1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Driver Door Rubbing/Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 10:42 AM
alphascrew
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver Door Rubbing/Noise

Hey Everyone,

I have a 2003 Expedition I bought for my wife in 10/03.

It's going in tomorrow to get all 4 brakes redone with the new pads to fix the awful brake dust tomorrow morning.

It is also going back for an annoying rubbing noise/squeak on the driver door.

So far they have replaced the window run, body seal, latch, then finally I took them for a ride and showed them that when I apply pressure on the top of door while I'm driving the noise stops.

So with that they re aligned the door. He told me that they moved the door 1/16" of an inch. The noise went away for about 3 weeks and then it gradually came back.

Now, I will ask them to look a it again tomorrow, but I'm getting concerned that the door won't stay aligned.

Any thoughts or has anyone experienced this.

Thanks

Old 02-15-2004, 11:24 AM
ExpyBob
Senior User
I have a 2004 with the same thing. The door is perfectly aligned with the rest of the body so I am hesitant to have it messed with.

If you notice the harder plastic gasket that runs on the outside of the soft inner one has rub marks on it. When you drive and stick your finger tips in the top crack of the door on the inside you will feel it move.

I put a light coating of silicon grease on both gaskets on the top and windshield side of the gasket and it's never come back. That was about 2 months ago.

Hope this helps--Bob

Old 02-15-2004, 06:03 PM
Vernon_04_Expy
Senior User
Same problem, they've also replaced the window ruun on mine, it sounds more like the window rattles (it rattling between hard rubber). No joy, have not had time to bring it back. I might try the silicon solution though.

Old 02-15-2004, 06:04 PM
alphascrew
Freshman User
EXCELLENT FIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did exactly what you mentioned..except I used wd-40..I sprayed a little on a rag and wiped the outside of the rubber and plastic seal and also the inside of the seal...

Worked perfect!!!

Noise is gone..I should have posted this months ago!!

Thank you very much!

Old 02-15-2004, 08:35 PM
ExpyBob
Senior User
Hey Alpha

I did the WD40 too. It will work for a little bit but the car wash will bring it back.

That's what gave me the silicon idea.

The silicon seems to get into the rubber and stay there.

Also the silicon is not petroleum based so it won't attack the rubber.

I paid $6+ for a big tube. It will last a lifetime.

I'm glad I could help with such an ANNOYING problem.

Now, what about the squeek in the right front dash only when you hit a certain kind of bump?

Enjoy--Bob

Old 02-16-2004, 05:32 PM
bk1120
New User
Hey all-
I'm having similar troubles with my 03 Expedition. There is an annoying "rattle"--almost like a loose screw rolling around--that sounds like it is coming from the driver's side door, B-pillar, or LH rear door. Just picked it up from the dealer and they checked everything in the pillar plus tightened the roof rack but the rattle is still there. When I got home I was so frustrated I shook the LH rear door and sure enough, there's the rattle. I guess there might be a loose piece of plastic or a screw inside the door.

As for the squeek on the passenger side up front, try pushing gently on your airbag cover. When it's cold outside, the thing squeeks like crazy. Once it warms up, the squeek goes away. I'd like to hear if any of you can confirm this.

Thanks,
Kevin

Old 02-16-2004, 05:47 PM
smays
Freshman User
bk,

I have the same rattle you are talking about. It is extremely frustrating. I have had the inside door paneling off two times for both the front and rear - no luck finding the rattle.

I did notice that the inside door latch will rattle some when I put the inside molding back on the door, but I can't get it to do it when I pull everything off and look at it directly.

Keep me posted if you find the source.

Old 02-19-2004, 12:33 PM
Vernon_04_Expy
Senior User
Originally posted by ExpyBob
I
If you notice the harder plastic gasket that runs on the outside of the soft inner one has rub marks on it. When you drive and stick your finger tips in the top crack of the door on the inside you will feel it move.

Hope this helps--Bob
ExpyBob,

I'm having the same problems, and trying so hard to picture where exactly I need to put the silicon. I see there is a hard seal and soft at the top, and basically when the door shuts it fits in between these two seals, is that where you put the silicon? Hell I'll just put silicon on what ever I think it might be. The noise is killing me

Help!!!

Old 02-19-2004, 12:45 PM
Vernon_04_Expy
Senior User
Oh yea ExpyBob,

You know we need to know the brand of silicon you used, and from where.

Thanks again

Old 02-19-2004, 07:08 PM
ExpyBob
Senior User
Only put the silicon on the gaskets themselves. I put a thin finger wiping coat on the door for good luck but the gaskets will absorb most of it when applied on them.

There is an inner and outer gasket on the top of the doors, do both.

It really does work. I did it 3 months ago, went thru plenty of car washes where they wipe the door jams and it's still quiet.

I did both front doors. No noise---period.

Bob

Old 02-19-2004, 07:15 PM
rebel_gtc
Senior User
HI ExpyBob maybe you could post some pictures on where to apply the silicon thanks.

Old 02-19-2004, 07:40 PM
daveplot
Elder User
Vernon,

That sounds like my EXACT problem.

I just came back in from greasing everything...I'll see what happens tomorrow when I go out.

Old 02-20-2004, 12:34 AM
Vernon_04_Expy
Senior User
ExpyBob,

Brand name for the silicon you're using would be great. I plan on purchasing some tomorrow, and if you remember where you purchased it from. I looked up silicon grease on the Home Depot site and didn't know what the hell exactly I should be getting. Definitely wouldn't want to screw up the seals

Daveplot, I hope the silicon works out for you, that would be three success stories for the door rattle. And I hope to add mine to that , then only one more issue to tackle for me.... Yep you guessed it the "BRAKE DUST ISSUE" It seems everyone is getting it done under warranty now!!!!!

Old 02-20-2004, 01:32 PM
ExpyBob
Senior User
I bought it at a car parts place.

It's made by Versa-Chem, It's called Dielectric Connector Grease.

100% Silicone.

Any silicon grease will work.

A 3 ounce tube was $6+. They did have a smaller tube but it was much more expensive by weight. Besides this size will last the life of the truck and may come in handy for other things.

Hope this helps---Bob

Old 02-20-2004, 01:58 PM
daveplot
Elder User
I put some of the Dielectric grease from PepBoys on my door seal...haven't heard the rattle yet...but the rattle was mainly when it's cold...and it's around 60 deg. here now.

I'll see what it does tonight and when it gets colder.

Quick Reply: Driver Door Rubbing/Noise