Sponsored by: DP Tuner

need advice= propaine

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 04:13 PM
shendoa
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need advice= propaine

You guys that are running propane, how does that work? do you also run diesel fuel at same time? or is it like a fork lift propaine or gas or diesel? I hear propaine gives one power when needed up hills, but does one run diesel> same injectors ? how does the propaine get into cylinders?

Old 02-07-2004, 05:21 PM
BigBully
Senior User
Propane is Used with the Diesel fuel. Its acts as a catylist to make a more complete Burn of the Diesel fuel thus makeing more Power, LOTS more power. It is fed into the intake side via a hose and runs through the Turbo into the cylinders. The PS2000 IMHO is the only way to go. Its a Vapor System and Dont need heater Hose connections or a mixer. Conservitive Adjustment will Yield around 80HP to the Ground.

Old 02-07-2004, 05:31 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Propane is an auxilliary fuel. You burn it in conjunction with diesel fuel. I've got the Powershot2000 system, so I can't say that everything I tell you will be true for the other systems available, because I've never had another brand.
On my system, I have a 10 gallon tank mounted under the bed of the truck, you can see it here.
There's a solenoid mounted on the tank, here, that activates the system, and is controlled by a switch in the cab. The tank is plumbed with vapor line to a control module under the hood, here. The yellow hose coming into the right side of the module is the supply line. The black one exiting the module on the left side is the line to the intake, where the propane vapor is bled into the intake airstream.
The control module is adjustable, so I can set the boost level when the propane begins to flow, and also the rate of flow.
In use, when the switch is turned on in the cab, the line from the tank to the control module is pressurized, but no propane flows from the module to the intake until the boost level is reached. Once that happens, as my boost increases, so does the flow of propane. Once the boost level drops below the threshold, the propane flow is cut off. The increase in power is huge, with approximately 100 additional rear wheel horsepower, on top of what the other mods do.
Does that answer your questions?
If not, I'll take another shot at it.

In edit: Either you type fast, Rocky, or I type slow. You beat me to it!!

Old 02-07-2004, 06:31 PM
jamesbfishin
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anybody run the system that BullyDog builds, and what would be any drawbacks to adding a nitrous system in conjunction with the propane? Thanks

Old 02-07-2004, 10:07 PM
shendoa
Senior User
I realy appreciate your reply, i am going to install the propaine as soon as it starts warming up= hopefully in april. how much does the whole setup cost? the powershot 2000, ? I will be installing it myself, kind of slow though 62 years old. but i am a good mechanic and retiered machinist tool maker engineer. with the help of you guys i think all is possible. Quadzilla do you mind my emailing you in april, maybe talk to you on yahoo messenger if i have a problem. oh don't know if i suppose to ask that on this bord? = if i not suppose to do that please advise me. thank you shendoa.

Old 02-07-2004, 11:05 PM
shendoa
Senior User
well i found the price 649. without tank = tank is 300. aprox guess that not bad. wonder if one could use single tanks like one can buy at wallmart? but that only has one hose connection on it. I could always trade empty for full one, any ideas will that work. problem with a permently mounted tank is up here no place to fill them. hope i can use those 10 OR 20 pound vertical bottles from wallmart.?????????

Old 02-08-2004, 12:57 AM
BigBully
Senior User
Yes you can use the 20 lb bottles But it will require 2 hooked up togather. Let them know when you order the PS2000 that you are going to use BBQ bottles. I have About $800 in mine But I got a dealer Discount and that was a couple years ago. If you look Here You can see some pics of my Install.

Oh the reason You have to have 2 Bottles is Because the New style LEGAL Valve wont flow enough with just one.

On Edit I just seen you have a camper Shell. You Can NOT run the Bottles in the back of the truck with a cap on (Legaly)

Old 02-08-2004, 05:28 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Shendoa-
You can feel free to contact me whenever you want to, though I'm not allowed to post me email address. I can post my cell number, though: 253-315-1222. By the way, BigBully is a dealer of the Powershot2000, but he can't say so, because he's not a vendor on this site. I didn't buy mine from him, because he's the regional dealer in Colorado, and I've got a regional dealer in Washington where I live. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with him though. He's a real straight shooter, and I've had other business dealings with him.
Including my tank, and all the installation hardware, I'm into my system about $1000, and I wouldn't hesitate for a second to do it again.

Old 02-08-2004, 08:10 AM
shendoa
Senior User
Quadzilla, Thank you, if i have a problem i will call you, found the instructions on line , It don't look too bad, thanks again,
shendoa.

Old 02-08-2004, 09:26 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
I've got some other resources too, if you need them. Let me know.

Old 02-08-2004, 05:17 PM
shendoa
Senior User
can one turn the ps2000 on or off manually from inside the cab when driving down the road ?

Old 02-08-2004, 07:35 PM
BigBully
Senior User
Yep Infact you have to turn it on Every time the ignition has been turn off.

Old 02-09-2004, 07:38 AM
shendoa
Senior User
ok thanks, think i understand now= now just have to buy one when i get some money/yenom= shendoa.

Old 02-09-2004, 08:09 AM
JMorton
Senior User
I've been considering doing this too. How safe is it for the engine?? How long have you guys been running it?? Would it be ok to put on a higher mileage engine?? I have 153,000 miles but the truck has been very well kept and runs strong.

Old 02-09-2004, 08:32 AM
shendoa
Senior User
J morton , when you get done installing your intercooler, let me know how much troble you ran into? I want to do the same thing.

Quick Reply: need advice= propaine