Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Cuts out in cruise

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 04:27 AM
Jerrybo66
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cuts out in cruise

When towing my trailer with the cruise control on, as I start up a hill and it starts to pull down the motor cuts out like turned off the key. I turn off the cruise and give it pedal and it takes off. I ask a Ford service guy about it and he said it was a safety switch. I didn't believe him so I didn't ask further. I very seldom use the control because I don't like it , so it doesn't bother me anymore but am concerned it may be a sign of something else more serious. Any ideas?

Old 03-16-2004, 04:54 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
I don't think it would be any "safety switch" built into the truck. I pulled a 28' trailer over the Cascades last August and used cruise control often, without the system cutting out on me. I'm only guessing here, but I assume that the CC operates by getting input from a few sensors, and that one or more sensors is giving a bogus reading to the pcm.

Old 03-16-2004, 12:55 PM
BenRosey
Junior User
My guess is that it is a faulty throttle position sensor (pedal assembly). I think it is $90 or so.

Old 03-16-2004, 01:27 PM
shendoa
Senior User
my truck does the same thing. it also kikes out of gear in cc when going up a hill when the speed decreeses. I was told it a detent valve in the transmission, controled by the computer. my son in law does the same thing. standard shift only.