is my engine on borrowed time?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 01:20 AM
equium
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is my engine on borrowed time?

'99 E150 XLT CLUBWAGON 5.4L
i got 93,000 miles on it. i have only used full synthetic oil since it's first oil change. (changed oil every 4-5,000 miles). changed the fuel filter a few thousand miles ago. Transmission flush at Jiffy Lube a few thousand miles ago. i don't tow anything and only haul the kids around. i have never done anything with the radiator. never changed the plugs. original serpintine belt. It runs as strong and smooth as the day i bought it. should i be prepared for anything to come? i was thinking of having a 100k mile tune up but, then again, if it's working, don't fix it. someone let me know if i'm slowly killing my motor or if i'm doing ok. thanks.

Old 03-13-2004, 05:12 AM
fitter565
Elder User
equium, If it was me, I would do the 100k tune up. It would be a good idea to change the belt, hoses, plugs and flush the cooling system. This would be a good insurance policy. After all you haul the kids around and you don't want to get stuck somewhere. As the old saying goes, take care of it and it will take care of you.

Fitter

Old 03-13-2004, 03:02 PM
Delta
Senior User
Change the rear axle oil.

Have you done the brakes yet? Check those and also flush the brake fluid.

Old 03-13-2004, 08:02 PM
SMiller
Elder User
I know it sounds funny, but I would wait untill it is missing or sputtering to do plugs and wires, some people have got over 170,000+ miles on the origanals, I would probally change the rear-end fluid and eventually change the radaitor fluid, no big deal.

Old 03-14-2004, 10:41 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I would change the plugs too. They may not misfire, but the widened gap from normal wear makes the coils work harder to try to jump that gap.
Gas mileage should also improve.
Change the air filter, PCV valve, belt, flush cooling system, replace the hoses and replace the fuel filter. Spend a little now, it can save you alot later!!

Old 03-15-2004, 02:54 PM
equium
Elder User
thanks for the input everyone. i spoke with 2 different "service advisors" at different ford dealers and got different answers. one basically said "if it works, don't fix it" and the other said "just do it". they want over 300 bucks just to change the plugs. i just spent 1000k bucks on new tires and brakes. guess i have to save up for a tune up. i was told by a local shop owner to flush my brake lines and to flush my tranny every 24000 miles. i miss the old days when you could just crawl into the engine well and do the work yourself. i probably could do the plugs but i'm out of practice and just don't have the time. thank again for the input.

Old 03-15-2004, 03:25 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by equium
i just spent 1000k bucks on new tires and brakes. guess i have to save up for a tune up.
I can't resist....
1000k bucks for tires? Why, that's $1,000,000 for tires and brakes!
I imagine you'll be saving for quite a while now.

On a serious note, I'd agree with Jimmy. Do the standard stuff and you won't be kicking yourself later. You know, stepping over dollars to pick up dimes.

Sounds like you have a nice automobile that has been pretty well cared for. My vote= keep it up and expect more years of good service!

Last edited by BrianA; 03-15-2004 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:43 PM
equium
Elder User
they were really, really nice tires. and the i had the brakes custom made to be like my BIGWHEEL when i was a kid. i pull on a lever outside the drivers door and it puts pressure on a friction pad right on the tires!
maybe i'll be able to wrestle the tax refund check from my wife and get the motor tuned up.

Old 03-18-2004, 08:39 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
That's cool for doing power slides!!!, I just always hated the flat spot in the fron tire though