Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Modification

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 11:21 AM
alk3myst
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to take an inch off the front of a 96 EB Bronco...hit roof on stock suspension

Never got any good answers the last time other than going to an airbag setup which I am looking into.

The details of the truck are its a stock suspension on 31" tires, however now that the engine is redone with aluminum heads and everything else, it sits higher. Today on an empty tank my father kissed the roof.

This garage was built incorrectly, but it's the only parking option.

I have someone looking into 6 cylinder springs as a possibility, and no one has an airbag setup for this I found (but I know nothing about airbags).

Any advice is appreciated. For those curious on the 408 build up, we are still working out the details....there was a few minor problems and we still want to get a chip/dyno session on it. The thing pulls though, unbelievably.

Å

Old 03-02-2004, 11:39 AM
RTM
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Never done this on a truck but on the older mustangs they cut one coil off of the spring and it will lower the car around 1 inch. If you go this route I would remove a 1/4 of the spring at a time and then check your ride height.

Old 03-02-2004, 12:08 PM
ALSAIR
Elder User
They sell coil spring compressor's and expander's. I have seen them in the auto parts store and in J.C. Whitney catalog. You have the same suspension as a F-150 and I know they sell lowering kits for those that come with new front springs. Find a manufacturer and ask the what size below stock they have and do the sell them seperatly? Check sport truck magazine or something like that for kit's to find a manufacturer.

She Ain't Revved Ti'll The Rods Are Thrown!
Al

Old 03-02-2004, 12:20 PM
alk3myst
Senior User
Originally posted by ALSAIR
They sell coil spring compressor's and expander's. I have seen them in the auto parts store and in J.C. Whitney catalog. You have the same suspension as a F-150 and I know they sell lowering kits for those that come with new front springs. Find a manufacturer and ask the what size below stock they have and do the sell them seperatly? Check sport truck magazine or something like that for kit's to find a manufacturer.
The lowering kits I have seen for the F-150 are all 2WD only, I am not converting to 2WD.

I am having someone search alternative springs (6-cylinder and others).

Thanks

Å

Old 03-02-2004, 12:24 PM
coolcasper
Junior User
My bro has a 70 Mustang in which he cut 1 coil off of the front springs, and it does give you about an inch off.

Old 03-02-2004, 01:09 PM
Destroyer
Junior User
DONT MESS UP YOUR BRONCO, FIX YOUR GARAGE.

Old 03-02-2004, 01:20 PM
alk3myst
Senior User
Originally posted by Destroyer
DONT MESS UP YOUR BRONCO, FIX YOUR GARAGE.
Well it's over 5 stories, I think the estimate came in in the millions to repair it.

Å

Old 03-02-2004, 01:25 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
well the 31's are not the stock tire . you can drop down to a 29 or 30inch tire. this might give you what you need. then you can have a custom set of rear springs made and play around with different front coil options as well.

what minor issues with the motor?

Old 03-02-2004, 01:56 PM
90ebbronc
Elder User
Yeah i would say drop down in tire size. Or u could really do a customization and have a chop top bronco .

Old 03-02-2004, 03:11 PM
alk3myst
Senior User
Originally posted by Kemicalburns
well the 31's are not the stock tire . you can drop down to a 29 or 30inch tire. this might give you what you need. then you can have a custom set of rear springs made and play around with different front coil options as well.

what minor issues with the motor?
There was a slight oil leak at the back of the pan and the rear seal...supposedly alot of aftermarket cranks (this one being a forged Eagle unit) do this...we are looking more into it, the seal has been replaced and there still is a slight leak.

There was a surging and dying out of power....we don't think the fuel pump was upgraded...we think the fix was bumping up the fuel pressure this time. We do have the 40/42 lbs injectors installed though....it's just that the fuel tank nuts look untouched so we have doubts.

There is a loud whistling sound which seems to be coming from the throttle body or internally....I have heard that the MAF does this also, but not ours. We did replace the upper manifold (Edelbrock Performer EFI) gasket and EGR, throttle body and all surrounding sensors....still whistles.

Thanks

Å

Old 03-02-2004, 04:31 PM
fordtruckfan90
Senior User
Originally posted by alk3myst
There was a slight oil leak at the back of the pan and the rear seal...supposedly alot of aftermarket cranks (this one being a forged Eagle unit) do this...we are looking more into it, the seal has been replaced and there still is a slight leak.

There was a surging and dying out of power....we don't think the fuel pump was upgraded...we think the fix was bumping up the fuel pressure this time. We do have the 40/42 lbs injectors installed though....it's just that the fuel tank nuts look untouched so we have doubts.

There is a loud whistling sound which seems to be coming from the throttle body or internally....I have heard that the MAF does this also, but not ours. We did replace the upper manifold (Edelbrock Performer EFI) gasket and EGR, throttle body and all surrounding sensors....still whistles.

Thanks

Å
I highly suggest you replace the tires with 235-75-r15, these are the stock tires for the trucks and broncos for that year, they are about 3inches smaller in OVERALL diameter, so it reduces the ride heighth of about 1.5inches.

Old 03-02-2004, 04:50 PM
alk3myst
Senior User
Well the problem with that is the tires are new and the wheels are 16"....

That was the obvious solution, but we are hoping to do this with the suspension...if possible.

Å

Old 03-02-2004, 05:13 PM
kameronth
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I have cut the coils on many cars. you should have no problem unless you take that engine out and put in a normal one. Going to smaller tires will still make your bronco look funny unless you make the fronts a little smaller. a big waiste of money. If it were me I would just cut em.

Old 03-02-2004, 05:30 PM
alk3myst
Senior User
anyone use those coil 'clamps'...they say two 180 degrees from each other is the same as cutting a coil...the benefit is you dont have to pull the strut and compress the springs off....

I am looking to save myself time as I am going to be slave labor on this

Å

Old 03-02-2004, 06:04 PM
fordtruckfan90
Senior User
so you have a 16inch wheel on a bronco, hmmm, thats not factory, did you replace the gear inside the speed sensor to make up for the bigger tire???

Quick Reply: Suspension Modification