Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Engine Won't Fire

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 06:12 PM
gmtoaster
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Won't Fire

Howdy,

Just found this site. Lots of useful info.

My friend just bought a used 2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer with the 4.0L SOHC engine, 5 speed auto, and pretty much all the fixins (30000 kms). Normally the truck runs without a glitch and everybody loves it, until it drops below -25 degrees C (about -15 degrees F) indicated on the trucks external vehicle temperature sensor. Then the engine turns over no problem, but the engine won't fire. At first when the vehicle is cold soaked, it starts no problem. After the truck has reached operating temperature and is shut down for less than ten minutes, the problem occurs. After sitting for ten minutes, it will start reluctantly (obviously because of huges amounts of fuel in the cylinders). A Ford technician found if the problem occurs, holding the accelerator to the floor will allow the engine to start, but the problem will occur later on again.

The check engine light doesn't come on, various fuel stations have been used for fuel, gasline antifreeze has been used, there is a strong smell of fuel at the tailpipe (obviously enough fuel is being supplied to the motor), Ford techs haven't found any fault codes on the computer, the computer has been reset, and the problem only occurs when it is cold.

The Ford techs have no idea, and the only theory my friend and I have is a faulty computer as a faulty sensor would send an error code.

Has anybody else had this problem or heard of it/or have a solution?