General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

So- What's Bush's Excuse?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 07:35 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So- What's Bush's Excuse?

Listening to Bill O'Reilly on the way home last night, he was talking about John Kerry's proposals to fix ALL the problems in this country. O'Reilly's question was: Clinton had 8 years to fix these same problems (pollution, crime, health care, etc...)- why didn't HE fix them when he had the opportunity? Now, I couldn't call in (he probably would have hung up on me, anyways), but what he failed to mention was Clinton's Perfect Excuse:

"Hey, I tried my best, but I had a hostile, Republican-led Congress to deal with. They fought me at every turn"

Bear with me here, I'm playing devil's advocate. I'm not saying it was a LEGITIMATE excuse, but it's at least a VIABLE one. Now, we have a Republican President with a Republican Congress- and what have they accomplished? And when was the last time the same party controlled the House of Representatives, Senate and White House simultaneously? They've had a tremendous oportunity to actually accomplish something, and just what have they done? Proposed budgets that are spending us into oblivion. Just another huge disappointment from Washington. What a shame.

So, let me re-state the question: What's Bush's excuse?

Old 02-02-2004, 07:46 PM
agman10426
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey 1956MarkII, i encourage you to take this discussion in the 'President' thread... ive been posting some of his policies and results in there. as for your question...

What's Bush's excuse?
im not sure he needs one

post some evidence of his 'failed' policies, or what you think he needs to have an excuse about in the 'President' thread (that way we can keep all this discussion in one thread )

you give me some detail, and ill show you some further accomplishments of President Bush and his administration

thanks for bringing this up man, i was tempted to bring up that clinton argument a minute ago in the other thread...
i refrained though

-Tim

Old 02-02-2004, 08:17 PM
FordFadgeole
Postmaster
Bush doesn't have an excuse.Actually he is a poor excuse.I find it hard to find anything good about his term in office.

Old 02-02-2004, 09:07 PM
whistler
Senior User
Re: So- What's Bush's Excuse?

Originally posted by 1956MarkII
....O'Reilly's question was: Clinton had 8 years to fix these same problems (pollution, crime, health care, etc...)- why didn't HE fix them when he had the opportunity?

....So, let me re-state the question: What's Bush's excuse?

If you really believe that those problems will ever be solved, well, I don't know what to say.

These are problems that have plagued humanity forever and will continue to do so. The best any administration can do is ameliorate the problems and their concordant consequences. That is all, nothing more.

Whistler

Old 02-02-2004, 10:25 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by agman10426
post some evidence of his 'failed' policies,
500 billion dollar deficit

virtually all foriegn countries mad at the US

Social Security becoming less solvent each day

hows that for starters?

Old 02-02-2004, 10:35 PM
skuteman
Elder User
...............Bush has NO excuses....that have any plausability to them that a rational mind might be willing to accept. He and the other controlling members of the house and senate have been buying the votes of both Dems and Rep's by forking over huge amounts of deficit dollars for "Porky the Pig" projects all over the country.
.............The reason this IS possible is because they are still using the "9\11" excuse for large deficits and you know that "deficits don't count"....rationale ...BS. My retort would be ...if you(Bush) think deficits Don't count just wait till US voters get our chance to put our foot in your ****. I'm a life long Republican and I remember very distinctly what Ronald Regan thought OF deficits. But, I'm going to vote for a Dem for the first time in my Life because I don't think Bush deserves a second Term. And, i may have some serious philosophical differences with whomever the dems choose as their candidate , but I don't think our finanical system can stand four MORE Years of Borrowing at or Near the Current levels. .........s.kuteman

Old 02-02-2004, 10:50 PM
discorabbit
Junior User
Hip Hip....--like pirates toasting a nice booty!

Old 02-03-2004, 12:18 AM
Targus
FIX YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS!
Originally posted by skuteman
...............Bush has NO excuses....that have any plausability to them that a rational mind might be willing to accept. He and the other controlling members of the house and senate have been buying the votes of both Dems and Rep's by forking over huge amounts of deficit dollars for "Porky the Pig" projects all over the country.
.............The reason this IS possible is because they are still using the "9\11" excuse for large deficits and you know that "deficits don't count"....rationale ...BS. My retort would be ...if you(Bush) think deficits Don't count just wait till US voters get our chance to put our foot in your ****. I'm a life long Republican and I remember very distinctly what Ronald Regan thought OF deficits. But, I'm going to vote for a Dem for the first time in my Life because I don't think Bush deserves a second Term. And, i may have some serious philosophical differences with whomever the dems choose as their candidate , but I don't think our finanical system can stand four MORE Years of Borrowing at or Near the Current levels. .........s.kuteman
Amen.

Old 02-03-2004, 02:54 AM
AlfredB1979
Posting Guru
Bush got one reprieve to shore up the military take Clinton raped away. Thw WTC bombing about 10 years ago that took out the basement didn't happen because the intelligence sector was well supported.

But Dang, how about run Iraq this way:

Corner Sunni triangle, drop leafs in Arabic telling all good guys to walk away from said triangle....bomb away and let them go back to killing each other again. There can NEVER be peace over there. Tribal fueds run VERY DEEP! Western culture doesn't get that....and never will!

While we're at it, if it's about oil, stop pretending and bring in (drum roll please) the very well qualified Halliburton (liberals are screaming now) to pump that black gold out of the ground! Liberals with their gas guzzlers can get to work (whatever they do for work) now....like Ariana Huffington and her Mercedes SUV...er, her hubby's SUV.

P.S. Memo to Ryan: France, Germany, and Russia do not count "as virtually all foriegn countries mad at the US".

I say that mainly because not a single one of them or any other country in the world (let's say Iran for that matter) would turn away our assistance in any way, shape, or form.

Old 02-03-2004, 04:21 AM
Brian_Puff
Senior User
Man i love our country.

How Friggen lucky are we that not only we can bash our president, but you can bash the whole workings of the government all togather and it is no big deal.

Thats what makes this country beautiful. there will always be people who are unhappy about everything . thats how a democracy works. if it were up to one person or one party even to try and fix everything... i cant even imagine what would happen.

like it or hate it every president has done lots of good as well as bad. being president, i'm sure, isnt anything like running a fast food restraunt. every choice, every decision has good and bad sides.

you want to give social security more money>>? that money has to come from somewhere. its just like you and your spouse. ... you want to have another toy??? that money just doesnt find its way into your checkbook on its own. so now you'll have to pull it from the kids college fund. or vice versa, you want to save for the kids college fund? ok that mens no more 6 thousand channels of digital cable.

i'm sure i'll get some heat about this, but i'm cool with it. i've never claimed to be a political whizz, i'm a mechanic for gods sake.

Old 02-03-2004, 09:55 AM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Re: Re: So- What's Bush's Excuse?

Originally posted by whistler
If you really believe that those problems will ever be solved, well, I don't know what to say.

These are problems that have plagued humanity forever and will continue to do so. The best any administration can do is ameliorate the problems and their concordant consequences. That is all, nothing more.

Whistler
Agreed, the reality is they won't ever be completely solved. But O'Reilly asked why Clinton didn't solve these problems when he had the chance. He conveniently forgot to mention Bush's missed opportunity of his own party working to solve SOME of our problems. It's been YEARS since one party had control of Executive and Legislature; the current opportunity to end the political grid-lock has been wasted. Such a missed opportunity is a shame, regardless of which side of the fence you sit on. What has the Bush administration done to "ameliorate" these problems? Education? Health Care? Employment? Environment? NATIONAL SECURITY??? Does anyone here actually feel as secure as they did on September 10, 2001? I know I don't. Hell, a streaker can easily slip into the "highest-security-ever" Super Bowl, a kid can plant psuedo-bombs on airplanes just to make a point. 2 1/2 years is enough time to see SOME improvements in national security, isn't it?
I'm thinkin' Bush's greatest political fear right now is another major domestic terrorist attack before November. If there is one, we can be virtually GUARANTEED of a Democrat in the White House come November.

Old 02-08-2004, 07:11 AM
FordFadgeole
Postmaster
It seems Bush is starting to address some of the domestic issues.He may have waited a little too long to do so.He is slowly losing support.

Old 02-08-2004, 07:58 AM
skuteman
Elder User
.............I believe some of the most outragious plundering of the treasury and usurping of our constitutional right(s) has occured when ONE party has had control of both senate and house as well as the executive branch. And, it seems as if the Bush adm is going full tilt currently as we post here.
.............CHECK THIS......The Lobbyists are going to be pressing BUSH to pass legislation during this session of Congress that they KNOW will not see the light of day ....If a Dem becomes Prez. Also, If a Dem wins the Prez. it is also quite possible that they might also pickup control of one side of congress as well.
............The Lobbyists for Visa\M.Card are Pressing both houses of Congress to pass the Bankruptcy reform Bill which has been languishing in the House for months. It will turn the whole system on its head. The Dems have vowed not to LET it see the light of day in the Senate. s.kuteman

Old 02-08-2004, 08:31 AM
georgedavila
Postmaster
The sole focus of the current administration has been on re-election efforts to avoid the historical stigma of both Bushs being one-term presidents.

If you look at the 2005 budget, due for implementation one month before the national election, it becomes very apparant more of the same is ahead. 'Defense' spending is up 7%, without inclusion of Afghanistan or Iraq, (supplementry funds that never hit the budget will be used until after the 2004 election), or $30-billion for the new homeland security empire (there are still a lot of nail clippers out there and that's now considered domestic spending), vote buying tax cuts that will spur consumer spending but have no relation to manufacturing will be repeated, the sham Medicare prescription bill is yet unfunded and domestic government spending other than Homeland Security will take a 1% reduction. That's about as fiscally irresponsible as I can imagine.

Estimates of the 2005 deficit keep mounting, as Washington doesn't include Iraq, the Medicare prescription bill, reduced tax revenue (for the past three years, a record), the tax breaks (actually additional reduced tax revenue as they stimulate consumer spending, not export revenue), leased air refueling aircraft for the military and various other smokescreen efforts to avoid the harsh truth in an election year.

I'll be voting, for the first time in my life, for whatever the demos serve up. The way I look at it, Bin laden is still on the loose, we're mired in the quicksand of Iraq for some time to come, the dollar is going to hades, I'm being lied to on a constant basis, my tax money is being squandered enhancing the standard of living for other countries and building a 'Homeland Security' empire that's a real joke. Enough is enough. At least the demos always seemed to spend the money at home.

Old 02-08-2004, 08:56 AM
mick460
Elder User
I find it very narrow minded that one man is held responsible for all the actions of others. President Bush only dictates (poor choice of words) what could/should be done. He does not stand guard at a Super Bowl, he is not that security officer at the airport, he isn't undercover digging up intelligence, standing guard at our borders and the list goes on. So why is the blame put entirely on him. I believe this with every president. It's the poor uneducated, slacking, don't give a darn American worker. Where being cool means more than being smart. Where $100+ tennis shoes and how much alcohol you consume is the barometer. Where getting paid for what we do is never enough in our minds. Where screwing the next guy attitude is oh so important. There seems to be little team work from the top on down. All we have in this great country is whinng, crying babies that have 20/20 hindsight and always can point out what went wrong. God knows you people never will harp about something that hasn't happend. Little or no for thought. I see this every day in the trucking industry. What could be one of the most powerful groups is nothing more than a bunch of dirty diaper crying babies. It's to bad but we all have excepted this behavior.

Quick Reply: So- What's Bush's Excuse?