Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

body lift?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 05:56 PM
bigblack89
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question body lift?

What all has to change when body lifting a 89 F150 any suggestions on how to go about it ?

Old 03-02-2004, 09:05 PM
SoCalDesertRider
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Depends on how high the body lift is. Personally, I don't like body lifts and don't recommend them. I had one on my old Chevy 3/4 ton. Here's some of what had to be changed and the end result.

The lower steering column wore out at the slip joint from not having enough overlap due to the increased length. The yoke bushing ended up tearing out I guess from the increased angle, not sure on that one.
The body sagged and had cracks in the metal all around the plastic lift blocks because the lift blocks didn't fully support the body the way it was intended to be supported and the plastic is not as forgiving as the stock body bushings. The bed floor was wavy, with the high points being the mounting points.
Wiring had to be spliced in a few areas, which I would rather avoid having to do.
The transfer case shifter was really short down by the floor and hard to reach and the hole in the floor had to be cut bigger so it would shift into 4Low and 4Hi, which meant ousting the boot too.
The transmission shift linkage (auto trans) had to be lengthened and once in a while I had trouble with it getting out of adjustment.
There was a clearance issue with the fan and the fan shroud, so it was left off.
Tranny cooler lines were lengthened as were the fuel filler necks.
Had to use 2 different lower radiator hoses spliced together with a piece of exhaust tube to clear, I think it was the fan. For the upper hose I just tried different hoses 'till I found one that would work.
Brake lines going to the master cyl were stretched out and re-bent but didnt have to be replaced with longer ones because the 'coil' in them gave them enough length to reach.
Vaccuum hose for the power booster was replaced with a longer one.
Battery cables were replaced with longer ones.

The truck was not treated gently, which I'm sure contributed to all these problems, but the experience was enough to convince me that I did not want another body lift on a truck again. About the only benefit to it was I was able to run a high rise manifold with a spacer under the carb and very tall air cleaner without cutting a hole in the hood. For all the trouble of the body lift, I would rather have cut a hole in the hood.

Old 03-02-2004, 09:44 PM
bigblack89
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thx all i am planing on doing is like a 2 inch so i have more travel without cutting fenders