General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Non-Nuclear Free-Falling Airdropped Munitions

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 09:42 PM
The Don
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non-Nuclear Free-Falling Airdropped Munitions

Ok someone started a thread on cartridges, now let’s talk bombs. Personally I go for, again, the bigger the better theory. Of course I don’t want mass nuclear fallout, at least not in my neighborhood. Personally there are several bombs that I prefer. The first being the BLU-82 “Daisy Cutter”. Introduced in March of 1970 as a field expedient method for carving out helicopter landing zones in the jungles of Vietnam (known as Commando vault airlift operations), the 15,000-pound BLU-82B, more popularly known as the "Daisy Cutter", is arguably the world's largest non-nuclear conventional airdropped munition. The BLU-82 is filled with 12,600 pounds of GSX explosive slurry and when detonated creates a blast wave of over 1,000 lbs. per square inch, which is sufficient to shear an 8" diameter tree off at its base and clear an area approxiamately 260 feet in diameter.

My second choice is the CBU-87 Combined Effects Munition (CEM) cluster bomb. The CBU-87 CEM comprises the SUU-64/B Tactical Munitions Dispenser (TMD), the FZU-39 proximity fuse, and BLU-97/B Combined Effect Bomb (CEB) sub-munitions. With a payload of 202 BLU-97/B sub-munitions and depending in the rotation of the deployment device and altitude of release the area of coverage can range from 70x70 feet to 800x400 feet.

And finally comes the BLU-113 Penetrator “Bunker Buster” The GBU-28 is a 5,000-pound laser-guided conventional munition that uses a 4,400-pound penetrating warhead. The bombs are modified Army artillery tubes, weigh 4,637 pounds, and contain 630 pounds of high explosives. The BLU-113 can penetrate over 100 feet underground and 20 feet of hardened concrete. I like this bomb because it shows America’s ingenuity and creativeness. During the first Gulf War the official go-ahead for the project was given on February 14th and the first 2 operational units were delivered in theater on February 27th.

What are everyone’s favorite non-nuclear free-falling airdropped munitions, or bombs for short?

Signed,
The Don

Old 01-14-2004, 09:54 PM
theshyguy
Elder User
The MOAB is the biggest now. 21,000 lb bomb I believe. I like the Daisy Cutter the best. Just the name, a massive bomb with a sweet lil name.

Old 01-14-2004, 10:11 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
The bigger the better!! Take out as much as you can at one time!

Old 01-14-2004, 10:17 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Anything with Napalm onboard. A fire you can't run away from and a fire you can't put out. Just plain cool.

As far as grenades go, I think them phosphorus / magnesium ones rock.

Old 01-14-2004, 10:31 PM
J. E. Ray
Senior User
Which ever one is falling on somebody else.

Old 01-14-2004, 10:57 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
The Don - are free falling munitions your favorite methods of "solving problems" whenever somebody makes you "very disappointed"?

XXL

Old 01-14-2004, 11:49 PM
The Don
Tuned
I firmly believe in a first strike policy, yes. And in answer to your question.....I like SAM’s and SSM’s as well.

Signed,
The Don

PS
Speaking of first strike policy, what is everyones thoughts on that? For it or against and why?

Old 01-15-2004, 01:22 AM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Originally posted by The Don
I firmly believe in a first strike policy, yes. And in answer to your question.....I like SAM’s and SSM’s as well.

Signed,
The Don

PS
Speaking of first strike policy, what is everyones thoughts on that? For it or against and why?
I don't agree with first strike policies. Think about it this way:

You're in a bar, and there's some scumbag who's generally bothering everybody. You have two options: walk up to him and hit him in the face (unprovoked) or wait until he gives you a good reason to hit him.

Now with Iraq - Saddam Hussein is an evil person. Nobody will argue that. He never did anyone any favors and the Iraqi people are better off without him.

BUT - who are we to say it's time for him to go? The United States is one country of many occupying the planet Earth. We may be the unnofficial spokesperson for almost everyone else, but we should have waited until Saddam gave us a very good reason to go in there and stomp him. That way, everyone would be on our side and things would've gone a bit smoother.

Instead, we went in, blew up a bunch of stuff, killed a bunch of people, and found that Iraq was essentially a chuhahua (sp?) - a nasty little dog that makes a lot of racket but doesn't threaten anybody.

It's like watching a grown man beat up a bunch of 5th graders - kind of embarassing.

That said, what's done is done, so now we've got to finish the job.

XXL

Old 01-15-2004, 02:29 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Moved to PP

Old 01-15-2004, 04:48 AM
FordFadgeole
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's to like about death and destruction?I find bombs are very necessary,but i dont find them very entertaining.

Old 01-15-2004, 10:43 AM
fsnco1
Senior User
gotta love the MLRS ATACMS Block II.... take out a grid square at a time!

Old 01-15-2004, 11:11 AM
pchristman
Laughing Gas
Good reason

Originally posted by BigMattXXL
I don't agree with first strike policies. Think about it this way:

You're in a bar, and there's some scumbag who's generally bothering everybody. You have two options: walk up to him and hit him in the face (unprovoked) or wait until he gives you a good reason to hit him.
Depends upon what the meaning of "bothering" is. If he's calling people names, consider the source. If he's hitting, stabbing, shooting, poisoning, butchering, raping, etc., go hide and call 911. Unless you're an American, with a reputation for helping poor downtrodden folks - then you kick his ***.

Old 01-15-2004, 12:00 PM
Larry Heath
Junior User
Re: Good reason

Originally posted by pchristman
Depends upon what the meaning of "bothering" is. If he's calling people names, consider the source. If he's hitting, stabbing, shooting, poisoning, butchering, raping, etc., go hide and call 911. Unless you're an American, with a reputation for helping poor downtrodden folks - then you kick his ***.
Then they (cops) come and haul you butt away and put you in the jug, for doing bad things to a poor unfortunate that was abused as a child and needs only a good shrink to make him a good person. You on the other hand will need to spend most of you savings to get yourself out of the can, and maybe stay out of prison. Oh the wounders of our modern juditical system.

Later Larry

Old 01-15-2004, 01:03 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Re: Good reason

Originally posted by pchristman
I guess my problem is that I feel we need to take care of our own business before meddling in other people's problems.

We're so busy worrying about everyone else's problems that we're not doing anything at home.

We can spend $87 billion on a country that hates us yet they're slashing funding to my school so my tuition goes up every semester?

We send millions of dollars worth of AIDS cocktails to every other country on the planet. Great. Now tell me again, how many Americans don't have healthcare?

I understand that the rest of the world looks to us for help, but sheesh, don't you think we could help ourselves a bit more? Giving to charity's one thing; giving everything you've got to charity and ending up homeless is another.

I could go on but it's making me angry

Nothing personal Pchristman; this rant isn't directed at anybody. It's just a sequence of thoughts that bother me quite a bit.

XXL

Last edited by BigMattXXL; 01-15-2004 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:11 PM
wabiker
Posting Guru
....Nothing like the smell of Napalm in morning.

Quick Reply: Non-Nuclear Free-Falling Airdropped Munitions