1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Too high RPM idle -after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 01:46 PM
find20
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too high RPM idle -after rebuild

After removing the heads on a 1989 E-150 5.8 - van, and replacing the head gaskets- it's back together & I have the engine revvving.... at about 3000 RPM-I wonder if the fuel pressure regulator is bad, or if I may have made a mistake reinstalling the throttle position sensor- can anyone give an answer????

Old 03-11-2004, 11:23 PM
c96drumm
Laughing Gas
Welcome to FTE!
See if maybe the throttle cable didn't go back on quite right, it might be holding the throttle open slightly. Check the IAC, see if it's dirty, stuck open. Check for vacuum leaks. Pull the codes. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Old 03-30-2004, 10:10 AM
find20
Freshman User
Failed fuel pressure regulator

To 'Franklin2'

The fuel pressure regulator developed a hole - and allowed fuel to run through the vacuum line and into the upper intake manifold. Under pressure from the fuel injection pump, and pulled through from intake manifold reverse pressure.

This caused the van - 1989 E-150 5.8 - to run out of gas several times, and to run very hot at idle.

After running out of gas the second time, a loud 'bang' occurred, and the head gaskets blew out.

After rebuild with new head gaskets, a vacuum leak was found in the most upper vacuum line, the one that runs into the unit above the EGR control unit.

With all of the electronic controls - Ford should build a failure warning mechanism, into the fuel pressure regulator, which will light up the warning light.

The failed Fuel pressure regulator nearly destroyed the engine through over-heating.