1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

odometer and trip stopped

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 05:44 PM
jhdaniels
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
odometer and trip stopped

Please help for some reason my odometer stopped at 106,991 miles and my trip does not work.

thanks
jhd

Old 01-11-2004, 05:46 PM
Nightrain
Posting Guru
Sounds like some of the gears on the backside of the speedomoter are loose or out of line.The only way to know for sure it to take the speedo out and check it.That's about all that it could be,I would think.

Nightrain

Old 01-11-2004, 05:48 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check the speedo cable and the drive gear for the cable. BTW, there is a very slim chance the speedo cable somehow became disconnected from the drive gear.

Old 01-11-2004, 06:10 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not sure what year Ford converted over to it, but the newer Rangers DO NOT have a speedometer cable. The speedometer and odometer are electrically driven from the PCM, which uses a
RABS speed sensor located in the rear differential. Another symptom that this sensor has gone bad, is the tranny will not
shift right (if it is an automatic)........Just look for an electrical connection in the top part of the rear differential.....

Old 01-11-2004, 06:58 PM
maticuno
Posting Guru
I've noticed that both my odometers sometimes get stuck when I reset the trip odometer. Hopefully that is the only problem because that is fixed just by pushing the reset button again.

Old 01-11-2004, 07:20 PM
eigenvector
Elder User
Hesitant Odometer

I've seen that too. Worried me when I reset the trip meter and drove around only to find that it was still on 0000. I did that same thing you did and just punched it again and it started working.

I never did think to check that the odometer wasn't turning as well, I just took it for granted that it works independently of the trip meter.

I reset the trip meter every time I fill up - get my gas milage that way and gives me a rough estimate of how the engine is doing.

Old 01-13-2004, 10:51 AM
jhdaniels
Freshman User
Thanks for the replies

Lastnight I look in my Haynes Ranger manual and I found that it can't be any sensors because my check engine light is not on. If I check the odometer, then I will have to go behind the light bezel....right? Is their anything that I should be looking for. It is very stranger for my odometer to just stop.

Thanks,
jhd

Old 02-05-2004, 12:00 AM
Drifter22
Freshman User
Mine did the same thing and I took the cluster out, thinking the gears came apart or something like that as it quit working right after I filled up, I always reset the trip miles to. All of the gears looked good; there is no speedometer cable on my 1995 Ranger. There two little electric motors on the back and there are a lot of pins that go into the very flimsy printed circuit board that the gauges and speedometer plug into. I would like to know what the voltage and wire colors are for this so I could check the power source to the speedometer. Mine works for awhile then quits for awhile. What I think is happening is when you reset the trip miles, your flexing this whole assembly enough that the pins quit making contact in the circuit board. Let me know Drifter22

Old 02-05-2004, 11:05 AM
jhdaniels
Freshman User
I haven't dug into mine yet

Drifter,

I have not had time to check mine out yet. I am still holding at 106,999. Now it looks like I will be keeping my Ranger forever. Thanks for the reply
jhd

Old 02-05-2004, 03:14 PM
99xlt4.04x4
Posting Guru
IM going to hit my trip and see if mine will stop.... i mean see if mine is broken. lol
Dont fix it til you go to trade it in.