movie protestors - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

movie protestors

Old 02-24-2004, 12:26 AM
phonebem
Senior User
phonebem is starting off with a positive reputation.
movie protestors

I couldn't help but see a similarity between a certain movie that is set to open this week (we all know what movie it is, there's no need to mention it by name) and a movie I saw several years ago (Dogma). Now I'm not arguing anything about the movie itself, I'm just intending to make a point about the unintended result of the movie protesting.

In the case of Dogma I think I saw one preview in a movie theater and a couple of commercials on TV. The biggest reason I knew about it was because it was by Kevin Smith. I do however know that a lot of religioius groups were outspoken against the movie, thus giving hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of free advertising.

In the case of the new movie I'm seeing the same thing. Excluding the news, I haven't seen a single commercial or preview anywhere. In fact the news coverage is the only reason I know the movie exists. Now I understand the principals behind the protests and I don't want to go into it here (in fact it was done in another thread which was locked so don't even mention the theology), what I don't get is the timing. Instead of creating an artificial, Lord of the Rings-ish pre-release hype, why not wait untill the movie actually premeires? Instead it has been on every newscast for the better part of two months, doing little more than making people want to see it out of curiosity to see what all the fuss is about.

Now I really don't care who plans to see the movie or why some of you may find it so offensive. What I do want to know is, what is the mentallity behind the hype creating protest? I just know one thing, if I didn't want people to see a movie, I sure as heck wouldn't give it that kind of publicity.

Old 02-24-2004, 01:53 AM
fellro86
Post Fiend
fellro86 has much to be proud offellro86 has much to be proud offellro86 has much to be proud offellro86 has much to be proud offellro86 has much to be proud offellro86 has much to be proud offellro86 has much to be proud offellro86 has much to be proud offellro86 has much to be proud of
Some people think if they raise a big stink about things of this nature, or against their own beliefs, that others won't want to be seen going to such, it kinda comes back to being politically correct, but the motivation always backfires as like you say, it makes the general populace MORE interested, not less.

Old 02-24-2004, 06:54 AM
jeffthompson
Elder User
jeffthompson is starting off with a positive reputation.
Do you think the movie producers/ad people might be aware of this effect and taking advantage of it?

Seems to be an old trick, I think at times the movie people might even go so far as to protest their own movies in order to get media attention. (The movie "Colors" comes to mind in the 80's)

Old 02-24-2004, 02:32 PM
jpsartre12
Posting Guru
jpsartre12 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally posted by jeffthompson
Do you think the movie producers/ad people might be aware of this effect and taking advantage of it?

Seems to be an old trick, I think at times the movie people might even go so far as to protest their own movies in order to get media attention. (The movie "Colors" comes to mind in the 80's)
Anybody remember Burn! with Marlon Brando? It was a movie that was basically a blueprint for the creation of an Imperialist Banana Republic. It was so controversial that UA "dumped it" as they say without much fanfare.

http://brando.crosscity.com/HTMLVer/...B/filmod24.asp

Old 02-24-2004, 05:02 PM
sinjin
Posting Guru
sinjin is starting off with a positive reputation.
Maybe they dumped it because it stunk. I saw it again recently.

Old 02-24-2004, 06:28 PM
FordFadgeole
Postmaster
FordFadgeole is starting off with a positive reputation.
In reference to the new movie,I don't know what all the fuss is about.If it offends someone,don't watch it.IMO.

Old 02-24-2004, 07:20 PM
76supercab2
Postmaster
76supercab2 has a good reputation on FTE.76supercab2 has a good reputation on FTE.76supercab2 has a good reputation on FTE.
I'm not sure I can remember any movie that had to resort to this type of publicity (yes I think it is pre-planned hype) that was worth going to. Yes I liked Dogma but it wasn't worth the price of a movie ticket.

Old 02-25-2004, 12:32 PM
Waxy
Postmaster
Waxy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks to the protests, the movie is predicted to have the largest ever opening box office by a land slide.

Waxy

Old 02-25-2004, 01:01 PM
jpsartre12
Posting Guru
Originally posted by Waxy
Thanks to the protests, the movie is predicted to have the largest ever opening box office by a land slide.

Waxy
I don't think it will, though. It was released on a Wednesday at Midnight. Of course, it was Ash Wednesday

Old 02-25-2004, 01:05 PM
Waxy
Postmaster
Waxy is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think they meant opening weekend - ie all sales until Sunday midnight. I believe that's the standard that they work off of, I could be wrong though.

It's also a world wide phenomenon, not only a North American one.

Waxy

Old 02-25-2004, 01:12 PM
billsco
Elder User
billsco is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mel allows only a hand-selected audience to preview the movie, while his father begins spouting anti-semitic garbage. This is after the movie is rejected by every major distributor.

We hear the Pope no less gives it two thumbs up, maybe not, and many conservative talk show hosts begin raving.

Hats off to Mel for pulling it off. You're about to watch a two hour movie that depicts almost in its entirety violence.

Old 02-25-2004, 08:05 PM
jpsartre12
Posting Guru
Originally posted by billsco
........ You're about to watch a two hour movie that depicts almost in its entirety violence.
That's because the real event was mostly an act of violence. There's a reason it was called "The Passion".

Old 02-26-2004, 01:00 PM
78Explorer
Posting Guru
78Explorer has a very good reputation on FTE.78Explorer has a very good reputation on FTE.78Explorer has a very good reputation on FTE.
What amazes me is the fact that everyone is in an uproar about the violence...what about all the other violent movies that come and go without 1/10th the attention this one is getting?

IMHO, people are more afraid that it may strike a chord and have a positive outcome for many.

Regards,
Scott

Old 02-26-2004, 04:49 PM
phonebem
Senior User
phonebem is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally posted by jpsartre12
That's because the real event was mostly an act of violence. There's a reason it was called "The Passion".
the last time I checked there wasn't a non-violent way to depict someone being flogged and crucified.

Old 02-26-2004, 06:50 PM
19felix69
Senior User
19felix69 is starting off with a positive reputation.
by the way i saw opening night brought 20 million dollars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: movie protestors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.