Notices

GPS system

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 12:45 PM
Togaduke
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GPS system

Has anyone put some sort of GPS system in their vehicle? If you did, who made it? How easy was it to install?

Old 02-18-2004, 02:33 AM
SouthernDually
Elder User
Exclamation GPS

Glad to see you post this one. I am currently planning on getting the Alpine system, just because it will interface with my current system. I'll be following along on this one. But I think that I will take the cowards way out and let the pros do the install.

Old 02-18-2004, 07:00 AM
Togaduke
Freshman User
I was looking to install a system that looks like it came factory installed, sort of like the models that are available in the newer automobiles. They have pretty large color screens. I definitely don't want one that you just stick in the cigarette lighter.

Old 02-18-2004, 06:09 PM
victorcharlie
Tuned
A little off topic, I have a garmin etrek legend. It interfaces with my laptop which gives me a 15" color display. Cost is much less than the custom types. When I'm done with it I put it in my pocket and take it in the house.....I can also build my routes on my pc and download them to the GPS in the comfort of my own home. I can use it in the boat, and any vehicle(rental car etc). Or hand carry it. I use it alot when traveling on business. Just something to think about......

Last edited by victorcharlie; 02-18-2004 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:21 PM
christaylor
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was looking at a GPS that was powered by my laptop. It plugs into the USB socket and was only $129. Only downside i see is it only displays on my laptop but i take it everywhere and have a power inverter if the battery dies. What do you all think about that system?

Chris

Old 02-22-2004, 01:52 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by christaylor
I was looking at a GPS that was powered by my laptop. It plugs into the USB socket and was only $129. Only downside i see is it only displays on my laptop but i take it everywhere and have a power inverter if the battery dies. What do you all think about that system?

Chris
If it's the DeLorme GPS receiver & map software, it will work with a PDA also....I have a 1999 Ranger with a fiberglass cap, and I wired it so I can place the GPS receiver in to top of the cap, which is transparent to satellite signals. I can then plug it into my laptop in the cab. It works great!!! When my wife and I travel, we enjoy taking back roads, which we haven't taken before.

Old 02-22-2004, 09:14 PM
christaylor
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use a palm pilot will it also work with these or does it have to be a handheld computer?

Thanks

Chris

Old 02-23-2004, 05:04 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by christaylor
I use a palm pilot will it also work with these or does it have to be a handheld computer?

Thanks

Chris
It will work with a Palm Pilot....check out their URL:

www.delorme.com

Old 02-23-2004, 10:07 PM
SouthernDually
Elder User
Thumbs up Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks to Bob. The laptop version looks really promising. More to follow.