6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 PSD - a good story

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 09:40 PM
pocobueno
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 6.0 PSD - a good story

If you are considering buying a 6.0 PSD but have been scared off by some of the horror stories you’ve seen here, let me balance the reports with my good news. When the 6.0 performs as advertised, it is a thing of beauty.

I just made a 650 mile road trip with my May 03 build 6.0. I started out from my West Texas home and headed East into the Texas hill country. Just hauling the family and luggage, I got 19 MPG.

The 6.0 PSD had tons of power to spare. Going up and down hills in the Buchanan Dam area, the 5-speed Torqueshift tranny almost never went out of overdrive; It shifted smoothly and predictably. Cornering in the turns was surprisingly easy given the size of the truck.

The traffic in Austin was heavy, as usual, so I had to floor the pedal at times to get into traffic. There was no hesitation at all when I gunned it and I was able to go from 0 to 60 MPH in 3 seconds… well, maybe not that fast, but it did move faster than my old Dodge Caravan which had Dodges biggest optional engine in it.

I love the looks I get when I pull up next to a vehicle with a lesser engine. The clackity-clack of the diesel just screams power - very masculine. The Crew Cab has that most space of any truck in its class.

In my old Caravan, I had to put one boy on the front bench and the other on the rear bench to stop the fighting. But even though they are now on the same bench, there still is enough room to keep them separate and hold all their toys, books, etc..

Coming home today, there was a strong headwind but I wouldn’t have known it if it wasn’t for the flags flapping in the wind. The power of the engine disregarded the wind entirely.

As for engine noise, it is pretty loud, especially when it is cold and going at low speeds or when accelerating (although I like the sound) but at highway speeds it is no louder than most gas engines.

Sure, there are bad engines out there, but not all - or even most - of them are bad. My early 03 build PSD (supposedly not a good build) has behaved like a gentle giant. If you’re on the fence, go ahead.

poco

Old 01-25-2004, 09:51 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree and so far have only needed the flashes (October and December).

I purchased my Excursion in August and now have 15,000 miles on the ODO.

Go ahead and buy... it'll be an 04 model anyway.

Good luck and have fun,

Old 01-26-2004, 07:29 AM
BossEliminator
Junior User
Got one on order with a build date of 02-02-04.

4x4 PSD SC wedgewood blue/silver

Old 01-26-2004, 08:42 AM
"Luke" SdeS
Elder User
Poco

Very nice,..........thank you for the feedback.......

Old 01-26-2004, 10:16 AM
AAFD
Junior User
I to have had good luck with my 04/03 Ford PSD, I love the power and im getting 17 to 18 MPG combined! It is as good as my 01 dodge!

KC

Old 01-26-2004, 11:46 AM
Txfodiesel
Junior User
Sure would like to no how yall are getting that good of gas mileage. Seems to me that most people with 4x4s are getting between 10 and 16 mpgs. The best i can get empty is around 16 and that was a trip from ft.worth to fredericksburg and back. Sure wish they were all built with the same good quality.

Old 01-26-2004, 12:25 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There you go Tx...
you answered it yourself - having to dodge all those horses "where the West begins" is it!

J/K, of course, I'm in the metroplex too...
but there are SO many variables...
tire size, u have...
lift, u have...
tire air pressure,
weight you're carrying in the truck,
if the tires are out of alignment...
heck, on my 02 Ex a rear sway bar helped my mileage, because without it I had to almost stop to make a turn, with it I could actually carry some speed around a corner and not have to accelerate from a stop each corner !!!

but most detrimental to fuelage is the driving style...
if you're like me I GO hard all the time...
seems I'm never on time for anything and have to...

but for this near 8k truck I can't complain about the fuelage...
in fact, I haven't checked in a LONG time since it is of such little conequence to me... I bought the truck, it gets what it gets with the way I drive it and unless it changes rapidly from something breaking, it's probably all it will do...

so I am happy with it and just enjoy driving it...

And it STILL gets as good or better mileage as my wifes car...

Thought about getting a diablo tuner??? IF you drive it sanely, they actually do add a few more mpgs along with much more fun factor...

Last edited by jdadamsjr; 01-26-2004 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:13 PM
aurora_1
Junior User
Originally posted by Txfodiesel
The best i can get empty is around 16 ........
Tx,

Is 16 empty the best you did before adding the 35" tires and 6" lift? I would think you took a little hit on mpg with the lift over a stock 4x4. If you are getting 16 now (best case) then I wouldn't be surprised that pre lift you would also have been 17-18 mpg.

Old 01-26-2004, 01:45 PM
Txfodiesel
Junior User
Came from the dealer with the lift and bigger tires. Sure is odd that my buddy with a 7.3 and the same lift and tires is getting around 18mpg empty. Ford told us we would be getting 10% or better over the 7.3. Sure are alot of us wondering why were not..
Dont get me wrong, I would think that with a lift you would get "alittle" less gas mileage but come on.....That diesel ought not no that it even has a lift with all that torque. Not much different aerodynamically. At least not 4 mpg different or so.

Old 01-26-2004, 02:26 PM
donjuanmiguel
Senior User
POCO,

Great post. I can't agree with you more. I have an PSD with a build date of 8/29/03 and assembly date of 9/19/03. It has not had either the Oct or Dec flashes and runs like a champ. I average 17mpg combined driving. The best I've gotten on the highway was 20 doing about 72 mph. That's better than our 02 explorer.

My family loves the size, I love the convenience of being able to carry everything, including the potty (I have 3 daughters ages 5, 3, & 1.5). We think its a great addition to our family.

My only recommendation is to take it out for an extended test drive and if possible, keep it overnight. This way you can get to know all the noises and determine if its a good or poor build.

John

Old 01-26-2004, 03:49 PM
pocobueno
Junior User
Originally posted by Txfodiesel
Sure would like to no how yall are getting that good of gas mileage.
I only use 2D fuel (which is all there is here). I don't have a 4X4, and am not heavy on the pedal, and don't haul too often. I accelerate at a reasonable pace. I use the cruse control and always go the speed limit. I keep the tires at the proper inflation. And, perhaps most importantly, I buy my fuel from a place that sells a lot of fuel so it's fresh.

You may do all the same things too

poco

Old 01-26-2004, 04:24 PM
westwardbound
Junior User
I'm getting good millage too 18-19 mpg. Drove from Vermont to Colorado without even a hickup. Was getting over 400 miles per fill up and not running it empty. I was loaded down too. Had my whole life in the back. I don't know how much weight exactly but I had too pay extra at the toll booths. Just wanted to add another possitive story. Hate hearing about all the problems. It makes me nervous.

Old 01-26-2004, 05:13 PM
LoneRacer
Freshman User
Gentlemen,

Thank you for the positive feedback. It's good to hear some of the success stories. westwardbound, I too get nervous when reading some of the horror stories of things some folks have experienced. I am getting an 03-F550 6.0psd. It is new (250 miles) and has an Eclipse - Thoroughbred conversion on it. I will be towing a fairly large 5th wheel RV.

I currently have a 95- F350 - 7.3psd with 221000 miles on it. It has been a great truck for the smaller 5th wheel I had. Total weight on that rig was 18600 and I averaged 10.5 mpg towing. I have kept a very thorough spreadsheet log since 95. Not guessing at mpg at all.

I am going with the F550 because I need more power and stability. The F550 has DRW and Granning air suspension. I just hope the drive train delivers what is advertised. As pocobueno says, if it performs as advertised it should be a thing of beauty!

Thank You pocobueno
LoneRacer

Last edited by LoneRacer; 01-26-2004 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:24 PM
jessfactor
Elder User
the f550 offers 3 diesels. cummins, cat, and powerstroke. i'd do alot of research on them before you choose one. i'm not sure where the cat ranks in the three but i'm pretty sure the cummins would outperform the powerstroke considering it is a heavy duty engine.

Old 01-26-2004, 05:43 PM
LoneRacer
Freshman User
I believe the Cat and possibly the Cummins are only options on the F650 and F750. I don't believe they are an option for the F550. I could be wrong but someone else a few days ago posted that when I mentioned getting an F550.

Quick Reply: 6.0 PSD - a good story