Open Letter to Ford Regarding Diesels

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 01:30 PM
shakemyspeare
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Open Letter to Ford Regarding Diesels

Dear Product Managers/Engineers/Designers at Ford:

Why can't you guys put a diesel into a 1/2 package?

I want diesel for two main reasons, the first is that diesel tends to get better mileage than an equivalent gas motor, and the second is that, being the tree-hugging hippie I am, I like the option of running bio-diesel. Could you guys please please put a diesel into the F150, it doesn't even have to be a PSD. That motor probably wouldn't fit anyways. I'm sure there's a European motor that you could federalize and drop in. You make a 2.5L TD for the Ranger in Europe and a 2.4L TD for the commercial vans, so how about bringing one of those motors over, beefing up the power a tad and dropping it in the F150. Heck, if the PSD fits, put it in.

Give us diesel power, just without the Superduty package. Not everyone wants a HD truck that can carry a ton or tow 7 or 8. We'd prefer the slightly smaller F150 with the nicer ride and the nicer interior. Not to mention, the smaller sticker price. All I need to carry is a motorcycle and supplies from the odd trip to Home Depot. I can't be the only one who likes Ford diesel just not the Superduties that it comes in?

I'm sure somebody from Ford reads this site regularly to scope the market, so if we all get together (assuming I'm not the only one) maybe something will happen.

Old 03-04-2004, 05:41 PM
Andysutt
Postmaster
Id buy a 1/2 ton w/ a diesel
but if i was going to buy a new truck, it'd be a 3/4 or a 1 ton
but thats because I would use the mess out of it

Old 03-04-2004, 06:14 PM
couleeman
Posting Guru
I have debated the diesel several times. I really only need a half ton, but prefer the diesel. I would buy a 1/2 ton diesel in a heartbeat. Chevy had the 6.0 in their half tons.

Old 03-04-2004, 06:53 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey I just read today that ford has not given up on adiesel motor in their half ton truck maybe by the 2006 model year. Wouldn,t that be great. Something like 20 to 25 miles per gallon and power to burn. They would have to build another truck plant to keep up demand for that truck. People gettin rid of their Chevies and dodges for the new trucks. My hunch is were going to see it.Just my thoughts Thanks

THE BEST NEVER REST BUILT FORD TOUGH

Old 03-04-2004, 07:27 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Rest assured that Ford will be the first to the market place with a diesel in the F150 in 2006. Sit tight! It's gonna be great!

Old 03-04-2004, 07:44 PM
shakemyspeare
Senior User
Could you post the link or tell us where you read that?

Old 03-04-2004, 11:45 PM
Proteus566
Senior User
I'd love a diesel in the F150. Prefferably a straight 6.

My experience with diesel has been limited but very positive.

Aren't their emmisions standards that need to be met in order for a diesel to appear in a 1/2 ton truck? those could pose a problem.

Alvie.