"Check Engine" Light

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 12:16 AM
landfish
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Check Engine" Light

I just bought used (47,500 miles) 1998 4.6 v8 Triton 4x4 F150. Not more that 24 hours later the check engine light came on. the lot I bought it from said they will look into it on Monday (today is Thursday) can it wait? What is possible cause at such low miles? Thanks

Landfish

Old 02-20-2004, 01:13 AM
wmcnally
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
land fish,

There are many reasons a CEL will light. So many it is useless to try to guess. You will be fine til Monday. Don't "beat on it" or do any unnecessary driving.

If you just can't wait, Autozone will read the codes for free. If you get the code post it here ( the actual code not what he tells you it means) and I'm sure someone will help.

Good Luck,

Bill

Old 02-20-2004, 01:24 AM
hood
Senior User
landfish:
Unless the engine is running really rough, you should be good to go until monday. If you can't wait and need to know what your CEL (Check Engine Light) code is, have autozone scan it for free. But don't take their interpetation of it as 100% correct either. They like to sell O2 sensors.

Generally when a CEL is thrown, it is emissions related...engine missfire, running too lean, too rich, maybe the gas cap was not put on tight enough.

Keep us posted on what you find. Good luck.

-hooD

Old 02-20-2004, 10:27 AM
landfish
New User
That sounds consistent with the fact that it passed smog but they could not get all the "smog sensors" to reset due to it sitting, dead battery, on the lot. They attempted the drive test reset for 20 minutes at speed, stop, let it cool, drive again. That reset all but one of the sensors they said. The long drive I took it on and return trip should give it a hot, cold, hot again cycle. Maybe thats what the light is. Thanks for the input on Autozone, had no idea they could run codes.

Landfish