Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

CRAFTSMAN Tools

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 05:53 PM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 112 Likes on 98 Posts
I will never buy another air tool from them. Their rachets aren't very good either but they are lifetime warrented.

Old 03-12-2004, 06:47 PM
billsco
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You must be one or the other - lifetime waranteed and good, or lifetime waranteed and not good. If you are the latter you will not last long. Craftsman has been around for a long time.

Old 03-12-2004, 11:43 PM
4x4madness
Junior User
I have owned both Craftsman and Snap-On and I used to wrench for a living. Now I must say that both tools are very durable and can handle some mistreatment (The occasional 100mph toss across my shop) but I feel the real difference comes in fit and finish. Craftsman tools can sometimes be bulky, which explains the durability where as Snap On has a much lighter feel and smooth finish which makes them much easier to clean.

Old 03-13-2004, 02:07 AM
94F150-408
Posting Guru
The best thing about the Craftsman hand tools is by far the warranty. I'm not familiar with Snap-on and Macs current policies on returned sockets, but try to take back a Proto or S/K chrome socket that you split using it on your impact and they will not take it (If the store does take it back, they are the ones that have to eat the cost, Proto and S/K will not warranty these conditions, along with evidence of a cheater bar being used, etc..). I know Sears will take back any socket, split from impacting, screwdrivers with obvious signs of being used as a chisel, etc. I dont care for their (Craftsman) ratchets and Torque Wrenches ( you can find alot of Snap-On and Mac guys that carry the Bonney Torque Wrenches, these are a super torque wrench at a reasonable price). As recently as the 80's Craftsman hand tools were made by Easco/KD Tools, I'm not sure if they still make them or not.

Oh yeah, Craftman makes most if not all of their combination wrenches available now in the full polish, thinner style wrenches also.

Last edited by 94F150-408; 03-13-2004 at 02:10 AM.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:10 AM
1kickbttranger
New User
Once you go Snap on, you will never go back.

Old 03-16-2004, 06:29 PM
Defective
Junior User
Unless, of course, some !@#$%&*#! has stolen all of your Snap-On tools leaving you too broke to replace them...

Old 03-16-2004, 08:31 PM
User 050423
Mountain Pass
Originally posted by mark a.
I will never buy another air tool from them. Their rachets aren't very good either but they are lifetime warrented.
FWIW, the majority (if not all) of their air tools are manufactuerd by Ingersoll Rand.

Old 03-17-2004, 04:16 AM
fstbkbldr
New User
I'v owned about every brand of tool out there and craftsman ranks up in the top 5. I'll never buy anether mac since stannly merged with them there hand tools (screwdrivers pliers ect.) went down hill after that and i'll agree with every body else there ratchets are no good all mine are snap-on but all my wrenches are crafstmen I've never broke one doing commercal diesal work.

Old 03-17-2004, 03:29 PM
jfrbronco
Junior User
got a mix of: snap-on, mac, sk,and kd all in a craftsman box.
the box works good for cheap!

Old 03-17-2004, 08:28 PM
beyoungsr
New User
Originally posted by dono
I have some Craftsman tools that are over forty years old and have been trouble free. When you buy make sure they say "Forged in USA'', I have a set of twelve Craftsman metric wrenches that were made in Japan and a set of six Craftsman pliers and cutters that were made in China. They would not exchange them since they were not broke.
My friend,
They have to exchange them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The warranty is on your satisfaction not the tools.

Ask for the Department manager and tell them you are not satisfied. If they don't respond ask for the store manager.

I gaurantee you will leave the store happy!

Old 03-17-2004, 11:34 PM
BASSER
New User
I've been a mechanic for over 35 yrs, car, truck and aircraft, Nothing wrong with Craftmans' tools...They are easy to replaced if you break one, or even wear one out. I will agree Mac, and Snap On...are expenive..

Old 03-17-2004, 11:44 PM
buzzard
Logistics Pro
So long as they're made in USA and warranted forever, Craftsman tools will fill my box.

Old 03-18-2004, 11:07 AM
94F150-408
Posting Guru
They are ussually pretty good about their warranty, if you have problems, as stated, just a little conversation with the mgr will clear things up.

I did have a little argument with a local Sears over a Craftsman water pump that quit working. The local Sears ,including the store manager, seemed to think that since the pump was originally bought at Orchard Supply Hardware (this is a local hardware store that is owned wholly by Sears) they (Sears) dident have to replace it, only Orchard Supply had this responsibility. It took the store manager and over a half hour of convincing that nowhere within the paperwork that came with that pump does it state this "policy" they were trying to sell me. They did end up replacing it, with reluctance. They still told me, after replacing the pump that in the future I needed to return it to where it was purchased...I am still looking for that "rule" in the warranty policy!

Old 03-18-2004, 04:38 PM
Ford15926
Freshman User
Ived owned snap on and craftsman and snap ons dont seem to break as often and thats the important thing.and they sell a lot more speacilty tools and they come to the shop, thats convinent

but this isnt really all that important but when you invest thousands of dollars on a good set of tools you want to show them off a bit. And snap on tools look a lot better and they are easier to clean therefore making them look a lot nicer in the showing process.

Old 03-18-2004, 08:20 PM
marc9000
Senior User
Craftsman are good tools. It's nice to have a few really commonly used tools (1/2 - 9/16 combinations as an example) in Snap on or Mac, but a sizable percentage of their cost is in the weekly service of their tool truck. That's my determination of who's tools I buy - if I have access to their service. If I have no tool truck access, then Craftsman is it!!

Quick Reply: CRAFTSMAN Tools