Help, blow by possibility...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 03:10 PM
mcleanmi
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This has been an interesting thread, not for the mechanical content but for the social dynamics. If I can add a comment without being too offensive I would like posters to take the time to spell words, be thoughtful enough to use the shift key, and use punctuation. It makes the posts easier to read and avoid misunderstandings. I know that optikul is trying to make a point but its just hard to read. I do get a kick out of the computer abreviations, it just takes a while to figure them out. Hope this dosen't come across as too uppity.

Old 02-19-2004, 05:33 PM
ftwfred
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello mcleanmi,
I hope you are not picking on me. I was looking over this thread seeing if I made any mistakes..

""my truck had just about 85K when i did the cam swap and was in tip top shape.""

And 6 posts down,
""(truck wasnt in the best shape when i purchased it)"".

I am confused.

ftwfred

Old 02-19-2004, 09:31 PM
mcleanmi
New User
No, not really picking on anyone. Just was having a difficult day at the office. I was reading the posts, looking for some info, found this thread and had to comment. Nothing personal. BTW, I an having an engine change. I have a 61 F250. The engine was leaking a bit of oil and was a bit underpowered. I decided to upgrade to a 300. Of course, I just couldn't go stock so I'm doing some mild upgrades (ho ho ho). Sort of following the clifford recommendations. Also adding a C6 transmission. The forum has been a lot of help and I got a little upset to see a poor use of it. As I said it was a busy day.

Old 02-20-2004, 01:37 AM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
blah, im not even gunna pay attention to this thread anymore.

Old 02-21-2004, 01:47 AM
hood
Senior User
optikal illushun:

My 81 started with blow-by at around the 90,000 mile mark. I now have over 210,000 miles on it. I'm the original owner and have done oil changes faithfully every 3,000 miles for the last 23 years.

The cold weather causes moisture that is blown-by to condensate on the oil breather cap. This gives you the creamy, oily residue. Once the weather warms up, that problem goes away. You will still have blow-by but not the condensation problem.

I clean my oil cap once a week in the winter weather by shaking out the moisture/goop and rinse the cap out with some carb spray.

Good luck, man. We all need our transportation.
-hooD

Old 02-21-2004, 01:54 AM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow, that is my exact problem and when its below freezing u can see an icy mixture on the inner fender. thanx for the info man, much appreciated...

FTWfred, i meant the truck itself wasnt in good condition but the motor was.

mcleanmi, i understand where ur coming from but its the internet and the slang will be everywhere u go. i try to do my best with grammer and punucation...but i assume everyone can decide ur is your, etc...

Old 02-21-2004, 09:46 AM
bremen242
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
optikal-

These guys are being a bit harsh, but the facts are there:

You dunked your motor while 4 wheeling and got water in it.
You ran it for a while without changing the oil.
It costs $9 to change oil&filter (yes, you can get 6 quarts of oil for $6, and a filter for $3)
When you run a motor with water in the compression chambers, you bend or break stuff. Normally, the rings, but sometimes the rod or piston.
And the last thing: You have to pay to play. It you can't afford to wheel your daily driver (ie replace broken parts or be able to not drive until you have it fixed), you shouldn't.

Right now, you have blow by, probably because you cracked a ring(s). Heavier oil will help your bottom end, which was probably damaged when you were running it with water in the oil, but it will do little to stop the blow by. The more you run your motor in this condition, the more damage the cracked ring will scrape the cylinder wall.

Basically, you need a reman motor, or to totally rebuild the one you have.