine was. In fact, it was too quiet (for my taste). I don't know about the rest of you diesel owners, I love hearing the sound of my diesel engine. Things got worse as we went. As we were leaving the parking lot, I got a small taste of the ride quality. Terrible. It felt as if I were riding on jello suspension. He then started talking about the rumors that were apparently made up by Ford. He alleged that Ford started the rumor about the aluminum heads and any other problems that the engine allegedly had. He said the only problem the truck really ever had was the transmission slipping from 2nd to 3rd. After that, the engine and tranny (according to the rep) had no problems. From there, he started bashing the X, 6.0, and worse yet he EVEN ragged on the mighty V10! (I won't repeat any of what he said) A lot of it was stuff he obviously didn't know much about. So at this point I'm and ready to (verbally) go off on this guy. But I held my tougne until the final test: acceleration. We turned a corner, made sure there was no traffic, and stopped in the middle of the road. He stomped on it and it didn't move like I thought it would. Let me just tell you now, I felt like my 7.3 X could have taken that duramax for a run and left him standing. Yes, even though he has more power than I do. I've done it before and I'm not afraid to do it again. Overall, this truck (as well as the trip out there) was a huge waste. Ford and even dodge had an off-road course that made driving the trucks, much less for coming out, worthwhile. Did anyone else come out to this event? OR Has anyone else driven or had an experience with the durajunk?

Last edited by Toreador_Diesel; 03-22-2004 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:30 PM
thenrich
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to reply to this as open mindedly as Duramax owner can seeing as how the moderators have specifically don't want flame wars.

Basically what you said is the Duramax is
'Too quiet'
'Too comforatable'
That 'Jello' suspension you mentioned also has the highest GVWR of Ford, Chevy and Dodge.

I've found many people that don't know about the 'wait-to'start' of any deisel but yes Chevy has a small wait-to-start pause. As fas as what the sales guy said I don't suspect it's anything differant then any other sales guy for any other company would have said - most of which is BS from any sales dude especailly when it comes to diesel trucks (Chevy sales people included).

As of right now the Duramax is quiter that's just fact also as of right now the Cummins and Duramx are probably more dependable then the 6.0 (not going to debate that issue with 7.3 as that is a proven motor).

If you feel a 7.3 could take a Durmax in the 1/4 I guess it's fine to feel that way but it's not true. Currently I run in the low 13's with my defuels on (haven't tried with the defuels off) but I'm modded and I'm sure theres some modded Ford people here that have pretty quick trucks too that would prolly smoke me so I'm not going to make some stuipd comment that will get me trouble. But I don't believe stock to stock the 7.3 litre would outrun a Duramax

If you had a bad experience with a Chevy dealer that's understandable but please don't start altering facts about the product.

Best regards

Old 03-22-2004, 01:09 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Well I have to agree with you on the "7.3 outrunning a duramax" thing. I was out of line on that one as well as a few other "minute" details. I actually did drag one off the line but, it was a 2000 or 2001 model with 300Hp and 520 ft/lbs. of torque. To be completely honest with you, I did plan on heading over to a chevy dealership and giving the duramax another chance. Seeing as I was so harsh and misunderstanding. So.....

Last edited by Toreador_Diesel; 03-22-2004 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:17 PM
sinister73
Elder User
All trucks have different driving qualities, sometimes even between identical models there are different qualities, let alone the differences between all the options which are available today.
Crew cab, extended cab, regular cab, automatic, manual, 4x4, 4x2, dual real wheels, snow plow preparations, limited slip, trailer preparations, etc, all make for differences in ride and handling.

Sometimes a slower truck can SEEM quicker than it really is, and likewise, a faster truck can sometimes SEEM really slow, the only way to really know, is to see both trucks performing under identical conditions at the same time side by side -ie, towing, loaded, empty, high altitude, etc. You may be surprised when you find the "slow" truck is actually much faster. This is'int always true of course, but I've seen it before.

Old 03-22-2004, 01:25 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
sinister73, you're right about the differences as well as the whole slower appearance thing. I was riding in the passenger seat and was mostly staring at the RPMs instead of the road. If I were driving, it would more than likely be another story. Based on the responses so far, it seems I have a lot to learn. I'm not afraid to admit I was wrong much less for too harsh and rigid when it came to judging this truck.

Last edited by Toreador_Diesel; 03-22-2004 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:18 PM
jeb
Elder User
When I switched from my 01 HD2500 dmax/allison (and a long line of GM's behind it) to my 03 Ex, I had the same thoughts about the interior layout of my Limited. "Why'd they do that" and "That sucks" kind of stuff. It was okay overall, of course, and I've gotten used to it over the months so that I hardly notice the difference but I think it was mostly just a big change. I still think GM has ford beat in a lot of the creature comforts, though.

Also, my sales person was a total moron. I asked for an experienced sales person when I walked in the door and up to the receptionist desk. I got the new guy. Didn't know jack about the truck or the motor. Kept going on all starry eyed about the $52k price tag. He's not there any more, either.

I got by all of that and bought the truck anyway. I happen to have a bad one, though. The motor has been a POS thus far. That hurts even more since the dmax I had was totally bullet proof, got better mileage, ALWAYS ran consistently and strong and was so much quieter. I may end up going DSB/LL on this truck and I really don't know what I'm going to do if that happens. I want a full sized SUV with a diesel but ford is the only player here. And I seriously doubt I'd go that route again.

Old 03-22-2004, 07:01 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Originally posted by jeb
When I switched from my 01 HD2500 dmax/allison (and a long line of GM's behind it) to my 03 Ex, I had the same thoughts about the interior layout of my Limited. "Why'd they do that" and "That sucks" kind of stuff. It was okay overall, of course, and I've gotten used to it over the months so that I hardly notice the difference but I think it was mostly just a big change. I still think GM has ford beat in a lot of the creature comforts, though.
I have to agree there because there were things I saw in that truck that I wish were in my X.

Also, my sales person was a total moron. I asked for an experienced sales person when I walked in the door and up to the receptionist desk. I got the new guy. Didn't know jack about the truck or the motor. Kept going on all starry eyed about the $52k price tag. He's not there any more, either.

My sales guy was a moron too. I don't think he's there anymore either. The guy I wanted to deal with got promoted and didn't do sales anymore.

I got by all of that and bought the truck anyway. I happen to have a bad one, though. The motor has been a POS thus far. That hurts even more since the dmax I had was totally bullet proof, got better mileage, ALWAYS ran consistently and strong and was so much quieter. I may end up going DSB/LL on this truck and I really don't know what I'm going to do if that happens. I want a full sized SUV with a diesel but ford is the only player here. And I seriously doubt I'd go that route again.
You always seemed to love your X. I didn't think you had problems with your 6.0. Didn't any of the flashes fix any of it?

Old 03-22-2004, 07:01 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking about creature comforts . Have you ever ridden in an older three quarter ton or 1 ton truck a seventies orlate 60s model talk about rough. These new superduties ride like cadillacs compared to those. What more do people want. These chevies will ride better no question about that. I want a truck that has a solid axle. IFS doesnt cut it with me on a heavy duty truck. Chevy doesn't have it. I don't want it period. I still say chevy would sell lot more trucks if they had a solid axle. You cant tell me different. Sorry there I go again. Fire back Remember all chevy four wheel drives had solid front axles until 1988 then went all I.F.S.

Old 03-22-2004, 07:13 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Sorry about that last post. Probably lost a few friends Ive made on
these forums. I hope not. Just that ford guy coming out again. Im just glad we got a lot of choices out there. Everybody should be happy.

Old 03-22-2004, 07:18 PM
78fordman
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you are worried about ride quality, get a lincoln. Same thing about acceleration, get a mustang then. I would expect a 3/4 ton or bigger truck to have a rough ride, not go 0-60 in 13 seconds, and to have a durable interior, not nesecarily nice. These are truck, not play toys. Thats why i purchased a ford. Numbers i think are just like paint, gearing has more to do with it, and length and position of the powerband.

Old 03-22-2004, 08:03 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're worried about ride quality, then why get a 3/4 ton truck or bigger?

Old 03-22-2004, 08:17 PM
sinister73
Elder User
Originally posted by 150ford
Sorry about that last post. Probably lost a few friends Ive made on
these forums. I hope not. Just that ford guy coming out again. Im just glad we got a lot of choices out there. Everybody should be happy.

LOL,...I'm getting to like you more and more with these types of posts 150ford. I'm sure my "friends" on here who also defend other brands would agree with me on that, though I suppose they should speak for themselves on the matter. .

See, the thing is, I'm not anti Ford in the least, I just tend to think for myself, and I know what I like - and I know what I don't like.
I speak my mind regardless of whether it's popular or not. For instance, lets suppose Ford's next version of the Super Duty turned out to be something as hideous as the current chassis with an Aerostar cab and a pickup bed attached to it .

There are probably many who would force themselves to like a monstrosity like that just because it wears a blue oval. I would speak out aganst the abomination however, because I simply could never make myself accept it as being a "Super Duty".

There are some things I like about all three- and your comment was not out of line in the least, and in fact I agree with you - solid axles are MUCH better on a heavy duty 4x4 which is meant to be used as a heavy duty 4x4.

There are some GM owners/fans who have peed me off as well.
I was up at the dump one day unloading my 98' F150, when another Ford pulls up along the other side of the dumpster directly across from me. It was a pristine 96' F150 with blue and white two tone paint( much better condition than mine). It had a 4.9L/ 5speed combo -the same combo I once owned. I proceeded to compliment him on having such a nice truck, only to be cut off mid way through my compliment, (Him)"It's not mine buddy, it's my boss'es, I would'int be caught dead in a Ford."(Me) Well, what would you be caught in?" (Him) I'm a Chevy man, Ford's are dogs". (Me) "Good thing for this dog I'm driving now, I've got two POS Chevy's sitting home right now, and both are down. They can't be used to haul my garbage, so maybe I'll use my Ford to haul them AS garbage." After some finger flipping, along with a few crude remarks from each of us, he sped off leaving me to finish dumping my garbage off. Good thing he wasint stupid enough to try me. There was no truth in my statement about the two broken down GM's sitting at home, and everyone here pretty much knows I like them well enough. But this guy saw I was driving a Ford myself, and had to know he was out of line with those rude remarks. He had it coming. Anyone who tries to dis any of my trucks just for the sake of it, is also trying to dis me- so they get some back, along with some change thrown in.

I like that your proud of your Ford(s). I'm proud of mine too, it's just that I've owned and do own now, other trucks of which I'm just as proud. None of them are "best", but they're all really good in their own way.

Old 03-22-2004, 08:40 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Hey Sinister really enjoyed your comments there. Here a guy you attempt to talk to and be pleasant to and then he knocks you cold on your feet with a comment like that. Insulting you and the truck your driving. You did the right thing treated him like he treated you. I do have respect for people no matter what they are driving. People do like different things I respect that. In all the years Ive had trucks all of them fords nobody has ever run down me or my truck. If I would have met that guy and he told me that to my face he would have regretted that. I would have challenged him back up what he said. A race tug of war whatever.on top of telling him off. In my area that would never happen I dont think. People here are very friendly and outgoing and easy to get along with.

Old 03-23-2004, 06:14 AM
Carlene
Admom
Received 188 Likes on 116 Posts
Thread reopened.

Keep it on the topic guys and please stop the bickering.

Last edited by Carlene; 03-23-2004 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:05 PM
thenrich
Senior User
Since I was the first 1 to respond to this thread I think it turned out 'OK'. Just remember folks - most sales guys are out to sell trucks and some of them try and do it by cutting down other brands. I think it's more a personal desicion on what you want. If I'd had to deal with the same saleman that Toreador_Diesel did - I'd prolly been a little aggrevated also. It seems to me that there are specific dealerships that cator to the bigger trucks and seem more knowlegeable.

Best regards

Quick Reply: Chevy drive event