Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Computer/PCM failure with Supper Chips programer

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 05:36 PM
rfcj7
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Computer/PCM failure with Supper Chips programer

My truck is a 2000 F350 super duty automatic with 55,000 miles using a Super Chip Programmer at 10,000 miles. Last night it just shut down. I could restart it and go 1000 ft and a shut down and it would not restart. If I let it sit for 5 –10 minutes it would restart and just repeat the run and stop. Seemed like it was running out of fuel!! Changed the fuel filter and air filter. No help. Had AAA tow it to a Ford dealer. Code E6?? And they not clear the error. The CPM? Needs to be replaced. Also it has a tamper code in it from the programmer so it is not covered by the warranty!!!! Well about $500to fix it. Super Chips and on this form it was said that product manufacturers (Ford) would have to prove that the modification was the cause of the problem. The new PCM is being sent by air from Michigan and I should find out if I have to battle with some one or not. I reinstalled the factory program before it went to the dealer. Anyone have experienced with this failure or after market products problems. The dealer told me they had 2 trucks there now with problems with Super Chip/CPM issues…..Richard

Last edited by rfcj7; 03-11-2004 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:01 PM
ramtruckman
Junior User
Richard,

About 3 Months ago I had the same exact problem I too run the SCMT and my PCM went bad. I was out of warranty but ford decided to cover my repair since I had so many problems with my truck even after they knew I was running the programmer. I don't know if the tuner is what caused my PCM failure but it would sure be interesting to see if anyone else has had the same experience as us.

Old 03-11-2004, 07:21 PM
diesel dummy
Freshman User
I am also curious if this happens often, as I just started using SCMT at 12,000 miles on my 03 7.3 f-350 First i have heard of frying pcm's I'm surprised ford covered it and I didn't know it puts a tamper code in the memory. Man you learn alot here more info would be great !!!

Diesel Dummy

Old 03-11-2004, 07:46 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
rfcj7

Do not let Ford keep your old PCM. If they want you to foot the bill for a new PCM, then fine, but make them aware that you will be taking the old one with you.

Any of a number of aftermarket chip/programmer companies will be able to verify if the PCM is bad or not, and if it is still good you will be in a position to expose the scam your dealer is running.

I'm not saying your dealer is running a scam, but it smells like male bovine excrement to me.

Old 03-11-2004, 09:39 PM
rfcj7
New User
I just wanted to add a noteto my post. I liked the performance of the programmer and I do not think the problem was caused by the Supper Chips programmer. After all I ran it for over 40,000 miles (3 ½ years) with out a problem. I did have a problem with the truck the day before the failure occurred. I left the key on all night and in the morning when I found my keys in the ignition the batteries where totally discharged. I hooked up a third battery (Very heavy cables) and a charger. After 10 minutes I tried to start the truck and it would only engage the starter solenoid, click, click, click, click. The alarms and warnings were making a racket so I let the truck stand for 1 hour and it started right up. Maybe that hurt the PCM??? But in fact if the service manager makes me pay ($500+) for the PCM I will call Supper Chips for advise and write to Ford about it. I will post a new topic on the results when the time comes. I would like to here more on this subject….Richard… My e-mail is: rfcj7@mindspring.com

Old 03-12-2004, 05:31 AM
slc10844
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you charged the dead batteries with the battery cables hooked up, I suspect the charger zapped the computer and not the SCMT.

Old 03-12-2004, 06:10 AM
Crumm
Elder User
When in return mine to stock it has the tamper code in it. If I clear the codes and drive it around for a while the code seems to be gone. I was wondering how one would clear the codes and then drive it around to make the system reset when it is broke down along the road... Sounds like you can't...

Old 03-13-2004, 07:43 AM
79CEEJAY
Elder User
When you return your truck to "stock" with the SCMT, it says it is clearing codes. It however does not clear the code that says that the PCM was accessed. You have to go back into the PCM with the SCMT and clear that last code. Go to diagnostics, NOT tune and select clear codes. This will clear the "tamper" code. Note that the code that is left merely states that the PCM was accessed, it does NOT prove that a tuner was hooked up. The dealer must first prove that you did use a tuner.....and that it was the direct cause of the failure. With this code there is no way they can determine if you did use a tuner......they can suspect it but they have no way of identifying what caused the code.