390 problem????

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 07:15 PM
Swampdonkey09
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 390 problem????

alright guys here we go...... I pour some fuel down the carb and start the truck it runs fine until the fuel is burned out of the carb, it is a brand new edelbrock carb, and it has a brand new fuel pump. for some reason it is not picking up fuel from the tank. I checked all filters and fuel line for blockage and nothin'....so i disconnected both lines from the fuel pump and fuel poured out of the fuel pump so i am confused as far as is it (a). the fuel pump is no good? or is it (b). maybe one of the jets in the carb is screwed up or something. or is it (c). something else.
any help would be appreciated.
Also if you pump the hell out of it it will run for like two seconds and then die like it is out of gas.
I dont know what the heck it is??????????????????

Thank you guys

Old 01-19-2004, 07:30 PM
fordman428
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it sounds like the fuel pump or the filter on the carb but you said you checked that, i would say the fuel pump if its not pumping gas to the carb.

Old 01-19-2004, 08:08 PM
fordfan428
Senior User
Does it run long enough for you to check the float level?..Maybe junk floating around in your tank getting sucked up in the pickup line?..Maybe your pump isn't working, new doesn't mean it works..Disconnect the line from the carb and turn the engine over to see in the pump is pumping..Disconnect the line from the tank, put into a can of gas and see in it sucks it up..A pressure gauge would help a lot..JMO..

Old 01-19-2004, 10:40 PM
fordeverpower
Postmaster
i would replace the fuel pump they are $25.

Old 01-22-2004, 05:49 PM
Fritolay
Elder User
2 things i would check tkae the fuel line off to the carb put it in an empty fuel can crank the motor and see if you are getting fuel if you are edelbrock suggests checking float settings before running carbs float space should be 7/16" of an inch (use a drill bit to check if the are not gently bend the tabs till they are if you got a book with the carb it will tell you how if not try their site.

Old 01-23-2004, 10:27 AM
fordpilot
Senior User
Talking

This is a hard problem to trouble shoot because of all the possible causes.
For fuel delivery problems I have plumbed in a full view fuel
filter just in front of the carb. This gives you the ability to actually see the quantity and quality of fuel being deliverd from the tank.
You can see if your sucking sediment and dirt or more probable
if your state adds corn gas, water. The majority of times it seems that unless the truck has set for long long periods of time the problem is not in the tank,pump filter system but the carb idle system. Hope this helps.

Last edited by fordpilot; 01-23-2004 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:32 AM
Scouder
Posting Guru

If you are able to "pump the hell out of it" and get it to run for a couple of seconds then there has to be fuel in the float bowls, maybe just not enough. Three things pop to mind:

1. Float level set way to low.

This should be very easy to check/fix. If it turns out to be the problem I wouldn't tell anybody

2. Inadequate fuel flow from tank to carb.

This is tougher to find/fix. FordFan428, Fritolay, and others have given you good suggestions. Try 'em and let us know what you find.

3. Vapor lock.

Unlikely if the truck and engine are cold.

-Scouder

Old 03-06-2004, 01:13 AM
Wy Redneck
New User
If you dont get fuel when cranking with the carb supply line off the drine unit for the pump on the cam may have came loose or fallen off

Old 03-06-2004, 07:54 AM
MKPJ1
Senior User
I would go with Frito. Simple stuff first. I had the same problem once. I did exactly what Frito did finding fuel where it was supposed to be? Hooked everything back up and boom she fired right up??
Basically I did the old open the hood and shake the wires fix? I'm not really sure what the problem was. Maybe my impatience or just all new parts?

Ken
68 F100 390
74 Bronco 351W