1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Thinking of going Ford this time, why should I?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 11:19 AM
Jfrei
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of going Ford this time, why should I?

Well I was told to try this forum so here is a copy of my other thread.

Well as the title says I am in the market to buy a truck. (1999-03) I'm probaly going to get a 3/4 ton and would like a dsl or even a turbo dsl. I have heard some pretty good things about the ford 7.3 turbo but honestly you guys would know more.

Basicly I am looking for

3/4 ton
dsl
4x4
leather
auto tranny
short box
45,000 miles or less (give or take a little)
4dr (ext cab ok but I would need a 3dr at least)

I really am a newbe not only to this forum but to Fords as well. So I really dont know what Ford has to offer so thats why I need some answers.

I have always been a GM man but I have just been unhappy with the last few GM trucks/SUV's that I have owned. So I am looking at other options out there and basicly find out if the 7.3 dsl is as good as I've heard and the quality of the Ford trucks of the type I'm looking for.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
John
BTW this is one of the trucks I'm looking at.

1999 Ford F-250 4x4 Crew Cab. Western Hauler Package. 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel. Beautiful Truck, with just 67,000 Miles. Crew cab, new tires, new brakes and rotors, Ehaust brake, remote starter, K&N air filter, Superchips power programer. Goose neck and 50 gal aux. tank. Radardetector and Uniden CB. PIAA foglights

Old 02-17-2004, 11:55 AM
jtsmith22
Junior User
I'm sure you'll get a lot of response to your question, but I'll throw my $.02 in. I had all GM trucks until I bought my Ford two years ago, and I'm not sure I'd ever go back. I've had some issues with the truck, but nothing major and nothing that would have cost a lot of money if the warranty weren't still in place.

I got really tired of watching my GM squat everytime I put any amount of load in it, and towing in the mountains was always a frustrating activity. In the past two years I've towed travel trailers and been four wheeling (where this rig will fit) and haven't had any problems to speak of.

I generally think that the problems encountered with a vehicle are often by chance and not a function of the manufacturer, but I've not regretted the purchase at all.

Good luck!

Old 02-17-2004, 01:46 PM
TN Hillbilly
Senior User
Re: Thinking of going Ford this time, why should I?

Originally posted by Jfrei

I have always been a GM man but I have just been unhappy with the last few GM trucks/SUV's that I have owned.
The answer to your question was in your post. I just bought my 7.3 psd a month ago. Have known several people with them that swore by them. I only had to get to a point to be able to afford one.

Old 02-17-2004, 03:00 PM
jamesbfishin
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to own all gm products myself before buying the truck I am in now. One thing that I do not like is the ifs suspension on all the gm trucks, it is by design inherintly weaker, there is nothing stronger than a solid axle with leaf springs. I was never impressed with gm brakes either, they were always way to soft, compact and fullsize trucks alike. My F350 crew cab stops better than my gmc sonoma ever did, and that's a huge weight difference. The thing that I dislike the most about gm trucks especially the newer ones, like the H2 and the new pickups, and the avalanche, THEY ARE UGLY. My truck is damn near bullet proof, runs like it did when it was new, no rattles or sqeaks and it has 120000 miles on it. The 7.3 is very reliable, and starts with out any problems even at 10 degrees. These are just my opinions of course, but I hope it helps.

Old 02-17-2004, 03:06 PM
JMorton
Senior User
My 97 is my first diesel powered vehicle and after owning it, I wouldn't have another gas powered truck again. My brother-in-law is a die hard Chevy man and owns a 99 Silverado dually with the 6.5 diesel. My 97 out pulls it, out runs it, and gets better mileage doing both. He also can't find any aftermarket power products for that engine. He wants to sell it and buy a Stroke since he drove mine but is finding out the hard way that the Chevy doesn't have good re-sale value, and his truck is CLEAN!!
How much are they asking for the '99?? Sounds like a nice truck.

Old 02-17-2004, 03:08 PM
jharvey3
Elder User
I have a friend who drives around town in a 02 DuraMax but when he's pulling his 5th wheel across country he does it with a PowerStroke, say's the PSD will pull circles around the gm.

John

Old 02-17-2004, 03:42 PM
Jfrei
Senior User
Originally posted by JMorton
My 97 is my first diesel powered vehicle and after owning it, I wouldn't have another gas powered truck again. My brother-in-law is a die hard Chevy man and owns a 99 Silverado dually with the 6.5 diesel. My 97 out pulls it, out runs it, and gets better mileage doing both. He also can't find any aftermarket power products for that engine. He wants to sell it and buy a Stroke since he drove mine but is finding out the hard way that the Chevy doesn't have good re-sale value, and his truck is CLEAN!!
How much are they asking for the '99?? Sounds like a nice truck.
I can get it for $16,000

Old 02-17-2004, 03:44 PM
Jfrei
Senior User
Also what kind of MPG are you getting?

Old 02-17-2004, 04:20 PM
JMorton
Senior User
That's a very good price for a '99! If you don't buy it, let me know where it is and I'll buy it.
I average around 15.5 mpg with mine.

Old 02-17-2004, 07:36 PM
diesel-lady
Senior User
I third everything said about the Fords. In my many years of being alive, I've driven Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Datsun, Dodge, and various GM-brand vehicles. I love the imports; Toyota, Nissan, and Honda make the best cars and minivans. In heavy-duty pickups, I've always been the most satisfied with Fords. They just work. I smile a lot when I'm driving one. Chevies are nice, and a good value, you can usually get them cheaper. GM vehicles, in my experience, are shoddy. Bad fit and finish, no durability. Dodges just **** me off. No offense to people who like them, but there was always some stupid thing or other that didn't work right. Maybe I have a jinx.

Buy your Ford. Enjoy.

Old 02-22-2004, 08:14 PM
pawl
New User
I like my 2000 PSD. If Ford would have went with the Cummins engine everyone would drive the Ford.

Old 02-22-2004, 08:31 PM
diesel-lady
Senior User
Originally posted by pawl
I like my 2000 PSD. If Ford would have went with the Cummins engine everyone would drive the Ford.
Not me! If I drive something that sounds like a gravel crusher, it better be a gravel crusher.

Old 02-24-2004, 02:12 PM
IowaF250
Freshman User
Jfrei;

All I can say is you will not be disappointed. I just bought a 99, ¾ ton, extended cab, short box, PSD, this is a 4 door. I have only put about 2500 miles on my new pickup
but I will tell you, you will love the way it handles, drives, and most important the power.
I used to have Chevy’s for about 15 years now & this is the 2nd Ford I bought, the first was an 88. I had is for about 16 months and got rid of it, now after driving this Ford,
I will not go back to Chevy’s. The only thing I can find lacking with this pickup is the
turning radius. That’s it. Chevy does turn tighter, but my pickup is better every place else.
I have never looked down other makes of trucks, but I will say Ford hit a homerun when they made the F-250 SC PSD.
My wife even thinks the seats a more comfortable then the 99 Z71, she also thinks this drives better. That is just what she told me.
Hope this helps you out.
Cheers

Old 02-24-2004, 07:52 PM
ROK31_99PSD
Freshman User
Never was a Ford kinda guy til I got a chance to drive a PSD. I have only owned mine truck for 5 days and I would sleep in the thing if my wife wouldn't leave me. This is the most sound investment I have ever made. I am only half-way through the first tank of fuel and wonder how I could have waited so long to become enlightened. The truck just pulls incrediblely even until cruising speed is reached. I cannot say enough about these trucks.

Old 02-26-2004, 08:26 AM
cangim
Postmaster
Live in Idaho, bought mine a little over a year ago, just about the same truck as yours, other than the box. Love it, paid 24 for mine a year ago, still books for about the same amount. the 16 is a great price, don't let it pass you up...

Oh yeah, two of my buds both have the cummins extended cab, they both now tell me when stock goes up, they are going to get a F350 CC. The space in the CC is unbelievable, awsome for starting families. I have never cared for the Dodge ride, even loaded it seems rough. The GM models, well.... Lets just say that I PERSONALLY will always go FORD. Don't regret it one bit.