Is it really possible to get more horses out of the new 5.4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 09:39 PM
schmidt
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Is it really possible to get more horses out of the new 5.4?

I own a 2002 F-150 with the 5.4. I love the truck but I'm starting to look around at trucks. I really like the new F-150 crewcab, but I can't get a decent sized box on it (6.5 foot). I won't buy a chevy (piston slap with the 6.0 and only have power at high rpm, poor mileage). The 3/4 dodge I drove was amazing. It pains me to say it, but the Hemi would crush the new 5.4 and the chevy 6.0. Why buy the massive ford v10 or the 8.1 chevy, even though I could pass everything but a gas station? Personally, I think the triton 5.4 is going to run out of cubes, if ford tries to keep up with dodge or chevy. Do any of you think the 5.4 is simply too small to compete with the rest? Sure ford can jack up the horses and torque but the rpm's are going to rise!!!!! I'm starting to look at the dodge, but I wish dodge made a true four door truck. Ford vs. Dodge, who knows????

Old 01-21-2004, 09:46 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Re: Is it really possible to get more horses out of the new 5.4?

Originally posted by schmidt
Do any of you think the 5.4 is simply too small to compete with the rest?
As a matter of fact I do. I personally think that ford should have built a better engine to replace the 5.4. Chevy and Dodge have already come out with new a better engines to replace the old ones. Their newer engines all seem to be more fuel efficient with plenty of power to go around. Look at the Hemi and the new as well as quieter Cummins, plenty of power and fuel efficient as long as you don't put your foot to the floor too often. The boys at Ford will get a clue once people start complaining or they just stop buying vehicles equiped with the 5.4.

Old 01-21-2004, 11:09 AM
RX 1 Liter
Senior User
If you want the HP the Hemi outperforms the 5.4 easily. However, if you want the complete package (ride, quality, durability) the Ford with the 5.4 is hands down better IMO. You are right though, we need 30 to 40 more HP while keeping the same torque.

Old 01-21-2004, 11:37 AM
jcreality
Senior User
slower than, stronger than, tougher than, weaker than......etc etc...
I don't get it.
There are Sedans that have more torque than my roadster....
(with more seating room too! They haul more groceries, and perform better in adverse weather. The electronics on the dash are prolly 'nicer' too.)
Trucks that can make it to the next stoplight as fast as I can...
Jetskiis that can hop out of the water better than mine...
And guys that have sexier girlfriends than I do...
People that own a larger tv.......oh wait....no there aren't

SO FRIGGEN WHAT? The 5.4L triton may not have the SAME or greater this or that compared to this or that, but it's a heck of a lot nicer than the 4.6L, and in a truck that is the truck of the '04F150. Ford did not make a "mistake". In years to come, they'll build better/stronger engines. But this one everyone seems to think is a dog......is actually a very good engine.
Nope, not a hemi, not like the Titan's either. But it IS a well-performing engine that powers the best half-ton available on the market today. There will be improvements.
My roadster? It's engine will outperform a Porsche's base roadster and keep up with the "S", and is more reliable than BMWs roadster. Do you think THOSE companies also made a mistake? Are people "going to stop buying them" because of it?
I know I'm painting strange analogies, but I do think they hold a point.
I seem to recall MANY reviewers (including Motor Trend) have commented that the 5.4L triton engine is very strong, smooth, and powerful. Maybe not as much as the Hemi or the Titan, but nor is it the output of a BMW M5, or a cummins diesel, or a jet engine.
When I slap down my wisely-and-sometimes-hard-earned money on something of this level, I will look wisely at the WHOLE picture.
*sigh*

Honestly......I don't see much the Ford company has to worry about with this new truck. Yup.......they'll soon make a stronger engine. 'Tis the nature of the business. But in the meantime, I don't think they are challenged with people refusing their new 5.4L. Wishing it had more? Oh yeah. Don't we all? And why not, eh?

Old 01-21-2004, 11:56 AM
CruelCrew
Senior User
The 5.4L is a proven engine. The 3V modifications, etc, are an improvement. It performs very well overall. Smooth, powerful, quiet, and decent economy. Ford did not make a mistake. And I think sales will show that. My dealer can't keep them on the lot. Ford's had the best selling truck for over 25 years, and not all those years were they the hp leaders.

My best buddy has a new Ram 1500 with the Hemi. He complains more about the fuel mileage (11-12), engine noise, and rattles than he complements the power of the Hemi. He bought it because of the value (7/70 warranty, rebates, etc). But I'd say he is envious of my F-150.

Old 01-21-2004, 12:07 PM
jcreality
Senior User
CruelCrew??

EVERYONE'S envious of your F-150!!

Old 01-21-2004, 04:02 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally posted by jcreality
The 5.4L triton may not have the SAME or greater this or that compared to this or that, but it's a heck of a lot nicer than the 4.6L
Toucher. Well said!

Old 01-22-2004, 09:58 AM
DJBigDog
Freshman User
I have been reading this forum since I bought my 04 SCrew in December. In that time, I have not made may comments about Ford vs ???. I will tell you this, I had decided that I wanted a manual transmission in my next truck. Why? Because I was sick and tired of downshifting everytime I hit the smallest hill. It drove me crazy. My new 04 does not do that. It takes even the pretty good hills and just keeps on truckin. So, for me, I got what I wanted and I still don't have to manually shift. It gets better mileage than my 98 I had, has way more power, pulls my trailer like it's not back there, and is the best vehicle I have ever ridden in. Did I pay a little more than I would have with a Dodge, maybe a little. But I have more truck and it will hold it's value much better. Would I like 350 hp instead of 300?? I quess I would, but I don't know what I would do with it... BD

So, for me, I am VERY HAPPY.

Will there be problems with it? Could be, but that can be said with any of them.
BD

Old 01-22-2004, 06:30 PM
AG4.0
Posting Guru
Tell me the last time that the F-150 has been the fastest most powerful (HP) truck. Somehow it has managed to outsell everything else even having less power. Yes it would be nice if they did, and there has to be more on tap with the new 5.4. Consider that the 4.6 that the new Mustang will get is a 3v with the same 300 HP, true it is at 6000 RPM, but that tells me that if Ford wanted to, they could easily give the 5.4 more, but it would involve more RPM's to do it. That is how the Hemi reaches it's 345, it has to rev up to 5400 RPM to get its max HP, and max torque at 4400 RPM, which means that its gonna take some shifting to pull a decent sized trailer if there is even a slight hill. The 3v 5,4 has a very flat torque curve, which is why DJBigDog's doesn't have to downshift to take a hill. It may not be the fastest from the stop light, mainly do to the extra bulk of the 04, but it is this extra bulk that will make it handle a trailer better than the others.
It would be nice if there was another V-8 option. Imagine a 5.8 modular, with same power/liter as the 5.4. You'd be at about 320 HP, and 392 ft-lbs. OK just wishfull thinking. Maybe Ford's just holding back on the 5.4 until the V-10 gets the 3v tratment. I can imagine that Ford wouldn't want it's V-8 outpowering it's V-10. Maybe just more wishfull thinking, but hey who knows. Ok so I'll stop babbling about what'll never happen. Just remember that a truck is more than just HP, and that's why F-150's have been the best for so long.

Old 01-23-2004, 04:09 PM
Carnivore
Senior User
before you buy a hemi take my advice..... get a spare car. I had a ram and in 37k miles I went through 3 tranny's. It appears the dodge transmission problems are not over.

Old 01-23-2004, 07:21 PM
JMorri
Junior User
With all the aftermarket equipment available, it you want more horsepower or torque, go get it.

Old 01-24-2004, 11:05 AM
bigjack
Elder User
Originally posted by JMorri
With all the aftermarket equipment available, it you want more horsepower or torque, go get it.
I agree ,there are or soon will be performance add ons for th 04 5.4L. Mine has plenty of power for a 5500 LB truck. I have on order a series 70 Flowmaster and plan on a intake soon. These should increase power and gas mileage allowing the motor to breathe easier.
I drove an 02 Harley F150 a few months ago. Awesome power but it comes at a cost. 10-12 mpg and who knows what maint. costs in the future. I don't know what it costs to replace a supercharger but it can't be cheap. Plus it's only 2WD.
I think Ford struck a good balance between power, reliability and mileage with the 04 5.4. If you want a race truck buy a 360 HP Lightning!--Jack

Last edited by bigjack; 01-24-2004 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:51 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want fast, why not get a 5.4L Reg. Cab 5 1/2' bed 4x2?

Old 01-26-2004, 12:15 AM
Vanhecht
Elder User
if you really want fast, go get a lightning!

Old 01-27-2004, 03:51 PM
AG4.0
Posting Guru
In reading the latest Car and Driver comparison of 04 half ton crew cabs. I was looking at acceleration times and trying to figure out what else might be slowing the F-150 down besides weight. I'm sorry, I don't have the article with me and the internet one doesn't have all the specs, but the F-150 was slower than Tundra, Ram, Titan, and Silverado. I must say it does disapoint me. It looks like the gearing is killing it's performance along with it's low red-line. The F-150 peaks in HP as we all know at 5000 RPM, the same as its redline (according to C&D), where the others all rev to at least 5400, and the Titan all the way up to 6000. The F-150 with 3.73's has the highest effective first gear, but do to it's low Redline, would shift at almost similar speeds as the others. Being higher geared however, it is sends less torque to the wheels. Also, if Redline is 5000 and Peak HP is also at 5000 RPM, it loses a lot of potential power at the top end. There is still a lot of power left, even after an engine peaks. I suppose they want the engine to be able to take advantage of its flat torque curve, but if it was teamed up with more effective gearing and allowed to rev a bit more, it would easily shave a half second off of it. I know trucks aren't meant to be dragsters, and I don't care that its not the fastest, it just bugs me that the full potential is not being seen due to poor gearing and not allowing it to rev like it should be able to. True, it is designed for lower RPM driving, but the Titan and Tundra both peak in HP and Torque at lower RPMs, but both will rev higher. I also know that you can get 4.10's on the F-150, but not without upgrading the payload package. The only place where F-150 kept up was in 0-30. It put up a 2.9, the same as I think two others, and only .3 off of the Titan, so it must be getting good low torque. It would just be nice to see a 5-speed auto in it (and manual for that matter) with a lower first gear, to help get a better launch and make it an even more effective puller, or make the 4.10 available without the payload package. And as I said before, it is obese, it was like 800 lbs heavier than the Tundra tested and like 650 lbs heavier than the Titan, and some 300 lbs heavier than the Ram. (don't remember exact figures but are close) So all in all I don't think you can blame the motor for it being slower as much as you can the way the power gets to the wheels. I still think it is a better overall truck, and as I stated I don't ever remember the F-150 being the fastest of half tons. It would just be nice to see the 5.4 be albe to show its full potential.

Quick Reply: Is it really possible to get more horses out of the new 5.4?