Intake Manifolds High Rise, Low Rise....

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 01:42 PM
Ryan356
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake Manifolds High Rise, Low Rise....

I just had a question about intake manifolds. I know that when you go from single plane to dual plane manifolds it increases the RPM power band. So is it better to put a single plane manifold like the edelbrock performer on my 351w for my truck or something like the torker from edelbrock. I have desktop dyno and put my combo in with a single plane manifold and it puts out great numbers I am looking for but when I put in the dual plane manifold the numbers drop like a rock. What is the reason for this? Is the cam that I am running (made for mid range power) not compatible with the dual plane which is made more for high rpm power? Im trying to get as much power out of this motor I can while keeping it on the low end. So I guess my question is which manifold is best? I was thinking the performer from edelbrock. Single plane for low to mid range power.... Are there any other single plane manifolds that flow better than this one I should consider? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Ryan C

Old 01-30-2004, 08:14 AM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
I think you may have that backwards.

Dual plane is for low to mid range torque.

Single plane is for high end hp.

If I were to suggest an intake for a truck, it would be either performer or performer rpm depending on cam selection, and the rest of your drivetrain setup, stall speed, gears etc. If the rest of the drivetrain is stock you might lean towards the performer, if its a little better than stock then the performer rpm.

If you want a good dual plane intake that is good from idle to whatever, then the weiand stealth intake is a good one, have had experience with it as well.

What cam are you looking at?

You might take into considertion where the hp is being made on the simulation. More hp doesn't always mean better. Your after a lot of torque that starts low and goes right on up into the rpm's.

Good luck

Old 01-30-2004, 09:08 AM
Ryan356
Senior User
The cam i want to use is a crane retrofit roller. It has .542 intake lift and 0.563 exhaust lift. It is made for mid range power I believe. When I put it on with a performer rpm heads and a 700 cfm carb it makes 475 HP @ 6000 RPMs and 452 ft*lb torque @ 5000 RPMs it still maintains good low end torque too with 363 ft*lbs @ 2500 RPMs. When I change the intake from a single plane to a dual plane the numbers fall significantly. After looking at it more you are right it does gain a little bit on the low end when i go from single plane to dual plane. But on the top end it loses a lot of hp and torque. I think I would rather sacrifice the few ft*lbs at bottom to gain the extra 30-40 horses on top end. So seeing this, do you think its smart to go with the performer or the performer rpm. The performer RPM is a dual plane and would kill the top end while the performer should give me more on top while sacrificing some on the low end?

Old 01-30-2004, 12:26 PM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
Your gonna hate me now. I would not use that cam in a truck, unless your thinking its gonna be a drag only or weekend vehicle. Your gonna need a high stall converter and some low gears, 4.10 no doubt, to really get into the powerband, so to speak, quickly off idle. Trying to move a lot of weigh (truck) I would sacrafice top end hp for all the low end torque I could get for a street vehicle. If you don't upgrade the stall converter and gears, you may never see the potential of the motor. To be honest I would think you should shoot for the peak hp to fall around 4500rpm if you want to keep the truck for mainly street use, even then higher stall and lower gears could only help. I am not trying to tell you what to do, so please don't take it that way. Just my opinion. I would still recommend the weiand stealth its a dual plane that is claimed to work from idle-6500 or so rpm, and I have experience with them and they are nice, or the performer rpm would do just as well. What is the lobe seperation of the cam? What heads are you using? Did crane recommend this cam? Later

Last edited by jwtaylor; 01-30-2004 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:41 PM
Ryan356
Senior User
I didnt call crane I have been working solely with the desktop dyno software. I want a truck that is fast for the most part and be able to tow occasionally. I have a manual tranny and 4.09 gear ratio w/33's on it now. What other cam would you reccomend to make high horsepower as well as decent low end torque? I think the combo I got now has decent low end torque. It also has really good horsepower when you really want to step on it and take care of some ricers. I dont know what the lobe seperation is on the cam right now but basically this thing is made for eover 9.5 to 1 compression and for high horsepower. The heads I want are performer rpms from edelbrock. Im also planning on putting roller rockers on as well. Keep in mind that this is my first buildup and could use some pointers. Thanks for the info though.

Ryan