General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

I need a new computer

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 05:02 PM
clava
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need a new computer

My old computer is a 466 mg, P2. It's 4 years old and I want a new one.
What kind should I get? Emachine, HP, Compaq, Dell, Gateway?

What kind of experience have you guys had with these brands?
I heard yesterday that Gateway has bought Emachines.

Walmart has a deal on a HP or Compaq for $498.00.
Intel celeron 2.6g, 17" monitor, 128mg. and more.

Office Depot has an Emachines outfit for $346.00 after rebates.
I want to stay below $550.00. I know,I know I'm cheap-you are too,right!

You folks have opinions. Let's hear them. Please.

Clava1

1995 Ford F-150 4x4 351W E4od Blue and White Ext cab
183,000 miles

Have you driven a Ford lately?

Old 02-03-2004, 05:05 PM
parks911
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why not just update your current computer?

Everything you get in a new computer can be installed on your current one & I'm sure it may be cheaper.

Old 02-03-2004, 05:08 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I suggest : Have one built for you at a local business.

1) That way Service is close enough to drive or ride the bus to.

2) Made with the components you want

3) The price will be comparable to Big Box Stores

4) You will be supporting a local business make sure first that this company will still be around in 5 years.)

Old 02-03-2004, 06:07 PM
2Bowers
Posting Guru
I was eyeballing that HP at WalMart too, it has everything I had to buy separately for mine at half the price. Just remember you'll have to go in and delete all the useless garbage they preinstall for you.

Having one custom-built for you is a good idea. If there is one of those computer expos coming near you (we have them every few months) that's a good place to meet your local vendors and make contacts. Plus peripherals and software are a lot cheaper.

Old 02-03-2004, 06:09 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just replaced my old Gateway at home with another. Tried to buy from a local computer company, but their unit was TWICE Gateway's price. I'll spend a little more to deal locally, but not double. The new one is their 310 with celeron, 256K/ 64 meg, Windows XP, 17" flat-screen LCD monitor. It cost $649. Pentium 4 is $100 more (don't need it 'cause I NEVER DO ANYTHING WITH GAMES OR MOVIES). I've got the sole Compaq at work- it's OK, ITS problems are associated with windows 98 (no surprise there). Most of our others are eMachines, they're cheap and it shows. Run VERY slow, constant glitches.

Old 02-03-2004, 07:20 PM
christaylor
Posting Guru
MY HP Laptop is great but hp supportis a little weak. I can find the driver updates on the web but not the actual drivers. Good machine though.

Chris

Old 02-03-2004, 07:23 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
http://www.gotapex.com/deals.php . But, as Dennis said, you should see what youre local computer stores offer. If you get the blue screen of death, or worse, you will probably be glad that you can run right down there and have it take care of.

Rich

Old 02-03-2004, 08:38 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
I've had lousy luck with both HP and Compaq computers. Last December when I decided to upgrade I called Dell, but it seemed as though my phone call got transfered to India; they were incapable/not interested in understanding what I was looking for and transfered my phone call from department to department until I was back where I started; total time wasted was 30 minutes and only because I gave up waiting for them and hung up. Nice company. It was obvious their customer service was no better than HP and Compaq.

In the end, I researched and built my own computer. My major supplier of componenets is just 3 1/2 miles (10 minutes) from my house and when I need to talk/get support I can do it in person and face-to-face, not via telephone to India or wherever else. Yeah, the components cost a bit more than they would if I bought online, but I can talk to a real live human being to get things resolved, not some automated touch tone telephone voice that directs me to a website or some "tech" that knows less than I do.

On a lighter note, I seem to have had back luck 2X in a row until I built my own computer. I have buddies tha have HP, Compaq, Dell, and Emachines and they are 100% satisfied. IMHO, if you bring these machines home and if they work like they are supposed to, then you'll be just fine. On the other hand, these "off-the-shelf machines are not always lending to future upgrades or performance "tinkering" on behalf of the user. I might get some nasty feedback for this, but I'd look for an AMD processor. When you compare performance (and performance IS what matters overall; processor frequency in itself is NOT everything, contrary to popular belief) of AMD vs Intel, you will find that AMD offers more for the buck. The performance comparisons should speak for themselves.

On edit:

Here just one comparison of AMD vs Intel. Oddly, hyper threading, which should improve Intel performance acutally hurts it in this comparison.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...4_3750,00.html

Last edited by CowboyBilly9Mile; 02-03-2004 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:26 PM
clava
Freshman User
Guys, thanks a bunch for the replys.
As for upgrading the one I've got, the monitor is going out. Some
pictures are very dark, and I have it as bright as it will go. The lowest price I have found locally is about $119.00 @ Walmart.

Most of the deals I have seen have been a computer bundle, including the monitor.

All the points you guys have made are good. I guess I will keep scratching my head for a few more days until I decide which route to go.

Thanks again,
Clava

1995 Ford F-150
Have you driven a Ford lately? I have and I love it!!

Old 02-03-2004, 10:25 PM
mbnv992
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
It's easy -

Dell - Home PC
Laptop - Toshiba

Old 02-03-2004, 10:52 PM
fordman428
Posting Guru
when i upgrade i usually sell my old computer to a local computer store and buy a new but the DELL i got now will be gone soon i have had a lot of trouble with it, i wouldnt reccomend a DELL after the trouble ive had with mine.

Old 02-03-2004, 10:56 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had good luck with my Dell. My wife's Dell is good too.
I previously had Compaqs and they were ok too but the customer service wasn't that great. And yes when you call Dell's tech support you talk to someone in India but they really dont seem that bad. I'd rather talk to someone on our side of the pond but.....

Old 02-03-2004, 11:06 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I like our Gateway, its been very reliable, and Gateway customner support is awesome.

They are on sale right now, and if you wait around a bit, they should have free shipping pretty soon. That'll save you $125.

Old 02-03-2004, 11:36 PM
gkbid
Senior User
I suggest you check out www.tigerdirect.com

I've purchased a number of computers through them for business and home. Have had good luck with AMD Atholon and Pentium 4 processors, but would shy away from Duron and Celeron. Have been real happy with two laptops I recently purchased that were HP refurbished. Also pleased with Dell. I wouldn't buy another Gateway...the components were proprietary and expensive to upgrade. I think you could get a decent desktop setup with recordable CD & DVD for under $500 through Tiger. Also, if you're comfortable building it yourself they've got some real good values in barebones systems.

Good Luck

Old 02-04-2004, 12:12 AM
haroutd
Posting Guru
Location: I'm lost somewhere in NJ -- can someone please find me?!?!?!?
Originally posted by mbnv992
It's easy -

Dell - Home PC
Laptop - Toshiba
I worked in the tech sector for quite some time, and have helped many friends pick out their computers. mbnv992 pretty much summed it up. Except Toshiba is starting to lose their edge in the Laptop market. In any case, if you want the best home machine your $$$ can buy, go with a Dell. Then again, my budget has never been lesss than $1,000 when buying a new PC, and is often in the $1,750+ range. And I have always felt it was well spent with Dell -- the warantees are worth it, too. Just try and get local support for a computer and you'll pay through your nostrils.

If you're looking for the least expensive/budget machine, then buy whatever's on sale. Those cheap HP/emachines etc. are often very limited in their capacities to upgrade, if at all. They're like disposable lighters. They will work well during their limited life span. When done, throw them out and buy a new one. As cheap as they are, it's easy to do.

Quick Reply: I need a new computer