Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Engine making a howling sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 06:30 PM
Leonard Bode
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine making a howling sound

Hello folks, I need some help. I recently worked on a 1999 F350 Super-Duty with a 7.3L in it and had to replace the turbo, in the process the arm that controls the exhaust flap in the turbo broke and I had to weld it back together, the arm I am talking about is in the pedastal that the turbo mounts on, the turbo is brand new, and we followed the procedure to bleed it ot the letter.

Now the engine, when you step on it, makes a really nasty howling sound, it sounds like the turbo is plugged, could it be that flap. Like I said I need help.

Leonard Bode

Old 03-16-2004, 09:23 PM
horsecop
Senior User
The Exaust Back Pressure Valve (EBPV) is closed. The rod your talking about is the control arm for it. This may sound dumb but did the EBPV get plugged back in? Or another dumb question. How cold is it were your at? If it's cold then it's working normally. It's a PITA when it's cold. Something you could try, unplug the EBPV and drive the truck. If it still doesn't open then I'd have to look at the linkage or the solenoid that controls it. Hope you didn't get it too hot.

Edit: Just saw were your at. Disregard Dumb Question. I know it's cold there!

Last edited by horsecop; 03-16-2004 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:44 AM
Leonard Bode
Junior User
Thanks horsecop I'll try that. I had it in a warm shop but my brother-in-law drove it when it was cold but it was only 20 degrees or so, I hope with that not working it didn't ruin the engine.

Thanks again,

Leonard Bode

Old 03-17-2004, 07:04 PM
horsecop
Senior User
20 degrees? Mine won't even budge at 40! Try unpluging it first. I bet it's working. Let me know.

Old 03-21-2004, 07:49 AM
Leonard Bode
Junior User
How much is that soleniod that controls it, actually the whole turbo pedastal mount, just in case he wants to replace it, or can that rod be replaced? Do they even make a rebuild kit for that?

Leonard Bode

Old 03-21-2004, 10:42 AM
horsecop
Senior User
LB I've seen replacements, with and without the EBPV. Alot of people remove it all together. (Called Gutting the EBPV) There's a thread that gives a step by step on here on how to do it. I left mine unplugged all winter. Cookie88, Quad, or Heat might be able to help you with the more Tech stuff. Might want to drop them a line or somebody that reads this will.

Old 03-21-2004, 10:48 AM
78fordman
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
does it hurt anything? I remember taking it off of my dad's 390, same thing but different name, basicly a exhaust backpressure valve. If it is working correctly, should i take it off?

Old 03-21-2004, 10:57 AM
horsecop
Senior User
I had a 80hp chip in and for some reason if it got below 40, it would never open. Temp to low I guess for that amount of tune. Put the 40hp chip in and it shuts then opens. Never heard or read anything about it hurting anything. It's supposed to just help warm the beast under there. I have an exaust brake on my rig so I have to have it for the EB to work correctly.

Old 03-21-2004, 11:10 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Leonard Bode
How much is that soleniod that controls it, actually the whole turbo pedastal mount, just in case he wants to replace it, or can that rod be replaced? Do they even make a rebuild kit for that?

Leonard Bode
A new pedestal w/EBV lists for 292.60 The solenoid assembly lists for 217.87

look here

Old 03-21-2004, 11:30 AM
horsecop
Senior User
Thanks for the back up Cookie. Hope it didn't get to ruff over there cause it was rock'n and a roll'n over here.
Can he get parts like the linkage for the EBV or is it all one assembly?

Old 03-21-2004, 11:35 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
It was a little bumpy, nothing major. I guess it picked up some steam as it headed east.

Can he get parts like the linkage for the EBV or is it all one assembly?
I'm not sure. He would have to go to the dealer and look at the parts breakdown to see if he could get individual pieces. I'm thinking probably not, but it never hurts to check.

Old 03-22-2004, 09:41 PM
Leonard Bode
Junior User
We tried unplugging it and it did not change, even unhooked it from the valve itself, it quit the howling but had no power what so ever. looked at the linkage afterward and found it was to short I need to lengthen it, any special way to do this or do you just turn it out until it reaches the control on the flap?

Leonard Bode
(at my wits end!!)

Old 03-22-2004, 09:47 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
even unhooked it from the valve itself, it quit the howling but had no power what so ever.
With the linkage unhooked from the valve, the valve should open/shut freely by hand. Does it? It sounds like the valve might be stuck in, or near the fully closed position.

Old 03-22-2004, 09:54 PM
Leonard Bode
Junior User
It moved freely, the linkage from the pedastal didn't. He also said it did once in awhile before we pulled the engine, but not this bad. We wired it open then drove it, before I left there today I took the wire off.

Leonard Bode

Old 03-22-2004, 10:17 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Originally posted by Leonard Bode
It moved freely, the linkage from the pedastal didn't. He also said it did once in awhile before we pulled the engine, but not this bad. We wired it open then drove it, before I left there today I took the wire off.

Leonard Bode
That dosen't make sense??? With the flap wired open the actuator rod is irrelevant, unless the oil passages in the pedestal are plugged and cutting off the oil supply to the turbo. That dosen't seem too likely.

Not meant to be insulting, but are you sure you didn't wire the flap shut?

Quick Reply: Engine making a howling sound