1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Ranger Clutch/Tranny problems - Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 10:13 PM
WillAshland
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ranger Clutch/Tranny problems - Please help!

I've had my 1991 Ranger (2.9L Super Cab) for about a year now. Lately, every so often, it will refuse to shift into any gear from neutral. Sometimes I can get it into second, and take off from there. This problem is on and off, happening once every couple weeks or so. It had this problem really bad one night and I broke down in a dealership, and one of the salesmen said he thought it was my synchros. My truck has 135,000 miles, and has never had any clutch replacement of any kind. It might be that my clutch isn't disengaging (or engaging) when I press on the pedal, so that's why it won't shift very easily. I figured before I drop my clutch or tranny, to ask a forum what they think. Any helpful comment would be appreciated!

-Will

Old 03-07-2004, 10:30 PM
el conquistador
Posting Guru
Check the tranny fluid level first. When is the last time it was changed? if its been over 30k or 40k miles definately change it. probably change it if it hasnt been that long. when you pull the drain plug check the magnet for metal. if you have a mazda tranny then replace the shift rail plugs on the top of the rear of the tranny. when refilling it be sure to use Ford recommended tranny fluid.

Old 03-08-2004, 02:03 AM
84ford460
Senior User
Could also be the dang hydralic throwout. But I'd try el con's idea first. new fluid does wonders in the Mazda tranny.