Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Straight pipes

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 09:46 PM
F0rdF0rever
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Straight pipes

Two days ago I removed the muffler from my exhaust and replaced in with 4" stainless which exits behind the back door. Other than the whistling noise im assuming comes from the turbo I am pleased with the results. Does this bother anyone else? I think im going to install a muffler to take care of the whistling. Need some suggestions. I need something that will fit onto the 4 inch ID pipe and something fairly inexpensive, ive already spent more than I wanted to on the exhaust. Will I loose much of the gained power by adding a performance muffler?

Thanks
Steve

Old 02-12-2004, 09:50 PM
f350xlt460
Elder User
i bought a 4" kit (turbo back) and it had a muffler. I have replaced it with straight pipe and plan to keep it a straight pipe exhaust. In otherwords, i have a new 4" muffler that im not using...
If you dont want to mess with muffler, make it exit behind the rear wheels. I tried to make my exhaust exit in front of wheels, and it was a bit louder in the cab. But once i did it the way i really wanted it, (straight pipe turbo back exiting behind wheel) it is no louder in the cab then the exhaust with the 4" muffler.
On the outside however, is a very different story

Old 02-12-2004, 09:52 PM
bender97f250
Senior User
The whistle you hear is the turbo spooling up quicker because the exhaust is less restrictive. If you add a muffler, purchase a high flow performance type you should not lose any hp. Some people run their exhaust straight piped like you have. Depends on your preference.

Old 02-13-2004, 04:48 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
I've had my exhaust set up every possible way. I've had a stock system without a muffler, a 4" system without a muffler, a 4" straight pipe, and back to a 4" system with a muffler. Maybe I'm just getting old, but the fluttering sound gets old after a while. You don't hear it as badly with a muffler on, so I always go back to adding a muffler. If the muffler you use is a straight through design, you likely won't lose enough hp to even notice.

Old 02-13-2004, 07:42 AM
rmilchman
Elder User
I remember a thread, where if you want to get rid of the flutter have the tip point down to the road instead of parrallel to it.