1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

automatic hubs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2001, 11:55 AM
vqarabs
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
automatic hubs?

I just bought a '99 F350 Pwrstroke - 4WD is a switch on dash. I was looking at front hubs - there are locking hubs on it but it was my understanding they were automatic hubs. The hubs say "lock" with an arrow in one direction and "automatic" with an arrow in the other. What is the procedure here?

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-08-2001, 12:58 PM
superdutymjh
Junior User
automatic hubs?

The hubs on your truck are automatic ,they are a vacuum pulse system which with the hub in auto position will engage automatically after the switch on the dash is turned to 4-hi or 4-lo. The lock position is a back-up if the vacuum system is not operating proper.

Old 11-08-2001, 02:39 PM
NoWake
Senior User
automatic hubs?

I also was told that the "LOCK" has to be used if you are already spinning your tires. The 4wheel drive systems needs the truck to role a foot or two before it actually ingages the front hubs. So, if you are in a snow bank or puddle of mud you might need to get out and lock the hubs.

I never needed to actually do this....just what the salesman told me when he delieved my '99 to me. My '01 has manual hubs.

Also a Ford Factory guy also told me to cycle the auto hubs at least once a month. This will keep the vacuum line to the hubs clear.

Rick

Old 11-08-2001, 10:47 PM
SMOTU
Junior User
automatic hubs?

Have had the esof 4x4 on a 1996 Exploder and now on a 2002 F350 SRD 4x4 PSD. You do not need to roll several feet to engage. You have to be stopped, foot on brake, and in neuteral (auto) to place in 4 low. Worked great on the Exploder and expect same on new rig.

Old 11-08-2001, 11:28 PM
brentca2000
New User
automatic hubs?

The facts are:You have automatic hubs,but they need to rotate to engage.More than just a foot or so, believe me, I just found this out in some deep mud. At that time I had to lock the hubs in manually. Was not impressed, because I was told the same line of B.S from a ford dealership. After you've paid them in cash, then they'll tell you the truth. Free advise, put it into 4x4 sooner,or you will have the same pleasure I just had.

Old 11-09-2001, 10:15 AM
scaesare
New User
automatic hubs?

Brentca2000-

I'm afraid I must disgaree with your assessment of what the facts are. While that may be your experience, it is not mine in my '02 F350 PSD CC Longbed w/ ESOF.

I recently had to make a 3 point turn (there is no such thing as a U turn in this rig ;-), and my front tires ended up in a rut at the side of the road. My bed was empty and my rear wheels simply spun while trying to reverse.

With my foot on the brake, I engaged 4WD-High. Being in a rut (and with the brakes applied), my front wheels did not move at all during the engagment process. As soon as I re-applied some throttle, I was out of the rut.. thanks to the fron hubs having locked themselves.

This behavior is as described in the owners manual. I'd suggest your hubs may be misbehaving on you.

-Steve

Old 11-10-2001, 08:15 PM
darth
Junior User
automatic hubs?

That is my experience too, I just got stuck with my rear tires off the pavement and with the limited slip got both to rear tires to spin but no luck, and the front was not moving and inch. I threw the switch and it did the job easily.

I once saw a guy throw his auto 4x4 switch (older S10) and end up over the bank in the snow, only to find out he wasn't in 4 wheel drive due to water (ice) being in the lines. So turning them in monthly may or may not ensure they always work, but it could give you a heads up if something is wrong provided you can feel the front behavior change when 4 wheel is kicked in, or you are attempting to get stuck.

What on earth would actuating it clean out anyway, that doesn't make much sense? I alway do it to lube the moving parts so they don't stick or get gummy over time.

darth (black 99 CCSD V10)

Old 11-11-2001, 01:06 AM
Vaccuum
Senior User
automatic hubs?