1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifted my '01 Crew Cab

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2001, 11:09 AM
wldwilliam
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lifted my '01 Crew Cab

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-Feb-01 AT 12:19 PM (EST)[/font][p]I have to post about my experience having my '01 Crew Cab lifted. I feel like I may be able to help someone else out who is thinking about a lift kit and where to go.

I drove the six hours it took to get from Simi Valley, CA to Mesa, AZ and it was well worth the trip. SuperDuty Headquarters, Ryan Marselis and his crew are a pleasure to do business with. I am ashamed to say that I never got the guys name who did the wrenching on my truck but talked with him throughout the project. He is very good with a wrench as well as king of "low-budget" racing (he knows what I mean). He treated my truck every bit as nice as I would have myself. Ryan was very easy to talk to, explained things clearly and made sure the truck was built to my satisfaction. If anyone is thinking about going out of their way to make the trip to Mesa and having a hard time making up their mind, I will tell you right now to make the trip. These guys know these trucks and you will be happy with their work. They had the Fabtech kit on in about 4 hours.

Now, the Fabtech kit. I was happily surprised to drive the truck and feel that the ride was as good as stock if not better. I went with the 5.5" kit including rear springs, single RS9000's, Velvet Ride shackles, Weld Sidewinder wheels and 35x12.50/16.5 BFG MT's. The truck tracks perfectly and the wheel is straight. I had a clunk on take off and stop when the truck was stock. Now it's gone...probably due to the fact that they spend whatever time it takes to shim the carrier bearing and rid the driveline of ANY vibrations. Before the lift, my odometer was off by two tenths in ten miles. After the new tires and speedo recalc by Ryan, it was only off by one tenth in ten miles...better than factory, cool! My truck, in my opinion, looks perfect with this combination but I may be biased .

My sincere thanks again to Ryan and SuperDuty Headquarters...a quality business run by nice people. Really, if you want it done right, call them and go see them. I do not own stock in and am not affiliated in any way with this company. I just get real excited when something works out the way it's suppose to.

Here's some pics:
[link:albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1458111&a=10957692|WLDS V10 PICS]

------------------
Bill McCall '01 F250 XLT 4x4 Crew Cab Short Box V10 Auto 4.30ls SRW

Old 02-12-2001, 09:30 AM
paulb32
Freshman User
Lifted my '01 Crew Cab

Im curious how I might know what size lift (if any) I might have on my 350. I know my truck sits a bit (maybe 2 inches) taller than some of my friends 250's or 350's. I didnt order this truck any certain way so I was wondering how I might go about knowing what the largest tire size I can put on this truck. I attached a photo if someone could possibly tell from just looking at a picture or how/where/what would I measure? The photo shows 2 measurements. The current tires are Firestone 265/75R16 on the factory rims.

http://people.mw.mediaone.net/jagian/truck.htm

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-12-2001, 01:34 PM
wldwilliam
Junior User
Lifted my '01 Crew Cab

Mine measures 23 1/4" in front and 23 3/4" in the rear if the rear measurement is going to the bottom of the pinch weld which it looks like it is in your graphic. That would lead me to believe that your truck is stock but since it is a 350, you have the bigger blocks in the rear. As far as how big a tire you can run, that would depend on how you use the truck I think. I've heard guys running 315's on a stock truck but they will rub in some circumstances. I think 285's would be nice or maybe some 33's

Bill McCall
'01 F250 Super Duty 4x4 Crew Cab Shorty V10 Auto 4.30ls
Fabtech 5.5" lift-all spring!, Weld Sidewinders,35" BFG MT's, RS 9000's, Velvet Rides

Old 02-12-2001, 06:36 PM
bullington
New User
Lifted my '01 Crew Cab

what was the out the door price?

Old 02-12-2001, 06:58 PM
wldwilliam
Junior User
Lifted my '01 Crew Cab

Fabtech 5.5" kit including rear springs
new rear u-bolts
Weld Racing 16.5x9.75 Sidewinders (4)
35x12.50/16.5 BFG Mud Terrains (4)
Rancho 9000 (4)
Velvet Ride shackles (2)
APC clear corners (1 pair)
speedo recalibration
installation

$3940

Bill McCall
Fabtech 5.5" lift-all spring!, Weld Sidewinders,35" BFG MT's, RS 9000's, Velvet Rides

Old 02-14-2001, 11:06 PM
rampage
Freshman User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lifted my '01 Crew Cab

hey wildwilliam, looks great!

are there any warrantee ford issues when doing a lift like yours?

Old 02-15-2001, 01:51 PM
wldwilliam
Junior User
Lifted my '01 Crew Cab

I'm sure that any failures that Ford can pin directly on the lift will not be covered or at a minimum, I will have to fight with them to have them covered. I have heard that some dealers will work with you on lifted trucks. I will have to bite that off as (hopefully not) it comes. The truck I have now is the one I have wanted since I first looked at the SD's so for me not to lift it immediately, would have left me less than satisfied for as long as it was stock. It's a decision each has to weigh on his/her own...for me it's worth it. Thanks for the reply.

Bill McCall

Old 02-16-2001, 08:04 AM
paulb32
Freshman User
Lifted my '01 Crew Cab

Wldwilliam,

How do you like those BFG MT’s? I was looking at those and the Dunlop Mud Rover tires. I spend most of my time on muddy job sites especially this time of year when the ground thaws. Right now I have the standard Firestone tires shipped on many of the super duty’s. I come close to getting stuck many times but manage to rock my way out in four-wheel drive. I’m looking for something a bit more reassuring.

Link to those Mud Rover tires: http://www.dunloptire.com/products/tire.html?tire=radial_mud_rover

Old 02-16-2001, 11:31 AM
wldwilliam
Junior User
Lifted my '01 Crew Cab

I like the BFG's very much. They would do well in your application I'm sure but the Dunlop's would probably do well also. The tread on the FireBlown's isn't too much on the aggressive side, is it?

Bill McCall

Old 02-16-2001, 09:38 PM
coloradov10
New User
Lifted my '01 Crew Cab

Bill-

First and foremost, I love your truck!

Is that a power step I see below the drivers door? I didn't see you mention it when you described your truck. Do you like it? Brand? Price? Anything special about ordering it? Special size needed for a lifted truck?

Thanks!

Fred

Old 02-17-2001, 11:26 AM
wldwilliam
Junior User
Lifted my '01 Crew Cab

Thanks for ther compliment.
Yes, it is a powered step. They are made by a company called Kodiak. They make a lot of steps for the RV industry. I think they are the greatest thing out there. I got mine at 4WheelParts but have seen them other places. The place where I had my truck lifted, SuperDuty Hdqtrs, sells them too. They used to make them in lifted and non-lifted heights but now, I think they only come in the lifted version which still worked well before mine went up. I had the steps before I had the truck. They cost in the neighborhood of $200 ea. I got them for $190. Run a search for "Kodiak truck steps" or "Kodiak steps" on the internet and you should get some hits. It's a great product that's well built. I hope that helped.
Bill

Bill McCall

Old 02-17-2001, 08:30 PM
coloradov10
New User
Lifted my '01 Crew Cab

Bill and whomever-

Bill comments that his lift is "all spring." Not having lifted my truck yet I was wondering about the difference between a spring lift and other types. Which is best for the smoothest ride? Is Fabtech "the" brand to get? I was thinking a 4" lift with 35" tires, will this work without rub?

Any other advice on lifting is appreciated.

Fred

Old 02-17-2001, 09:18 PM
wldwilliam
Junior User
Lifted my '01 Crew Cab

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 17-Feb-01 AT 10:21 PM (EST)[/font][p]
Bill comments that his lift is "all spring." Not having lifted my truck yet I was wondering about the difference
between a spring lift and other types.
The other popular ways are lift blocks or add-a-leafs. Lift blocks tend to create more axle wrap but use the stock springs so the ride stays pretty much the same. Ford uses a block from the factory so take that for what it's worth. Some kits want to stack blocks which IMO could be asking for trouble. It's just not stable enough, especially on these beasts. Add-a-leafs are almost always too dern stiff...a major drawback.

Which is best for the smoothest ride?
Considering ride quality alone, I'd say blocks will keep the ride close to stock (not taking into account the spring wrap mentioned above) and springs may be close to stock or a bit stiffer due to more arc in the spring. With that said, my Fabtech rear springs have proven to ride very well...at least as good as stock however I am also running Velvet Ride shackles. I recommend rear springs.

Is Fabtech "the" brand to get?
I have to admit I am biased but I will say yes anyway. I have heard Skyjacker mentioned in a positive light by many as well.

I was thinking a 4" lift with 35" tires, will this work without rub?
I have read both that guys have had no rubbing problems with a 4" kit and 35's and some report minor rubbing. I'm sure it depends a lot on which kit, tire and wheel combo you choose. I think the 5.5" Fabtech kit is the perfect stance for 35" rubber (again showing my bias). I haven't tested it yet, but I don't think it will rub even with the steering cranked and stuffing her in a rut but it isn't overly tall that the tires look too small in the wheelwells.

Any other advice on lifting is appreciated.
I think Fabtech is the way to go (more bias?) or custom spring packs from National Spring but then you're looking at a bigger chunk taken from your bank account. Stick with a multi, thin leaf spring pack and get rear springs. Also stick with quality shocks...Rancho, Bilstein, Edelbrock, etc

Good luck!

Bill McCall

Old 02-19-2001, 09:25 PM
idkwhy
Freshman User
Lifted my '01 Crew Cab

I just ordered the Fabtech 5.5" Lift kit for my yet to be delivered but on order 01 F-350 Crew Cab SRW Short Bed.
I ordered it with the V-10 & a 4.30 rear.
I ordered the fabtech kit with the dual front shocks, the velvet ride shackles and I insisted on the rear add-a-leaf as opposed to the blocks (I just do not believe in stacking blocks).
you mentioned that they had to shim the rear??? do you mean for the pinion angle?? I would think that the kit would come with the necessary shim to adjust for that???
Is the ride quality really as good as the factory?
I do not want to run as large a tire as you have I really prefer the factory rim and was just going to increase to a 315/70/16 or so?? what do you think??
It is so nice to be able to bounce things off others who are as passionate about there vehicles as I am about mine.
Last year I was forced to sell my 1999 F-350 super cab dually, It was a 6 Speed and I had Knee surgery making it impossible for me to drive the truck daily. Ever since then I have missed that truck so much that I finally could not take anymore and ordered a new one (due in on 3/13) I can not wait.
The reason for all of the questions is I lifted my 99 only 3" and the ride quality was not as good. The kit was made by superlift and it was one of the first kits available for the new body style. I am hoping that the engineering has come a long way since then.
I look forward to hearing from you or anyone who happens to read this.
IDK

Old 02-20-2001, 11:51 AM
wldwilliam
Junior User
Lifted my '01 Crew Cab

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 20-Feb-01 AT 01:01 PM (EST)[/font][p]I think you will be very happy with the ride of your new truck with the Fabtech. I think the ride is every bit as good as stock. You didn't mention shocks. You'll want to go with a quality shock as well. They did not shim the rear. What they did was space the carrier bearing for the two-piece drive shaft down to make the angle happier. It worked well but the shim kit is not included from Fabtech. My guy used a kit from ProComp but anyone can fabricate what is needed. The kit just made it easier. You say you don't want a tire as big as mine but a 315 is basically the same as a 35" tire. I wouldn't go any smaller because it might look funny with that much lift and a smaller tire. That's just my opinion of course. We will have very similar set-ups when you are done, the only difference being 250 vs. 350. I know you will have a smile on your face when all is done:-).Go with the 35's/315's:7

Bill McCall

Quick Reply: Lifted my '01 Crew Cab