460 not getting fuel...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 01:32 PM
Thomsen
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
460 not getting fuel...

I just got everything ready on my 460 to get it started...i went to get it started but i wasnt getting any fuel...i can put gas in the bowl and it will fire but when the gas is burnt up it will die. It has a brand new mr gasket mechanical fuel pump on it but i am still not getting fuel to the carb. This is the first time this motor will have been fired with a mechanical fuel pump on it...is there a trick that i need to know to get it to start pumping?

Old 03-08-2004, 03:46 PM
mchild
Senior User
Are you sure the eccentric that operates the pump lever is installed? To check the operation of the pump you can remove the line from the fuel tank and hold your finger over the opening on the pump while the engine is turned over to see if you have good suction. If you do then take of the line that goes up to the carb and see if you have pressure on that side of the pump. If you have suction and pressure on the correct sides of the fuel pump then make sure that all your fuel lines are open and not clogged in some way. Plus, make sure that the tank line is on the suction side of the pump.

Good luck,

Mark

Old 03-15-2004, 02:14 PM
DennisL
New User
Is this a newer truck? Is the electric pump and pickup still in the tank and hooked up? Not sure if the mechanical pump can suck threw that stuff.
Dennis.