Better instructions for MAC intake...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 03:27 PM
Inda Bonda
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Better instructions for MAC intake...

I got the intake today and reading the instructions gave me a headache. I'm not mechanically incline, so I need better instructions on how to install this thing. Any help is appreciated.

Old 03-08-2004, 03:41 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Remove the air filter cover just as you would to replace the air filter. Set aside the cover as it will not be reused.

Follow the wiring harness that comes out the MAF sensor (located just inside the big round piece left attached to the intake tube) down underneath the assembly and unplug it from the connector which is secured to a structural member. This harness STAYS with the MAF sensor.

Disengage the remaining air intake assembly from the base by pulling up to disengage from the 2 rubber grommets underneath.

Remove this assembly, with the MAF sensor harness still in-tact, by removing the clamps holding it to the tube.

Remove the tube from the throttle body by removing the clamp.

Use a screwdrive tip to pry open the round piece inside the remaining big round housing. (think about prying open a can of paint, get the picture?)

Remove the MAF assembly by removing the 2 large philips head screws.

Install the MAF assembly in the housing provided with the new intake.

Complete the installation by referencing the photo shown in this thread:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...5&pagenumber=2

Be sure to plug in the MAF harness.

Note: The MAF sensor assmebly bolts to the metal flange and when completed, the wiring harness will leave the intake tube from the top, route towards the front of the truck, then go back down underneath and to the connector. At least that is how mine turned out. Try laying it all out on the floor so you can see how it will fit together before you try it under the hood.

Be sure the clamps tightly seal the blue pieces so that no air leaks occur.

I'll try and take a digital photo of mine so you can refer to it if you need to.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions!

Last edited by BrianA; 03-08-2004 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:53 PM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
What about the air temp sensor? I didn't notice a step to relocate it into the new location on the MAC?

Garrett

Old 03-08-2004, 04:50 PM
Inda Bonda
Senior User
So I unplug both sensors from the tube and filter casing? How do both sensors plug into the new tube?

What are the two plugs with the screws in it for?

Old 03-08-2004, 10:05 PM
Inda Bonda
Senior User
Brian,

Hate to do this to you but could you explain it in simpler terms. I believe I've got most of if figured out. What I don't understand is what the two holes in the metal tube are for and the two looking plugs with one screw each is for.

Also, what is connected to the bracket that holds the filter? I've noticed something is connected to the metal tube and it is connected to the metal bracket. I can't see where to connect the two sensors on the new intake.

Thanks for your patience.

Old 03-09-2004, 08:19 AM
Inda Bonda
Senior User
Ok, I believe I have figured it out except for a couple of things.

I see the mass air flow sensor and then there's another sensor that is connected on the air flow tube. Where do I connect that sensor onto the new air flow tube?

What are the two holes in the new air flow tube for?

The kit came with two hourglass plastic shape plugs with a screw on top of each. What are these used for?

I appreciate all the help.

Old 03-09-2004, 09:11 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do NOT hesitate to ask more questions if needed. We are all gald to help. Speaking of help, maybe this will....

Two little rubber jobs will stick into the round holes in the metal pipe. You will then insert the IAT (Input Air Temperature) sensor into the one furthest from the engine intake, and the round tube from the valve cover into the opening closest to the engine. These rubber grommets will hold these two items in place. Seat them firmly and be sure you don't have air leaks. Mind the IAT sensor. It is breakbale.

Concerning putting everything else together; the black metal bracket will bolt where the air filter housing used to sit. The metal bracket is "L" shaped and the "L" will sit just as you see it here. The bottom of the "L" will point to the fender well. The plastic pieces you describe are for mounting the "L" bracket to the metal frame that used to hold the air filter housing. Attach the plastic pieces to the "L" bracket and then force the ends of the plastic pieces into the rubber grommets in the holes in the metal frame.

The MAF sensor will bolt directly to the "L" bracket on the engine side of the "L" bracket. Use the rubber gasket mateial supplied for an airtight seal and be sure to note the direction of the MAF. It does matter.

The wires will come off the top of the MAF and route back around the front of the MAF, underneath, and back to the connector.

That's all I can think of now.
Ask more if you have more!

Thanks.

Last edited by BrianA; 03-09-2004 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:23 AM
true4.2
Postmaster
Ok, here goes.

In your kit you recieved a filter, intake tube (which has 2 predrilled holes), 2 blue rubber things, a round gasket, 5 hose clamps (4 for the intake tube and 1 for the filter), 6 screws (4 to clamp the intake tube to the Mass Air Sensor and 2 to attach the new metal intake plate to the existing holes where you pulled out the old intake housing), the intake plate, and 2 grommets that the other 2 screws go in. <--this is what you were talking about when you were describing the hourglass things.

I'm just gonna start (detailed) from beginning to end:

TOOLS YOU NEED: (or at least I needed)

-a ratchet
-a 7mm, 8mm, and 10mm ratchet piece
-flathead screwdriver
-elbow grease

1. Turn off truck

2. Disconnect negative lead on battery (BE SURE YOU DO THIS!)

3. Unhook the filter housing clamp and take out the old filter.

4. Take your ratchet and 7mm and 8mm ratchet heads and disconnect the hose clamps. 1 will be connected to the throttle body and 1 will be connected to the intake filter housing.

5. Set the clamps aside and now you have an old plastic intake tube with 1 wire and 1 hose stuck in it. Take the hose which is closer to the throttle body and just pull it out. It won't just come out easy so you'll need to pull fairly hard. Then, diconnect the sensor from the wire that goes into the other part of the intake tube. Now you can take the old plastic intake tube out.

6. You will have a sensor still left in the tube where you unplugged the wiring. Carefully pull it out. This is a bit of a pain so just be very patient and careful when doing it.

7. Once you have it out, set it to the side. You are now left with the filter housing that is attached to the firewall of the truck. This is the part that people get confused on I think. Take the filter housing in your hands and pull it out. It will be held in at 3 different places. 1 is on the sidewall of the truck and the other 2 are underneath the housing at 2 different spots that are side by side. This isn't just an easy pull. You will need to pull very hard until it comes out. Just work it as best you can.

8. Once you get it out you will need to look at the 2 spots where the housing was attached underneath. There should be to open slots. This is where those 2 "hourglass shaped things" go.

9. Now then, pry open the front of the filter housing with a flathead screwdriver. It will have a couple of places for you to pry at. Once the front is off, you will be looking at the Mass Air Flow Sensor. It will be connected by 3 or 4 bolts. Just get a screwdriver or ratchet and unscrew them. Once you unscrew it, unplug the plug from the sensor and feed the wiring out of the side of the housing. Then, just pull the sensor out.

10. Now that you have everything uninstalled, you need to reverse the process...kind of.

11. Take the black metal plate you got, all 6 screws, and the 2 hourglass things. This will be connected where the old housing was. This plate is what will be holding the intake assembly in place. Take the plate and set it over those 2 existing holes that are now uncovered where the old housing was connected OVER the 2 hourglass things that you should have already put in the holes. Then, just take the 2 matching screws and screw it down. Easy. The other 4 screws come into play later.

12. Now comes the tricky part. You have to install the intake tube first. PRE-ASSEMBLE IT! Take the old sensor that came out of the old intake tube and put it in the existing hole that is closest to the filter. It will not be easy. Carefully push that friggin' thing in until it is snug. Do the same thing with that old hose you took out.

13. Now, you connect the 2 blue rubber things to the intake tube with hose clamps. 1 on each end. Then, connect the other ends to the throttle body and the metal plate you intalled with the other 2 hose clamps.

I will continue this how-to later. I'm at work on a break and I need to go. I'll finish it up at around 11:30.

Old 03-09-2004, 09:24 AM
Inda Bonda
Senior User
I've noticed that the two holes in the air flow tube already have rubber gaskets in them. All I do is insert the round tube from the valve cover into the hole closest to the throttle body? And insert the IAT closest to the filter? Ok, I understand now.

Concerning the the round tube from the valve cover and the IAT, how do they come out of the old air flow tube? Use a flathead to pry them out?

I see that the two rubber boots are different sizes. one is taller (or longer) than the other. Does it matter which goes to which end?

Appreciate all the help.

Old 03-09-2004, 12:04 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
Yes, it matters. All you do to get the hose out is pull it out with your hands. DO NOT pry it out with a screw driver because you could damage it. Main thing is to be patient with it. DON'T WORRY, you'll get it on.

Continued from number 13...

I think I might have a made a small mistake. The other end of the new intake tube will attach to the mass air flow sensor NOT the metal plate. Sorry... Ok, here is the procedure for the Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF). Once the metal plate is installed and you have the MAF out, you will need to attach the MAF to the metal plate. This is how you do it. Take the rubber gasket that came in the kit, the extra 4 bolts and a ratchet and do these steps. With the plate installed:

-put the rubber gasket between the plate and MAF.

-The plate already has 4 pre-drilled holes where the other 4 bolts will go. The MAF has 4 existing holes from where you took it out in the first place.

-Since I don't have a picture, I will try to explain the way it should look. When you place the MAF against the place to put the bolts on, you need to make sure the part where the wiring plugs in is above/on top and make sure the 'plug face' is facing you. You will run the wiring for the plug underneath the MAF and plug it in up top.

-Then, just bolt the MAF onto the metal plate with the 4 bolts.

-Your semi-final result of this stage should look like this: The MAF will be on the left side of the metal plate. The wiring should be run underneath the MAF and back around to the top of the MAF to get plugged back in. The rubber gasket should be between the MAF and the metal plate. Then, you should have the metal plate installed with the 4 bolts tightened pretty snug.

14. From here, you can get the huge MAC Filter out of the box with the gasket it comes with and connect it to the other side of the metal plate. Make sure you tighten it pretty snug so there isn't much movement.

15. From here, attach the intake tube to the MAF with the remaining gaskets. Double check to make sure everything is snug and secure.

16. Make sure all wiring is not being pulled to much and that there is a little 'give' in the wiring. Make sure the hose from the valve is plugged into the hole in the tube closest to the throttle body. Make sure the IAT sensor is installed in the hole in the intake closest to the filter.

17. With ALL the wiring hooked back up, reconnect the negative lead on the battery and start the truck. It will take approximately 2 to 3 seconds longer to start than normal. With it running, go back and listen to see if you hear any leaks or wierd noises.

In fact, the only different noise you should here is the whistle the intake makes while pulling in all that extra air! Then, once you are satisfied, close the hood, get in your truck, and run the crap out of it and feel all that extra power! Any questions?

Old 03-09-2004, 12:11 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
Here's a pretty good picture of what the end result should look like:

http://www.macperformance.com/store/...Product_ID=289

Old 03-09-2004, 12:14 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
Now then, I don't think it can get much more detailed than that. Just be sure to take it slow, read the instructions a few times while looking at the pictures, and you should be able to put it on without breaking a sweat.

Reminder:

Remember that the hose and IAT are a pain to get out and re-install. You are going to have to force them out with your hands. It took me about 3 minutes on the IAT to get it out, and another 4 or 5 to wedge it back in. Just be careful with all of it. Hope this helps.

Old 03-09-2004, 03:31 PM
Inda Bonda
Senior User
Yes it helps. Thank you. I'm going to tackle this on Friday and will post when I'm done.

One more question:

Concerning the two blue rubber boots that come with the kit, which one goes to which end of the air flow tube? According to the picture, it looks like the longer boot goes onto the throttle body.

Thank you for all the help and patience.

Old 03-09-2004, 06:19 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
No actually the larger goes onto the MAF...if I remember correctly, and the other goes on the throttle body. You'll find out when you do the install for sure. Just remember that both of the smaller ends go on the intake tubing.

You welcome.