Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 06:42 AM
jhromy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission

Hey all, Im back again with another question...As soon as I accelerate past 45 i feel i guess it's a slip but it doesn't happen all the time, but it happens enough. It happens the second after the spedo goes past 45, I'm going to ford on friday but I know they will not feel anything, but is there something they can hook it up to or is it just a test drive thing? 2002 Explorer

Old 01-13-2004, 06:20 PM
phonebem
Senior User
Does it definately feel like a slip or does it almost feel like there is an extra shift, if it is an extra shift it may well just be the torque converter locking, which should be normal. If is is a slip, not good I'd drop the tranny pan and check for excess band material in the bottom. If you see a lot of band material, start saving for a tranny re-build. They aren't cheap, when I got one done for my old '95 it was $2400 for a warranteed rebuilt towing tranny yours will most likely be in the same price range, but I just realized that yours is most likely under warranty. One more word of advice, if it is bad news, don't let the service guys get away with just fixing what is wrong now. Fight, kick, bite, scream, or just throw a general temper tantrum to get a new tranny. The reasoning is that any metal filings or band material are most likely somewhere else too screwing stuff up there too. One last thing to hopefully lighten the gloomy outlook I have laid out for you, It may just be a clogged fluid filter

Old 01-13-2004, 09:08 PM
jhromy
Senior User
thanks for the reply, i am covered under warrenty and i also have the extended warrenty although ill prob be selling the car over the summer....im going to ford on friday and hopefully they feel it....i don't know what it is, i feel about 3 vibrations from the steering wheel and from the pedal..does that help describe it?

Old 01-15-2004, 09:37 PM
phonebem
Senior User
Unfortunately no, it doesn't really help... in fact it makes me wonder, in fact I can't think of anything that would do that off hand. If you find-out what is doing it please post it, sounds interesting. One other thing, if the Frod dealer doesn't "find" anything try going to a good tranny shop and get a diagnosis then take the diagnosis back to the dealer and see if they ind anything when you tell them where to look.

Old 01-16-2004, 07:46 AM
jhromy
Senior User
which i could tell you what it is but the service department said they are "too busy" to look at it. what a load of crap, after everything with this suv i will never buy another ford again.