any ideas

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 08:35 AM
truckertony
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy any ideas

well after exhausted trips to the dealer about cracking sounds coming from what i thought was the exhaust system on my 03 sc is actually coming from the engine sometimes the right side sometimes the left side and sometimes the front of the engine it does it when driving the first 10 minutes until i guess it gets hot enough and when i park it does about 2 hours until its completly cold im not sure if its the exhaust manifolds,heads,intake the dealer wont address the issue any longer they say its normal maybe i will hear some news from the dispute board soon sure hope they give me some owner appreciation money.

Old 03-08-2004, 08:58 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have heard "popping" sounds (I guess that's the best way of describing it) since my truck was brand new. Mine will sometimes pop an hour or two after it has been parked. I have no idea EXACTLY what it is, other than it is stuff getting hot and cooling off. It has never caused any problems.
Do you have problems associated with this sound, or is it just the popping sound itself that is bothering you?
Thanks.

Old 03-08-2004, 09:10 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
I've always experienced that sound with any new vehicle i've owned, including motorcycles. I park my motorcycle in my living room after I ride it and, although it is a year old now, i still hear cracking noises for an hour or so as it cools down.

my truck has 12000 miles on it and is a 2003 also. The things pops and cracks like a pile of burning grasshoppers for at least an hour after I shut it off. Completely natural, especially with alot of the thin aluminum heat sheilds and so forth they put on new vehicles now. Flick one of these heat sheilds with your finger and it will make the same sound. It's just making that noise from expansion and shrinking as it heats up and cools off.

Don't worry about it. Enjoy and love your truck.

Tom

Old 03-08-2004, 11:17 AM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep,I got the same burning grasshoppers in my truck. And that loud popping noise,that happens every so often too. The creeking noises you here are the catalytic converters cooling down at such a rapid pace.Remember,they can get up to or past 600*!

Old 03-08-2004, 11:27 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
And the cats are surrounded by that lightweight aluminum heatsheild metal that makes a harmonic ding if you tap it with your finger. Alot of that noise is coming from these heatsheilds.

AND, we've got 4 of those darn things on our motors Bad for us AND the poor grasshoppers

Tom

Old 03-08-2004, 11:32 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
You know, it could also be that someone is playing a joke on you and tossing fresh grasshoppers on your motor in the morning. If you see this happening, you should report these people to your local humane society because it is, although funny, a very cruel joke.

Ok, now i'm just

Tom

Old 03-08-2004, 11:43 AM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Poor grasshoppers.....they will never know what it is like to be stuck on a hook and eaten by a fish!

Old 03-08-2004, 11:48 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
Originally posted by BrianA
I have no idea EXACTLY what it is, other than it is stuff
Ya know, I think we're wrong about the grasshoppers Blue, Brian seems to know exactly what the problem is and I have to say I tend to agree with him. The cause of the problem is definetely "STUFF".

Tom

Old 03-08-2004, 05:21 PM
truckertony
Freshman User
mmmmmmmm

well thanks for the info but this is the 7th pickup i bought from ford and this one just isnt right im getting a knocking cracking sound from the engine block it runs okay but something isnt normal its not the heat shields i have none didnt fix problem either well i will let you know what ford says they said i will have a response in 40 days i dont know about nights

Old 03-08-2004, 07:29 PM
MJEmerson
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the popping noise too for whatever thats worth.

Old 03-10-2004, 11:55 AM
pcdocta
Freshman User
I agree with the Catalytic converters making the noises. But I would like to say that I had to change them (twice) (with factory replacements) because for some reason the pre-catalyst on bank-1 broke up and clogged the exhaust. I have had the injectors replaced, heads cleaned up and all gaskets replaced, and my engine still acts up intermittently. I have a gut feeling that the engine PCM may have some type of problem but not sure..

'97 XLT F-150, 4.2 V6, 5-speed MT, (wish I had a V8)

Old 03-10-2004, 12:00 PM
Busa01
Postmaster
Man, I hate to say this but sell that thing and buy a chevy

Sounds like you have too many problems with it. Cat breaking and clogging the exhaust?? These are problems I've never heard anyone ever experiencing before. Seems to me you have alot of very strange malfunctions with your truck. These don't seem normal to me. I'd getting running good temporarily and sell the darn thing.

Tom

Old 03-10-2004, 11:46 PM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
TT, just sell me your truck for an extremely reduced price and get yourself a chebbie. :P

I get the popping to from the ENGINE BAY, not he cats. I can trace it down to inside the oil pan most likely the pan itself or the pump settling down or somthing. the whole assy gets hotter than hades and is also all aluminum. Aluminum shrinks and expands alot. I really say it is of no concern honestly I know I am very pleased with this truck and how well it takes the beating I give it....I mean drive 1k iles to a drag strip flog her for 5 passes then drive her at an avg of 95 mph for 250 miles to anther show and then drive her the otehr 750 miles.. al in 2 days. she takes a beating.

Only problem I have, and I want to see who else has it is the Cats ticking? Taht annoying metalic clank? I know what it is and know that it is of no serious concern either, but just asking who all has to put up with it?

Old 03-11-2004, 05:37 AM
pcdocta
Freshman User
Yeah, believe me I have thought about it, but I just really love this truck. I guess that's why I keep investing in it.. LOL. For right now, it's working pretty ok................maybe I should sell it (and give the problem to someone else) .........hmmmmmmmm.......

Anyone know about engine PCM ? or why they are not easily swappable? and also where to get a schematic for a particular model PCM?

Old 03-11-2004, 07:34 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
i'm stupid!

My post above was meant for another thread, i don't know how this happened....duh!!!!

Tom