1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Help! Transmission Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 01:28 PM
Johnboy_BoomerSooner
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Transmission Troubles

I just inherited a 99 F-150 5.4L V8 auto trans with O.D. ... I drove it home from OK last week to here in Atlanta and rolled the 100000 mile mark just as I got here. I drove it back again last weekend and just outside of Nashville I noticed that my O.D. "Off" indicator light was flashing. I was pulling a trailor at the time and thought that may have had something to do with it so I turned off the O.D. and stopped to checked the fluid levels shortly there after. Everything was normal, and the transmission wasn't acting strange so I drove on in with the O.D. off. The truck has a tach. and usually ran about 2200 rpms at 70 mph in O.D. and aroung 3000 with the O.D. off... this didn't change so I don't suspect any slipping. After dropping off some stuff in OK and dropping the trailer, I noticed that after driving for a while the O.D. "Off" Light would flash again. I took it by a local dealership there and they said I had a servo unit that had gone out, it was accessible through the pan so for $395 I got a new servo put in, new fluid and filter. The next day I left to come back to ATL and to my surprise I had no reverse gear? I took it back to the dealership, they said another servo had failed and was nice enough to install it and only charged me for the part and the fluid, no labor. Well, everything was fine when I picked up the truck, but now that I am back when I put the truck into reverse it kills the engine... So far I think they've broke more than they have fixed... until they started on it all I had was a blinking light. Now I'm concerned that I may have torque converter problems. The dealer told me to bring it back by (how convenient now that they are 850 miles away) and they had some additive they could put in the trans. that would "loosen it up"...

Anyone been through this before or have any suggestions?

Old 03-05-2004, 02:43 PM
cschroth1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool O.D. Light blinking??

Hi,
I recently bought a 1997 F-140 4.6L 4x4.Shortly after picking it up,I too had a blinking o.d light.I brought it back to the used car dealers,they had it sent out to a trannsmission shop,apparently it was a speed sensor.Its been fine since then.Good luck,you might want to try a good transmission shop?