EFI 300 Manual transmission questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 04:08 PM
BrockwayMT
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EFI 300 Manual transmission questions

Okay here's the deal. I am looking into buying an F-150/F-250 with the inline six and a manual transmission. I want to do some towing with it though. Not real heavy, I use the F-250 460/C6 for that. But I want something that can occasionally tow a compact car, 4-place snowmobile trailer, or something of that nature. Basically I want it for the trailer towing that is too heavy for my 4cyl Ranger but that the 460 is overkill for.

Now I know that the mazda 5 speed is weak, I don't want one. My ranger has a mazda trans and that is a good place for them. I am looking at a 1995 F-250 with the 4.9. My questions are:

Does the 95 F-250 4.9 have the heavier ZF trans?

I also hear about a low gear four-speed used in f-150s, what can you tell me about it and what years was it used?

If I buy an F-150 with the mazda trans what is involved in converting to a ZF from an F250? I know how to change a trans but am asking more in terms of changes of bellhousing, flywheel, trans crossmember, driveshaft, etc.

Thanks.

Old 03-17-2004, 07:10 PM
jessfactor
Elder User
Re: EFI 300 Manual transmission questions

Originally posted by BrockwayMT
Does the 95 F-250 4.9 have the heavier ZF trans?

I also hear about a low gear four-speed used in f-150s, what can you tell me about it and what years was it used?

test drive it. if it has a granny first and 5th gear overdrive its the ZF. also look for the diamonds on the side of the tranny.

the low gear 4spd doesn't have an overdrive. its as good as the zf in terms of the granny gear, but its not good on the highway. if you buy one w/the mazda tranny and wanna throw a ZF in there its going to be costly. the tranny alone is close to 2 grand.

Old 03-17-2004, 07:16 PM
AJ Goss
Junior User
The F-250 will have the ZF (aka heavy duty) trans. You can tell by looking at the transmission housing itself if you're unsure. The Mazda has square shaped ribs, and the ZF has diamond shaped rib patterns.

As long as you stick to 300s, you won't run into this, but watch out for F-250s with the 302. They came with the Mazda POS and a semi floating rear axle. Steer clear of those, obviously.

You could get a four speed manual up until 92 or so, I believe. After that, any F-150 had the Mazda. People here keep insisting that some F-150's came with the ZF, but I've never seen one.

The four speeds were great transmissions. They're arguably stronger than the ZF. There were a couple different ones used, the NP 435, the T-18, and the T-19. The NP 435 was used in trucks from half tons all the way up to 26,000 lb trucks. It's a pretty sturdy unit. The T-18 was used in the F-150s and Broncos, and the T-19 was used in heavier trucks. Not to say that the T-18 isn't strong, it certainly is. Most people prefer the NP 435 because it has a lower granny gear than either of the BW trannies.

Someone posted on the tranny forum about swapping a Mazda for a ZF a while ago. I think he said there were no major headaches, but expect some if the truck is a 4x4.

If you decide to go that route, you'll need to look for a ZF that was behind either a 300 or a 351w. The bellhousing patterns for any other motor are different.

Old 03-17-2004, 08:40 PM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the towing you are planning the M5OD is plenty strong. I do heavier towing than that with mine all the time, and know of plenty of other people that do to.

Old 03-17-2004, 09:48 PM
AJ Goss
Junior User
I've towed with the Mazda before as well, but I still wouldn't recommend it to anyone, towing anything or not. It's a weak transmission, and he's better off with a four speed. Mine was nearly ready to self destruct after 130k miles (chattering, noises in overdrive, leaked fluid out the top like a sieve) before the truck got wrecked. I bought a truck with a four speed with 130k already on the clock, and the four speed shifts like a new tranny.

And whoever said that the ZF costs $2000 needs to shop around. They are expensive, but not that much.

Old 03-18-2004, 09:15 AM
dogdaysunrise
Junior User
You can find a ZF in the junkyard and get it for under a thousand. Just have to know where to look. the thing about that is, what kind of quality is it going to be in? probably not good, but take a look. You never know.

Old 03-19-2004, 11:28 AM
KAS300
Junior User
Be careful, just because its an F250 doesn't mean it will have the ZF. Some 2WD 3/4 tons had the Mazda tranny, too.

Old 03-19-2004, 09:27 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If your Mazda tranny has been mistreated, then it will go bye bye. Otherwise, replace the top plugs and take good care of it, it shouldn't give you trouble. I'd be happier with the 302 and the mazda...I don't like the idea of the Mazda always beeing subjected to the constant torque of the 300 - riding around town shifting between 1750 and 2250 You're in the 300's phat-band while the 302 would be trying to catch some breath still.