2000 explorer shift problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 10:27 AM
psimon
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 explorer shift problem

I have a 2000 explorer sport v6 4x4 with the auto transmission. In the past month it has started reving a little high when shifting from first to second gear. Since it has 50k miles on it I assumed that the original owner did not change the fluid and filter. I did so and it still shifts funny. Any suggestions would be appriciated.
It has the 5R55E transmission.

thanks

Paul

Last edited by psimon; 03-16-2004 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:18 PM
psimon
New User
the guy at the shop says the valves are sticking and to just manually shift from first to second for a wile. does anyone have any other suggestions?

thanks

prs

Old 03-23-2004, 09:55 AM
gerryg59
Freshman User
yup heres the fix. there is a seperator plate gasket problem inside the trans. Ford has a Technical Service Bulletion published for this concern. The gasket and possible the seperator plate will have to be replaced because a tear in the gasket which bleeds the pressure off when shifting from first to second. What happens is the clutch doesn't fully apply causing a delayed , hi rev shift.
If you need the bulletion number , let me know and i'll post it for you.

Old 03-23-2004, 10:28 AM
psimon
New User
yes yes yes i would very much like the bulletion number if it wouldn't be too much trouble.

thanks

prs

Old 03-23-2004, 10:53 AM
gerryg59
Freshman User
the Ford TSB number is 03-22-10.

Old 03-23-2004, 09:06 PM
psimon
New User
this may sound like a dumb question but how do i get my hands on the bulletion itself?

thanks

Prs

Old 03-24-2004, 05:42 AM
gerryg59
Freshman User
if you have a fax number i can fax over the copy to you.

Old 03-24-2004, 08:35 AM
psimon
New User
the fax at my work is 573-308-3650.

thanks

Paul Simon

Old 03-25-2004, 04:56 PM
psimon
New User
I recieved the fax. Thanks. I had the codes scaned and found 2. One was P1804 something to do with 4x4 high, and the other was 0733 which has something to do with third. I think this code was stored when it went into limp mode last week. The transmission guy looking at my truck test drove it today and it seems that it revs up extra from 1st to 2nd when it is cold but not once it warms up. .... I don't usually drive the truck far enough to do that. but once warmed up we noticed that it was doing the same thing but between 2nd and 3rd. The mechanic seemed to think it wasn't the gasket but could be the silinoids that control the bands. but that wouldn't explane 2nd to 3rd. He suggested maybe just putting in a shift kit. The rough estimate for putting in the silinoids for 2nd and 4th was around 300. Any comments or questions, thoughts would be appriciated.

thanks

prs

Old 03-26-2004, 04:19 AM
gerryg59
Freshman User
gasket

Paul have him take a look at the gasket. I think he will find that the bagsket will be torn at one corner. We have had many explorers come into the shop for the same concern you are describing. If he plans on putting a **** kit into the valve body, it won't hurt to look at the seperator plate gaskets. I honestly think he is on the wrong track with the solenoids and shift kit. If he is perssistant in putting in the shift kit then i would get a second opinion before putting out the cash. If you read the TSB carefully, it states that codes will not neccessarily be stored for this concern.
Good luck but i think he is heading in the wrong direction, when it is a simple fix.
Gerry

Old 03-26-2004, 04:21 AM
gerryg59
Freshman User
sorry about the typing, i use the hunt and peck method and is not always accurate. It should say shift kit, and the other word is gasket, sorry

Old 03-26-2004, 07:28 AM
psimon
New User
your point comes out loud and clear thanks for your help

prs

Old 03-26-2004, 07:33 AM
psimon
New User
one more question. how hard is it to replace the gasket and could I do it or does it take special tools. and the same goes for the shift kit. ok maybe three questions. will the new replacement gasket last longer than the first?

thanks

prs

Old 04-11-2004, 01:40 PM
psimon
New User
Talking work done shifting fine

I finished installing the new plate and valve kit from ford. The gasket was torn on the side inbetween the 2nd and 3rd silinoids area. When I removed the valve body I droped one of the silinoids and ruined the larger oring. So I replaced it. At first I thought I had screwed up because it wouldn't go into reverse to drive off the ramps but I didn't realize how much more fluid was lost compaired to just a filter change. The truck is shifting better then ever and I appriceate all your help.

thanks

prs

Old 04-25-2004, 08:07 AM
serb
New User
Hello Gerry

I am new...but I have a problem a cant seem to resolve with THREE Ford dealers. From your talk to Paul, you may be able to help me out. See if this sounds like something youve heard of.

I got a 2000 Ranger 4 cyl 2x4 2.5 auto that has lost its zip.... No overdrive and no difference in driving from o/d to no o/d...lost its go power, retarded idle, loud heavy air blowing at start up, heavy vibration on engine translating to steering wheel, drivers floor. CAr fixes itslef by burping gas fumes through floor vents and the car goes back to normal...runs like pack of wild horses.... Has done this 2x...once on 5 hour drive, and once after idling in park for 45mins. away goes the rough idle and all virbration, and car runs like dickens like when I bought it. CAr is only three years old and has 15,150 miles on it.

HAd thermo go bad in feb/march 03. Replaced. Vanlaized in july 03 and put locking gas cap on for 6 months and changed back after looking for problem, had brake seperated from rotor (rusted) by Ford dealer in oct 03. Problem developed in Nov 03. Just quit on me.

Codes pulled by 2 reg mech (not Ford)--po 500 speed sensor malfunction, intermittant wiper switch (no problem with them, ignition control switch, window down (dont have power windows)

Had speed sensor changed on differential, battery changed, fuel pressure checked, back pressure checked, and three ford dealers drive and monitor, NONE of which agrre with me or can find anything --I can't make them think beyond the obvious. They just go to staring at me after nothing shows in test drive. Reg mech got po 500 by toggling o/d button during key on engine running test. Could this be a bad cat??? Remeber I hadthe thrmo go bad...sometimes I get heavy exhaust smell and sometimes none at all...reg mech said 1st o2 sensor is really active, but second is "sluggish"...they dont test emisssions in pa by hooking up tailpipe anymore, they test to see if computer working..!! how dumb!! how do I tell if I burned up cat??? just replace and kiss away 500 bucks??

The car hates 40-50 mph when going up hill and I hear the engine whining, but no power stroke. Really hates uphill. Gets worse the hotter the car gets and the tranny bumps harder more you drive. Fluid looks ok, and isnt burnt.

Also car has quick coasting and when I take foot off gas, it down shifts at times and begins to slow down.

Could I have this gasket problem as well, or do you think i have a solenoid problem?

Thanks for your help.

Serb

Quick Reply: 2000 explorer shift problem