Does my dist. need a double roll pin?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 04:54 PM
Ronin4x4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does my dist. need a double roll pin?

Hello, I just put a big pan and high volume pump on my 460. I have been told that the 460s with high volume oil pumps are known for shearing the distributer roll pin, and its cheap insurance to "double up" your roll pin. Does this just mean that you tap in some small solid rod inside your hollow roll pin or what?

Old 03-16-2004, 08:55 AM
oldhalftons
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
anyone know?

Old 03-16-2004, 01:57 PM
leadmic
Fleet Mechanic
Received 166 Likes on 121 Posts
The double roll pins are a spril pin that is diffrent from a standard roll pin. I would, and have put them in every Ford that I put a high pressure or high volum oil pump in. I also would put an after market oil pump drive, the ones that are a piece of crommoly round stock with the hexes milled into the ends. Thease shafts dont flex at all. I have had the roll pin in 428 CJ shear twice befor I went with a double roll pin and aftermarket oil pump drive sense then I have not had a problem. One other thing I did was drill the dist. shaft and gear out to the next size roll pin for added insurance. Also any good hardware store or parts house should have the double roll pins or at least be able to get them for you.
Leadmic

Old 03-16-2004, 02:39 PM
Ronin4x4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you Leadmic. I used the Melling hv pump and it came with its own replacement drive shaft. I don't really want to drop the pan again so hopefully this will do a decent job. So it sounds like I can just go down to Napa and order a double roll pin then. Cool, might as well because I'd imagine its cheap insurance. I appreciate the feedback.