6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

should I buy a 2004 F250 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 06:46 PM
JohnF250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tn mac: did you dealer tell you to expect a certain mpg? If so, what did the dealer promise?

If I should be getting much higher, then hell yes, I want to get higher and I'll raise some crap with Ford. I don't have anything to stink about, because my dealer told me before I bought the truck the mpg that I'm getting now.

If I were you, using my truck for work etc, then I understandably would be as ticked as you are. I don't use mine for work.. just a to b and towing my boat.

Old 02-16-2004, 07:04 PM
tn mac
Posting Guru
fohnf250 the dealers were all saying 10% better than 7.3 and most people were getting 14 to 17 all around driving and 20 to 24 hwy empty. I did get a little better then those number with my truck but had some mods. on it. thought it would do at least as good as 7.3 not 30% worse. of course you know they will not promise any certain mpg on 3/4 ton or 1 ton but there own press release says 10% better then 7.3.

Old 02-16-2004, 07:19 PM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
I'm beginning to think most of these whiners are chevy and dodge owners that are spoofing this site. The service department is empty and the service writer I know has not had any exceptional problems.

Old 02-16-2004, 07:20 PM
tn mac
Posting Guru
johnf250
just looked at your gallery never thought to ask if you had truck lifted my falt , that is not to bad for lifted truck and bigger tires. sorry didnt nean to get you riled up. btw your truck looks good, is that edge lift , new springs or is it hangers.

Old 02-16-2004, 07:23 PM
JohnF250
Senior User
tn mac: Well, I take mine in for service tomorrow morning. I'll mention my mileage and post back the dealers position. I'll bring up your comments about being better than the 7.3.

Has anyone tried the perfomance tuners? I understand they have some adjustment for mileage.. like, less performance > mpg etc. I'll start a new thread with the ques.

Old 02-16-2004, 07:34 PM
tn mac
Posting Guru
why is it that your a whiner if your having problems and the ford dealers cant figure it out. would you be happy if you got 6.2 mpg pulling your work trailer, when the 7.3 you had before got 15 mpg pulling the same trailer the same places with the same weight.

Old 02-16-2004, 08:40 PM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
TN MAC I've spent the same 40K on a truck that you have. I've owned at least as many of similar Fords. I've owned enough dodges and Chevys that I've learned better by now. I'll be darned if I would settle for 6.2 MPG. There are Plenty of diesel shops around that know how to work on this engine since it's in millions of bread trucks, UPS Vans...in international form. I'll bet you can get it fixed for a price and sue the dealer for the $500 bucks.
This is one of the most simple engines you have ever seen. It has fixed pistons, crank, valves, camshaft that repeat identical every revolution,...no variable cam or timing mechanism.

It has 4 actuators, 2 computer modules and 1 glow plug system.

It and a variable vane turbo that controls air intake and exhaust with the EGR valve.

It has a slick modular fuel injection system powered by a enclosed high (4000 PSI)oil pressure oil system that is used for this only.

13 sensors pick up on what is going on and keep the PCM(module) informed

The problem probably is this system is out of a lot of the techs league.

Download the manual on this web site and learn this engine. I stashed mine above the toilet paper and was an expert in a week! Wow! Knowledge IS POWER!

You really can take control of your own destiny. I will if I need to because I have before. I need my truck and I refuse to be run in circles.

after Texas Tech I did an internship in the Roadway Express Garage. International engines are the toughest engines built. We need to help Ford with the electronics.

Those Dodges that the owners say are so quiet? After 20K miles the bodies rattle so bad you can't hear the engine run!

I've started signing Ford Beta Tester XXX

Old 02-17-2004, 06:38 AM
jvalich
Freshman User
Bob:

What manual and where?...very interested!

Old 02-17-2004, 05:54 PM
hunt20001
Freshman User
I read most of these posts some of you must be smoking some wierd stuff! 6.0 owners that have had problems are real why did ford buy so many back ? I lemon lawed mine after a list of problems that would drive anyone nuts including new engine. A city in CO had all there 6.0 bought back as did one in FL. Yes there are good 6.0 I'm sure they out number the bad but not by enough. Ford has taken away PI and Trans braking in lastest 03 6.0 flashes and they are going to remove Pi in upcoming flash for the 04 engine. Doesnt sound like bs started by gm or dodge owners. If you think I'm a troll email me I'll give you my truck that was Lemon lawed vin # . When thinking of purchasing a 6.0 you have to ask yourself one question DO YOU FEEL LUCKY well do you? I don't remember 7.3 rebates I didn't get any when I purchased my 2000 7.3 . I travel around alot most people have heard of 6.0 problems heard about it in AB Canada WY FL SD ND MT NY NJ PA VT NH MA CT OH I stop to talk to everyone with a 6.0 I'll even wait a few min. in a parking lot (drives wife nuts) to get a feeling for whats going on with them. I would love to purchase a new SD but I dont feel lucky as with vegas the odds are not good. Shamefull part is ford screw up with the software and a good engine gets the blame. Now there to the point of taking away features that were purchased to try and make it better.

Old 02-17-2004, 07:15 PM
bikenbob
Senior User
JohnF250 did they recalabrate your speedo when you put your lift on? I have the same truck, lift, and wheel size and my speedo if off by 8-10 mph with a GPS. Using the current settings I get 13 around town and 17 hwy. these numbers should increase when the speedo is re-calbrated. Also, where does Ford post MPG ratings for 3/4 ton or higher trucks? I have the dealer sticker and brochere and it is not there?

Old 02-17-2004, 07:28 PM
JohnF250
Senior User
I have not had my speedo recalibrated.. it's off about 10%.. so, 70mph on the speedo is 77 etc. I get approx the same mileage as you. I've read in this thread where manufacturers don't rate 3/4 or 1 ton trucks. I suppose there's a good reason for that :-) I went by what my dealer told me I would get mpg-wize, and it's been fairly accurate. I'd love to hear from someone who's used the predator tuner to get better mpg.

Old 02-17-2004, 07:32 PM
tn mac
Posting Guru
HUNT20001
thanks for speaking up these guys that are in denial or ? are giving the impression that there is nothing to worry about. I just dont want any one else to go through what I am going through. If more people would call ford and complain or just quite buying there trucks that might force them to fix the problems instead of using us for R&D .

Old 02-17-2004, 07:42 PM
JohnF250
Senior User
Oh boy. There's no denial. I happen to be happy with my truck. If you are unhappy, call Ford, get your lemon law deal going, and head to dodge-trucks.com/forums or chevy-trucks.com/forums and start whining there.

Old 02-17-2004, 08:28 PM
tn mac
Posting Guru
johnf250
that may be what I have to do, because the ford guys cant fix the truck. I just hope you dont have any problems with your truck and become a whiners. If I wouldnt loose so much money on the lemmon law, buy back it would already be gone. and again I dont consider it whining to discuss you problems and express your concern for other that might have the same problems with there trucks. I wish I could have got one of the good ones .And if I did I would not call people with problems whiners.

Old 02-17-2004, 09:02 PM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
No one is denying that some are having problems. It is just that on a unrestricted web page no one really knows what is true. There are lots of lonely people with nothing to amuse them that spend hours on message boards living their imaginary life. There are lots of dumb dodge owners P.O.ed because they got smoked that are on this message board trying to discourage Ford PSD owners.
There are hundreds of thousands of these trucks sold. The numbers alone indicate that there are bound to be Thousands of trucks with problems. I personally know of more new Chevy trucks in the shop now with warranty work than PSDs (actually -0- on the PSD).
Think about it. If there are 10,000 failures of every sort, it would not be many. Count the failures on this message board. There are less than 100 that complain loudly over and over again (as they should)
The point is that we should keep this in perspective. Don't panic and bail out of your truck from a fear of a failure that probably will never happen. Enjoy your truck. They are great! They will get even better as Ford gets a handle on the software problem.

Quick Reply: should I buy a 2004 F250 Diesel