Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

Brake Shoes Worn Already????

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 04:18 PM
89Bronco_EddieBauer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Shoes Worn Already????

I replaced my rear brake drums, shoes and wheel cylinders in my 89EB Bronco 351W. Ive recently noticed a relentless squeel coming from underneath the truck in the rear. No Specific side tho. Anyway, I dismissed the Idea of the shoes, because i replaced them about 9 months ago. Ive only out about 6000 miles on them.

Well, I replaced all the U Joints on the front and rear driveshafts, and the squuel is still there.

Could it be that the shoes are already worn?

The squeel is constant with my foot on the gas, off the gas, and on the brake. However, the squeel changes pitch when I apply the brakes.

If the shoes are worn, what brand should I get to stop this from happening.

Old 02-02-2004, 11:49 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Your shoes should last at least 2x as long as the front pads. I would tend to think a constant squeal was a bad wheel bearing. If you have a 9 inch axle, this is easy to determine just by pulling the axle. I would check the rear axle fluid level too.

Old 02-03-2004, 05:01 AM
missouguy
Elder User
I'm no expert, but you might check your assembly. There may be a spring out of whack, or that darned parking brake cable. I hate drum brakes, and I have to do mine soon.

Good luck

Frank

Old 02-04-2004, 02:16 AM
longview1
Fleet Mechanic
I also have to do my rear brakes. Never done drum before. Looks to be not alot of fun, especially in the -20* . If its really that bad and i get mad ill find someone to finsih my job. Any tips???

Old 02-05-2004, 02:27 AM
bsmith
Freshman User
If the squeal changes when you hit the brakes, it most likely is related. I would jack up the rear and see if I could determine which side is noisey by spinning the wheels(by hand). Failing all else, it's not such a big deal to pull the drums and take a look. I suspect that a spring or clip, or something may be out of place. Better safe than sorry.

Old 02-05-2004, 10:56 AM
trwatson
New User
rear brakes look harder then they actually are, the first thing to do if you already don't have one is pick up a brake spring tool,they are fairly cheap and help out alot, the springs themselves are different colors,but if they is alot of brake dust they all look the same, brake cleaner helps clean this off, if this is your first time it would help if you either draw out the springs and position or have both drums off and do one side at a time so you can refer to the other side. the easiest way I have found is to assemble the bottoms first,take note of the spring around the star adjuster if not put on the correct way the adjuster will not work, there is 4 or 5 points on the dust cover back plate that need to have grease on them, helps the assembly move easier,they are flat spots on the plate about 1/2" long, turn the star adjuster in to compensate for the ware of the old brake pads, when you get it all back together you should beable to put on the drum with no rubbing of the pads if there is adjust the star adjuster in again and retry, last but not least when all finished rive in reverse and use the brakes this adjusts the correct postion of the star adjuster. the first time is the worst but the second side will go much faster, hope this helps.