Pro Update

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 01:13 AM
Idiomaticman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pro Update

Pro,
im getting all antsy over here. hows that swap comming along, its been a little while since the last update. you know, you are going to have to post up detailed discrption of what you did because i am very intresed. come on, lets hear how its all comming along, and im sure everyone else is too!!!

Idio

Old 03-05-2004, 01:25 AM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gawd, I just went over this with Ho on Pirate, but here goes.....

Long **** search for parts....longer wait for ordered stuff to get here, etc. Finally got all my junk and parts rolled in. New flywheel drilled for 12" clutch, etc. Tore through the NP-435 and rebuilt it, thing shifts like a toploader now (okay, not quite, but damn near). The small stuff has been holding me up. For example: I've been running the stock pan which naturally uncovers the pickup on big air. So I drop it and order a $$$ Canton custom racing pan. Extra capacity, trapdoor baffles, full windage tray, plus crank scraper. Well, it has a kicked out sump so I had to drop my exhaust to put it in. Okay. Crap, my copper rear mount radiator lines interfer with the new pan so I have to cut those out and redo them too. Time to bolt up the pan...won't fit. Canton's specs were off 1/2" and it hits my front cross member. Sooo I cut off the front of my $$$ pan and mig in a new beveled front. Cool....bolt it back up......and Cantons pickup designed to work with this pan interfers with their windage tray. So I have to redesign that before it all gets buttened up. Thats just one example of how this whole swap has been going. Major pita. Add to the story I've been busy as hell and out of town nearly every weekend wrenching time has been at a minimum.

Soooo, as things stand now I'm pretty dang close. Everythings finished except I have to reroute my radiator lines, braze them, and actually bolt up the tranny. At this point thats the easy stuff. Should be done this weekend. My only possible hangup will be that once the trannies up I've gotta remeasure my intermediate driveline and then have it cut, lengthend and re-balanced. I say possible hangup because I don't have the equipment to balance driveshafts, which means I gotta wait on other schmucks. I'd say eta should be next weekend. There ya go, sorry you asked?

edit: Funny thing is, with all the extra hp getting to rear wheels with the stick, and my love of high rpm clutch drops, I imagine I'm gonna be spending ALLOT more time fixing busted up stuff

Last edited by proeliator; 03-05-2004 at 01:29 AM.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:40 AM
Idiomaticman
Senior User
you could have linked

nice edit, i was going ot ask what kind of wheelies you are going to be doing with this thing here in the near future.....hope you bought a nice clutch, im going to say that is going to be your weak link of course. cant wait to see it in action.

oh ya....great story :flipoff: hahahahahahah....i crack myself up sometimes

now i will be btt-ing this thread every few days for you right pro??

thax,
Idio

Old 03-05-2004, 01:45 AM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Actually, its a pretty serious racing clutch...downside is a harsh engagement because it has zero slip...upside is that it has, well, zero slip. Which is what I need with my level of horse and traction. Probably would have made more sense to have kept the clutch as a weak link, but I'd rather pretzle my 1 ton driveshafts so I can buy some of Jesse's (highangle). Whats gonna drive me nuts is getting everything in this weekend, then waiting for my shaft to get done next week...

Old 03-05-2004, 01:53 PM
Texan1983
Posting Guru
i love seeing busted parts! make sure you get pics of that, because my broken parts are getting boring. (i know i am a little messed up)

Old 03-07-2004, 11:12 AM
85351ho
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nothing ****es me off more than a clutch that slips...im with pro, a stout clutch is the way to go, who cares if you break stuff

Old 03-09-2004, 08:15 PM
Redneck-Cowboy
Elder User
U-joints, driveshafts and rear-ends are easier to fix then a clutch. I wouldn't have done it any different. If you got the money, put in something good that will last and over do what is required, so you don't have to go back in agian and are set for any future horsepower or traction upgrades. Unless you wreck the tranny (highly doubt you'd bust that NP-435 though) but crazier things have happened.

Old 03-10-2004, 08:57 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
trick is onot have any weak links! beef up everything so the only thing that breaks is the ground! course that takes mucho moneyo too!

-jason-

Old 11-05-2004, 01:25 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
I was looking for that rear mount radiator thread and this popped up.

Anyways, its kind of funny reading it since we all knew what ended up happening to my driveline. Sounds like I jinxed myself