Vortech VQ2 support?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 10:49 AM
SkinnyNate
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vortech SQ2 support?

Hello,
I have installed a SQ2 on my 4.2 and am now looking to open it up. What headers would you guys suggest?

I'm looking at MAC right now. Also I'm not sure if I want to go with dual exhaust or stay with single. I'm going to dump it either way. I dont want to open it up to much and lose low end torque.

I would also like to get a CAM and a chip to take full advantage of the charger. I called Diablo about a year or so ago and found out that they made a chip for 2 of 3 of the computers that came with our trucks. I have the unlucky #3. Do you know if they have fixed this yet?

Also if anyone has any dyno results after installing the VQ2. I would be intrested in the numbers. I have not been able to do one yet.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by SkinnyNate; 02-13-2004 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-13-2004, 02:32 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
SkinnyNate:

All of the above would be a great idea! MAC headers are probably going to be the cheapest and best route. The only other option are JBA headers which are a nice set of headers, but they are like $200 more for the same power. From what I hear, headers are the best way to open up flow with a supercharger. From there I would get either a magnaflow, flowmaster, or gibson cat back. That would really free up the extra hp's.

As far as the Diablo chip, I would definately call motorhaven and get Ken on the phone. He seems to be able to program for almost anything on wheels! It's good to have you hear man, although I'm jealous of your supercharger!

Old 02-13-2004, 03:27 PM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
You can also check out the "other site" (email me for the link) to get an idea about cams. I am going to install my SCshortly, and have it dynoed. After I get the graphs online, I will let you know Nate. Anyhow, Welcome to FTE if no one was said so before. Also, I am helping to configure an intercooler for the vortech with Crash at got-pressure.com

Garrett

Old 02-13-2004, 04:24 PM
SkinnyNate
New User
Sweet!
thanks guys

I'm in the middle of engineering a new "Very" long travel front and rear suspension. So that will keep me sane while I wait for my MAC headers to get here! lol

Old 02-13-2004, 05:23 PM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
LoL. I have the JBAs, and I cant complain...Where did you get your SC kit from? Also, how much boost are you running? Ever hit the 1/4 mile? Did you install yourself?

Garrett

Old 02-13-2004, 07:03 PM
SkinnyNate
New User
I got mine from need-4-speed.com
It supposedly gives 8 to 10 lbs. I have yet to buy a boost gage. (Yet another thing on my never ending list) So I have not checked it myself. Yes I did the install my self. One of my stock fuel lines was a @%$# to get apart but other than that It wasn't bad.

I went down to Darlington SC to visit a friend and thought I'd run the 1/4mile there but they were closed. I was pretty bumed. I don't know if there is a strip here in VA or not. I just got stationed here from Cali a few weeks ago.

Are you installing the same SC?

Last edited by SkinnyNate; 02-13-2004 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:11 AM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
Yeah I am, and I think this weekend. I gotta make sure I can get a ride to work thursday though. If so, all is a go. I have a boost gauge bought, not installed though. I need to check out what code tripped though..Kinda bitter about the whole service engine soon light. It ticks me off....any pointers on the install? How long did it take you? Got any pics?

Garrett

Old 02-16-2004, 06:41 PM
SkinnyNate
New User
Who did you buy it through?

It wasn't to bad, or I sould say wouldn't have been. If I had all of the parts. The kit was pretty good but they forgot to put a coulpe little things in it. As you probably know, right in the middle of a job is not the time to realize you are missing something. The best tip I could give you is read the directions and check to make sure you have EVERY little part. I did this but I ended up missing a few things too. (SO I guess I can't blame them to much lol). I was missing a couple hose clamps, 2 vacume tee's....

The biggest thing that mite be wrong with yours too. Is there is suppost to be a hole in the Plastic elbow with a gromit, for the Air temp sens. It was not there at all. So I had to find a gromit that would work from a good hardware store and drill my own hole. (The good thing is you can put it where ever you want lol) Make sure you "reclock" the charger and move the oil dran to the proper hole. (none of the plugs are very tight so make sure they all are before install) Agian, after you get the SC completly bolted in, is not the best time to realize the dran hose is crimped.

Oh yeah! drilling and tapping your oil pan is not fun either! Its realy not bad. Just go SLOW and easy to minimize the amount of metal getting in to the oil pan. ( use a heavy grease on the tap for the same reason). Obviously wait untill after this step to change your oil.

Thats about all I can think of right now. Hope it helps!

Sorry, No pics I wanted to. But I was tring to get it in 2 days before I had to tow a 4,500lb tralier across the country with it. So I was a little pressed for time to say the least! lol.

Let me know how it goes. All said and done I like it alot!

Well, Let me know how it goes.
Good luck! and have FUN!

Old 02-16-2004, 11:54 PM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
Thanks man, good info there!! I heard the oil pan would be a pain, especially if you didnt take your time. That sucks they didnt include all the parts and pieces. I bought my kit via Derek from Trixters Racing in Dallas. He is giving me 100% install phone and message board service, LoL. Where did you find the correct tap for the oil pan? I hope I can get everything together for this weekend. I just got the check engine light on, and its buggin the crap out of me. No one knows the code!!

Garrett

PS where did you get your kit from?

Old 02-17-2004, 06:48 PM
SkinnyNate
New User
I got my tap at a hardware store. Remember to get the "pluming type tap" it it taperd so that the farther you tap it the bigger the hole getts. The fittings in the kit are that way too. So that they will make a good seal without any kind of gaskit.

I got my kit from need-4-speed.com they took a little over two months to get it to me after they had my money. And they were hard to get a hold of to boot. So I wasn't to happy. But they said it was due to there supplier. who knows right! lol. Anyway its on now and its sweet!

I just called MAC and orderd a pair of headers. I got lucky, they had just recived them in. So I'll have them in 4 to 5 days! (YES)

Sorry about your CEL that sucks. Is the truck still running right? You have no idea what it came on for?

Old 02-17-2004, 07:23 PM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
I dunno...I just got back and theres a code, could be a number of things...leak from the MAF to TB, loose oil dipstick...whole lotta crap, lol.

garrett