Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAP sensor and vacumm leaks

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 04:21 PM
Home Solutions
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAP sensor and vacumm leaks

I have a 1995 Ford F350 Dually 460 EFI thats falling apart fast. I have a few more questions on my quest to make this truck run more like an 8 cylinder and less like a 4 cylinder with bad compression. So far I have ......Replaced the Alternator,
Replaced the Idler Pulley, Belts, Attempted a simple tune up snapping 2 plugs off in the head, drilling one of them out too big for the insert because I listened to a local auto parts guy instead of taking a pair of calipers and measuring the tap. and finally Replaced the fuel rail.

So.... I was driving this truck this past snow storm on the highway and all of a sudden it started running like crap and lacked even more power then usual. It now runs extremely rough and lacks power. I send the pedal to the floor and it smells super rich. I also have had the upper intake manifold off recently to replace the fuel rail. (pin hole at the fuel pressure regulator).

Could it be.... M.A.P sensor, Vacumm Leak or should I be looking somewhere else. Also where and what does the M.A.P sensor look like. and How do you find a vacumm leak on a efi system.

thanks once again

Old 01-21-2004, 12:15 AM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since you smell unburned fuel, I'd look first at the ignition system. Try the easy stuff first... check to make sure one or more plug wires haven't come loose; pull plugs to see if any are fouled; check the timing; etc.

Also, I once purchased a brand new set of spark-plug wires of which two were bad. Strange things can happen.