1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

PerTronix for my '53 stocker??

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 02:13 PM
True2Blue
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PerTronix for my '53 stocker??

I'm seeking experienced input on a PerTronix Ingitor system for a bone stock '53 flathead, 6-volt positive ground engine. I've looked at the Mallory distributors but prefer to keep things as original and period-true as possible. My old original unit is still in good shape but seems to lack the fire it once had and PerTronix offers drop-in internals even for my 6-volt system. I used the "search" function on this sight and what I read was full of positive responses from others who've installed Ignitors in their vehicles but none had a 6-volt positive ground application. Has anyone had experience, good or bad, with PerTronix and especially with an older 6-volt system. Any and all ideas, thoughts and suggestions are most welcome.

My thanks in advance for your help,

Old 02-24-2004, 06:02 PM
56f600
Senior User
I had a Pertronix in my '56. Worked great for about 2-3 months and then gave up. started missing and sputtering. I went back to original points. If you do use Pertronix make sure your charging system is up to snuff. They are designed to be used with a full 12 (or 6) volts. My generator and regulator failed and were giving me about 10 volts. About that time the Pertronix failed. I would use them again if I hadn't spent all my money and rebuilding my charge system.

Old 02-24-2004, 10:05 PM
Pony Power
Senior User
I've had great success using the Pertronix. My 67 F/B has been running on one for several years without problems and I have one on a Mercrusier motor, it's a 4 banger Chevie. Both are 12 volts but I can't see why you would have problems with the 6 volt as long as it was made for it. Good luck

Old 02-25-2004, 10:34 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey T2B, I have the 6-volt positive ground Pertronix in my stock 55 Fairlane. I installed it 2 years ago and it works great. However, I have developed a problem I think I have traced to my generator/regulator. With the headlights on and the car idleing in park, the engine will die if I step on the brakes. I have recently installed a new voltage regulator and will attempt to crank up the voltage a tad and see if it eliminates the problem. Good luck, John

Old 02-25-2004, 12:47 PM
Pony Power
Senior User
Jag Red 54
You might also check out your generator as often as not a regulator will take out the generator when it goes.
The Pertronix likes strong voltage, you might try checking your coil as they weaken over time. I had to install a new one when I put the set up in my Mercrusier. No more fouled plugs or burned points!
When I changed my mustang setup I also changed over to an alternator but that's 12 volts. I don't know if they make alternators for 6 volts but it sure cured the weak voltage problems inherent with generators.
You should also make sure all of your grounds are good as it doesn't take much to to make the system fluxuate.

Old 04-08-2004, 11:23 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey guys, just an update on my pertronix unit. I was able to adjust the voltage reg from 6.6 to 7.8 volts. Now the pertronix unit doesn't stall at idle with the head and brake lights on. John

Old 04-09-2004, 02:03 PM
jmooremtb
Junior User
I had a difficult time getting the pertronix system to work in my Mustang because of system voltage issues. When I first got my truck I started depending on the guy at the following link
http://www.madelectrical.com/index.shtml
for electrical help. He will talk to you on the phone about your system, help you think things through, make recommendations, etc. His thing is getting healthy voltage everywhere in your system. I am running a pertronix ignition system in the truck now and it is as happy as can be.
Jeff Moore

Old 04-09-2004, 04:46 PM
Pony Power
Senior User
You were fortunate to find someone like that to help you out. There are not a lot of people who work on electrical systems; especially old ones!
When I installed the Pertronics on my mustang I had already switched over to an alternator system so it was a seemless transistion. It sure is nice to be able to forget about points.

Old 04-09-2004, 04:51 PM
Stapler123
Mountain Pass
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Not 6 volt... but I have used them in my f-100, 76 bmw, 73 bmw, and 74 vw with no problems. Then I convinced my granpa do switch to pertronix in All his sand rails and his 60's chevy truck.

Old 04-09-2004, 08:06 PM
ke6bnl
Senior User
Originally Posted by 56f600
I had a Pertronix in my '56. Worked great for about 2-3 months and then gave up. started missing and sputtering. I went back to original points. If you do use Pertronix make sure your charging system is up to snuff. They are designed to be used with a full 12 (or 6) volts. My generator and regulator failed and were giving me about 10 volts. About that time the Pertronix failed. I would use them again if I hadn't spent all my money and rebuilding my charge system.
My ignition switch failed and found the ignition on all night, fried the pertronix well sorta it was sporatic which pertronix people say does not happen but with point back in it has been fine. I do recommend the pertronix II that has a safety feature that will cylce the unit off under these situations. Ed ke6bnl